cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The card I add to my wallet in 2021 should be ... ??

tag
_bobby_lee
New Contributor

The card I add to my wallet in 2021 should be ... ??

New member here.

Been REALLY enjoying diving into the knowledge shared through these forums. You guys know so much. I would drop into the forum every few months when I had a question and wanted to search topics, so it was time to take the plunge and join the community!

(I enjoy finding corners of the internet where people nerd out about things I'm interested in) lol

So here's my first question I bring before you: Should I go for the US Bank Cash+ card in a few months? I have my eyes on a couple other that I'll mention below, but that one is at the forefront, but it honestly feels a little risky based on the threads I have found on US Bank applications and approvals. I can handle a denial, but obviously want to give myself the best shot. I also feel like there may be another card I don't know about that can fit better into my rotation.

Here's more details about my profile and habits:

I already have:

Chase Freedom | 2014 | $4k

Discover IT | 2017 | $10.4k

Citi AA WEMC | 2018 | $14.5

AMEX BCE | 2.2020 | $20k

Chase Flex | 10.2020 | $6.5

My main uses - try to optimize rewards for cash back. All regular spending goes on these cards and gets paid off every month. Revolving utilization is almost always between 1-2%. I'm not a big spender (maybe $1-2k /month) and I have average income.

I was hoping to add one, maybe 2, cards to my portfolio this year.

My biggest reward earners are 5% rotating categories on Disco and Freedoms, 3% groceries on BCE, and 2% gas/restaurants on Citi in the form of miles. (I prefer cash back at the moment so gas and restaurants from a cash back card would be ideal) So here are the cards I was considering - US Bank Cash+ (the one I think I want the most) or the Altitude Go, becuase restaurants is a hole in my rewards strategy at the moment. Capital One Savor One also caught my eye for the 3% restaurants and I'd prefer no annual fee so I'd choose that over plain ol' Savor.

So there you have it. I'd love any input on wether you think cash+ is the best move, if savor could be just as good, or if there is another option worth considering. If cash+ is as good of a card as I think it is, and it's as hard to acquire as I think it is, then I will probably pursue that one in March so I only have the 1/12 app history that I have seen people recommend for increasing chances with US Bank. I'm also willing to open savings account with them. Oh, and my score is currently hanging around 770.

Cards are shown in chronological order of opening, 2014 - 2022.
US Bank Cash + $8,700
Business Cards:
AMEX Blue Business Cash | $9,000 | July 2021
Wells Fargo Active Cash | $5,500 | Feb 2022
Chase Ink Business Unlimited | $11,000 | Feb 2022

Starting Score: 657
Current Score: 777 TU 780 EQ
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: The card I add to my wallet in 2021 should be ... ??

@_bobby_lee wrote:

New member here.

Been REALLY enjoying diving into the knowledge shared through these forums. You guys know so much. I would drop into the forum every few months when I had a question and wanted to search topics, so it was time to take the plunge and join the community!

(I enjoy finding corners of the internet where people nerd out about things I'm interested in) lol

So here's my first question I bring before you: Should I go for the US Bank Cash+ card in a few months? I have my eyes on a couple other that I'll mention below, but that one is at the forefront, but it honestly feels a little risky based on the threads I have found on US Bank applications and approvals. I can handle a denial, but obviously want to give myself the best shot. I also feel like there may be another card I don't know about that can fit better into my rotation.

I already have:

AMEX BCE | 2.2020 | $20k

My main uses - try to optimize rewards for cash back. All regular spending goes on these cards and gets paid off every month. Revolving utilization is almost always between 1-2%. I'm not a big spender (maybe $1-2k /month) and I have average income.

My biggest reward earners are 5% rotating categories on Disco and Freedoms, 3% groceries on BCE, and 2% gas/restaurants on Citi in the form of miles. (I prefer cash back at the moment so gas and restaurants from a cash back card would be ideal) So here are the cards I was considering - US Bank Cash+ (the one I think I want the most) or the Altitude Go, becuase restaurants is a hole in my rewards strategy at the moment. Capital One Savor One also caught my eye for the 3% restaurants and I'd prefer no annual fee so I'd choose that over plain ol' Savor.

So there you have it. I'd love any input on wether you think cash+ is the best move, if savor could be just as good, or if there is another option worth considering. If cash+ is as good of a card as I think it is, and it's as hard to acquire as I think it is, then I will probably pursue that one in March so I only have the 1/12 app history that I have seen people recommend for increasing chances with US Bank. I'm also willing to open savings account with them. Oh, and my score is currently hanging around 770.

