Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ThankYou® Preferred Card, quick question

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

The ThankYou® Preferred Card, quick question

Just wondering guys, is the The ThankYou® Preferred Card only a Visa or does anyone have the Visa Signature version?

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: The ThankYou® Preferred Card, quick question

I have a world MC TYP.  And recently someone posted that they had a Visa Sig version.

Message 2 of 19
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

I see, I also hear some people were able to get the world elite version of it too, does it have an annual fee with the upgraded versions?

I like the Visa Signature for movies purposes, 2 for 1 for summer months at the cinema.

BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 3 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

There's no fee for the upgraded payment network tiers. The only fee they charge is when you get the "better" thank you products, such as the premier and prestige.

I thought the TY preferred comes as a visa signature by default?

The MasterCard variations are available as well but you generally need to find a working link for those on other websites. Not sure if you can call in and apply for the MasterCard version directly.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 19
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
There's no fee for the upgraded payment network tiers. The only fee they charge is when you get the "better" thank you products, such as the premier and prestige.

I thought the TY preferred comes as a visa signature by default?

The MasterCard variations are available as well but you generally need to find a working link for those on other websites. Not sure if you can call in and apply for the MasterCard version directly.

enharu, I received a mailer this week for the World Mastercard version, they gave me the link where to apply & the access code, so it would be a MC.

The only drawback is it's 15k Thank you points for spending $1000.

The Visa offers $50 more.

Still decided what I should do.

Message 5 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

To be honest the only difference between visa and MasterCard for most people is purely aesthetics. I have the World Elite MasterCard version and the only nice aspect is the shiny logo.

If the visa offer gives you a better deal, go with the visa. I got the MasterCard version only because the 5X TY points for gas, groceries and drug stores offer only come in the MasterCard version.

For people who travel internationally frequently, the differences between MasterCard and visa will be more apparent, because certain places tend to favor one network over the other. Then again, I wouldn't use the preferred overseas because of the FTF, so it's not a really a concern whether its visa or MasterCard.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 19
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
To be honest the only difference between visa and MasterCard for most people is purely aesthetics. I have the World Elite MasterCard version and the only nice aspect is the shiny logo.

If the visa offer gives you a better deal, go with the visa. I got the MasterCard version only because the 5X TY points for gas, groceries and drug stores offer only come in the MasterCard version.

For people who travel internationally frequently, the differences between MasterCard and visa will be more apparent, because certain places tend to favor one network over the other. Then again, I wouldn't use the preferred overseas because of the FTF, so it's not a really a concern whether its visa or MasterCard.

Was the 5X TY points for the first 12 months or something?

Right now, I feel that the Visa is probably the best solution, but not spending the extra $500 would be nice too...trying to save money this year, instead of spending lol.

Spent 3000 for the CSP bonus in a month, now I don't really have any major purchases coming up. Not having to spend an extra $500 for the extra $50 would be nice.

Message 7 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

The 5X TY is for the first 12 months. Hopefully they bring the offer back again sometime, but seems unlikely.

It really depends I suppose. If you have difficulty meeting the minimum spend for visa version, go with the MC. No point going out of your way and spending on what you normally wouldn't just to meet minimum spend. I'm having sorta the same issues now since I just opened a few new cards, and on top of that there's 5k in quarterly spend to meet for freedom, discover and cash+.

There's nothing much I need to buy right now since I got most expenses out of the way, but I suppose I will find something to spend on as the holiday season approaches. I haven't been spending as much at restaurants as well because I'm trying to diet Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 19
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
The 5X TY is for the first 12 months. Hopefully they bring the offer back again sometime, but seems unlikely.

It really depends I suppose. If you have difficulty meeting the minimum spend for visa version, go with the MC. No point going out of your way and spending on what you normally wouldn't just to meet minimum spend. I'm having sorta the same issues now since I just opened a few new cards, and on top of that there's 5k in quarterly spend to meet for freedom, discover and cash+.

There's nothing much I need to buy right now since I got most expenses out of the way, but I suppose I will find something to spend on as the holiday season approaches. I haven't been spending as much at restaurants as well because I'm trying to diet Smiley Wink

Went ahead and applied, approved for $4500.

Not bad for what I am going to spend.

Went with the MC version.

Message 9 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

Grats!

If I'm not wrong it comes as a world MasterCard by default, and you can ask for the card to be upgraded to world elite MasterCard as well.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.