Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Ultimate Gas Card Trifecta

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: The Ultimate Gas Card Trifecta

I don't really understand why you call this Gas.  The BoA card can be used even alone, right, to get $100 or so per year.  Yes, that can be used to "offset" AF on other cards or can just be considered as an extra $100 even if you only have no-AF cards.

Similarly the BC (which already gets 5% off gas) can be used to generate as much money as you (and Amex) feel comfortable with!

Message 11 of 29
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

You need penfed platinum rewards, 5% all year.  

Wells fargo and BOFA rewards cards are useless,  Chase Freedom and Discover It, do not have the 5% back for enough of the year, but are still both good cards to have

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 12 of 29
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@csryang wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@csryang wrote:

How much money do you spend on gas each month/year? Is it really worth it to apply for 3 cards just for gas?

Penfed has 5% gas card without annual fee I think but I heard it's hard to get approved.

https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/

Sallie Mae is also a good option for not only 5% gas but 5% for gocerires and amazon. no annual fee either! gas limit of $250/month ( = $12.5 cash back max from the 5% gas)

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Or get 2 Sallie Mae cards. I have 2, but being able to get 5% on up to 2X$250 spent at Gas Stations each month doesnt help me much, since all I ever buy at Gas Stations are half price filled donuts. A couple filled donuts right now does sound like a good idea though. So, do I choose Raspberry filled, or Custard filled... ah, that question has plagued mankind for decades...

Of course, in the 3rd quarter of 2014 both my Freedom and Discover cards will give 5% cash back on Gas Stations as well. Really now, how many donuts do they think a person needs anyways...

Thats a nice set up right there: 2 SM's as well as the Freedom and Discover. On the SM's is one the regular MC and the other the WMC? Is that how you app'd for 2 of the "same" cards?

I think he/she applied for one Sallie Mae and then PC one of the Barclays cards into Sallie Mae, resutling in 2 cards...  I wonder if applying one 6 months after the previous one will work...

First I got the platinum, then 6 months later (Apr 7th to be exact) I applied again and got an instant approval from the computer. That second card was the World Mastercard with a $10,000 limit.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 29
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@csryang wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@csryang wrote:

How much money do you spend on gas each month/year? Is it really worth it to apply for 3 cards just for gas?

Penfed has 5% gas card without annual fee I think but I heard it's hard to get approved.

Sallie Mae is also a good option for not only 5% gas but 5% for gocerires and amazon. no annual fee either! gas limit of $250/month ( = $12.5 cash back max from the 5% gas)

Or get 2 Sallie Mae cards. I have 2, but being able to get 5% on up to 2X$250 spent at Gas Stations each month doesnt help me much, since all I ever buy at Gas Stations are half price filled donuts. A couple filled donuts right now does sound like a good idea though. So, do I choose Raspberry filled, or Custard filled... ah, that question has plagued mankind for decades...

Of course, in the 3rd quarter of 2014 both my Freedom and Discover cards will give 5% cash back on Gas Stations as well. Really now, how many donuts do they think a person needs anyways...

Thats a nice set up right there: 2 SM's as well as the Freedom and Discover. On the SM's is one the regular MC and the other the WMC? Is that how you app'd for 2 of the "same" cards?

I think he/she applied for one Sallie Mae and then PC one of the Barclays cards into Sallie Mae, resutling in 2 cards...  I wonder if applying one 6 months after the previous one will work...

First I got the platinum, then 6 months later (Apr 7th to be exact) I applied again and got an instant approval from the computer. That second card was the World Mastercard with a $10,000 limit.

I'll be apping for a 2nd SM in November. I ran over the $250 cap last month like I will on all non freedom bonus months. I hope a 2nd SM works. If it does, I'll probably PC my BCP to the no AF ED if that PC is available then. That's my ultimate - 2 SM's and a freedom.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 14 of 29
Josh2942
Established Contributor

But that's only on Exxon Mobile. They may not have one around him. The cap is low though
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 15 of 29
parakleet
Valued Contributor

The gas on the BCE is not capped. The cap applies to only the supermarket category. It is not necessary to get some crazy "trifecta" collection of cards just for gas. There are easier ways.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 16 of 29
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

The gas on the BCE is not capped. The cap applies to only the supermarket category. It is not necessary to get some crazy "trifecta" collection of cards just for gas. There are easier ways.

Yep. Stick to the Sallie Mae Bifecta.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 17 of 29
amakol
Regular Contributor

Also agree on questioning why the BOA BBR card is being used for this discussion. You could get a Sallie Mae, Freedom and BBR - lose the annual fee for the WF, get 5% instead of 3% and get the $100 per year in full.

If the cap is too low, $250 of 5% and $250 of 1% still gives a 3% average on $500 monthly. Plus you can use the cards for groceries, Amazon, restaurants (rotating) so you're not just saddled with gas cards.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 18 of 29
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@csryang wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@csryang wrote:

So when you app it will either give you the Plat or the WMC?

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 19 of 29
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@csryang wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@csryang wrote:

So when you app it will either give you the Plat or the WMC?

If you get approved for either, and then app again later for it again will the system just approve you for the one you don't have? Or do you have to hope to get the Plat first and qualify for the WMC the second go around?

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.