This would probably gain more traction in the "Credit Cards" section (Hopefully a mod will move this)

I'm not sure which card you should get but since your goal is to maximize rewards, I would definately PC (Product Change) one of your Chase Freedom Cards to Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% CB (unless one of your cards already covers that). I find I get many Chase Offers on my Freedom Unlimited than I get on my Freedom. 

P.S. Not too familiar with the cards you're considering. I'll leave that for the others to help you with! Smiley Happy

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 16
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Cash Plus is a great card. They have a somewhat conservative approval guideline. They usually won't approve if more than 1 new account in 12 months, so keep that in mind.

I have the Saver One, great for dining, but not much else. It's a regerts for me personally.

Altitude Go is a good choice. So is AOD, which is a CU. The Visa Signature is 3% on all categories, with no cap on spend. Cash back is in the form of statement credit. Great card and service. Some hoops for membership and approval, but well worth it.

Message 3 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Both of your Chase cards have 3% on restaurants. If your overall spend is $1K-$2K, that 1% extra on restaurants isn't worth opening new account. 

Cash+ is great little card that works from SD, but it doesn't come with 0% promo unlike Altitude Go. 

Message 4 of 16
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum.    Smiley Happy

I have gone full circle.

Two cards, many cards , back to a hand full.

Goal is 3 for spend-rewards and 2-SD for age

One needs to figure the benefit of $5 dollars a month compared to shuffling cards, checking statements, waiting months to get to minimum threshold and time managing each card.

Back to the question !

Over the years I have received nice rewards in 4 different categories with a Cash+

It is a good card.

I like being able to switch categories every quarter.

This allowed me to take advantage of 4 categories with one card.

It has been #3 in earnings for me for the last 5 years.

Easy to over collect cards.

I find it harder closing them, beware.

Looking at your cards / spend, my advise, go slow and do the math.

Benefits from two new cards with your spend is small

Message 5 of 16
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@_bobby_lee wrote:

New member here.

I already have:

AMEX BCE | 2.2020 | $20k

Wells Fargo Propel AMEX is 3% CB on gas, travel, transit, dining, streaming and has a $200 SUB.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 6 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Somebody said you have cards already that get 3% on restaurants, but, since your original post said you're interested in a 3% restaurant card, just thought I'd mention Citi Costco Visa. It gets 4% on gas, 3% on restaurants, 3% on travel, 2% on Costco purchases and 1% on everything else. No annual fee, but it does require a Costco membership, and if you end your membership before the annual rewards redemption, I think you lose them. Sam's Club has a similar MasterCard issued by Synchrony Bank. JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 16
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

@_bobby_lee wrote:

New member here.

I already have:

AMEX BCE | 2.2020 | $20k

As a few have mentioned, I don't see any upside to getting the Savor One (3% dining) since you already have that on your Chase Flex.

To me you already have a really good mix of categorized cash back cards, the main thing I see you may be lacking is a 2% everything card. (Citi DC or Paypal MC)

Message 8 of 16
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@Yankee2 wrote:

@_bobby_lee wrote:

New member here.

I already have:

AMEX BCE | 2.2020 | $20k

As a few have mentioned, I don't see any upside to getting the Savor One (3% dining) since you already have that on your Chase Flex.

To me you already have a really good mix of categorized cash back cards, the main thing I see you may be lacking is a 2% everything card. (Citi DC or Paypal MC)

Yeah I agree. But with that said, he/she has most categories covered like dining, gas, drugstores, travel, there isn't much left. I'd just product change one of the Freedom's to the unlimited and call it a day.  There isn't enough uncategorized spend to justify a new app on its own. If OP has ulterior motive to collect more credit cards, the there's some good motivation to grab a 2% card.

Message 9 of 16
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

This is a little out there, if you're a Verizon Wireless customer the Verizon Visa offers 2% CB on your Verizon bill (no cell phone protection).  3% CB on dining/restaurants, and  4% CB on gas and groceries.  

Otherwise, as it has been pointed out, you already have 3% on your dining/restaurants with the Chase Freedom Flex card.   Or PC the existing Freedom to a Freedom Unlimited, it would still give you 3% CB on dining, and 1.5% on everything else.  You would still get your 5% rotating catergoried on the Freedom Flex card.   

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.