cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end to Amex Airline GC workaround ?

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Re: The end to Amex Airline GC workaround ?

The Pathfinder credit will trip with low cost tickets. I bought two one way tickets on Spirit instead of a round trip - it was the same price but this way it was broken down to 50 something and 60 something dollars each - and I was reimbursed $100.

My question is what's the impact on the CNB Crystal card
Chase UR: Amex MR:Citi TY:
Cash back:Travel:
Debit: + DCU savings acct for 5.12% APY for $1k
Message 41 of 91

@ALK11 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response. Based on that, I don't think I'm going to be getting the credit lol

No problem.  Never say never.  We never really what will be covered unless we have data points, or someone makes their own data points!  I mean with Amex, using Delta as an example, tickets (variably) and $50 gift cards (purchased on desktop) shouldn't work but they do.  On the other hand, cards like BoA Premium Rewards don't seem to have luck with purchases other than what is explicitly covered (seat upgrades are listed, and this is how I have used the $100 credit to cover the $95 AF) for Delta, but other airlines have things that trigger the credit.

Message 42 of 91
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ALK11 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response. Based on that, I don't think I'm going to be getting the credit lol

No problem.  Never say never.  We never really what will be covered unless we have data points, or someone makes their own data points!  I mean with Amex, using Delta as an example, tickets (variably) and $50 gift cards (purchased on desktop) shouldn't work but they do.  On the other hand, cards like BoA Premium Rewards don't seem to have luck with purchases other than what is explicitly covered (seat upgrades are listed, and this is how I have used the $100 credit to cover the $95 AF) for Delta, but other airlines have things that trigger the credit.

I actually bought one $50 AA gift card the day before I found out about this change. It posted on 2/13 and I'm curious if it will be covered when the statement cuts. Unfortunately PenFed doesn't offer the detailed view of transactions like some other banks do so I can't even see exactly what it's coded as. Will post my data point when it happens. 

Message 43 of 91
Established Contributor

@f4phantom2500 wrote:
The Pathfinder credit will trip with low cost tickets. I bought two one way tickets on Spirit instead of a round trip - it was the same price but this way it was broken down to 50 something and 60 something dollars each - and I was reimbursed $100.

My question is what's the impact on the CNB Crystal card

From what I've read this is only an Amex thing right now. Since the CNB Crystal is a Visa, I don't think there is a change there currently. 

Message 44 of 91
Valued Contributor

The death of ALL Amex GC Airline reimbursements

Word on FlyerTalk is that Delta and SouthWest Airline GC reimbursements are now dead as well.
Lots of recent datapoints rolling in with no reimbursement.

With the refreshed gold card and the increased interest coupled with the endless blog posts, I think AMEX might’ve actually had a hand in this.

Total Revolving Limits $194,600

FICO 8 scores 04/2019
EX-778
TU-714
EQ-716
Message 45 of 91
Super Contributor

Re: The death of ALL Amex GC Airline reimbursements

@Shadowfactor wrote:
Word on FlyerTalk is that Delta and SouthWest Airline GC reimbursements are now dead as well.
Lots of recent datapoints rolling in with no reimbursement.

With the refreshed gold card and the increased interest coupled with the endless blog posts, I think AMEX might’ve actually had a hand in this.

Of course. They don't want to pay out for gift card purchases. It was always intended for airline incidentals. It's understandable if they want to enforce that.

People who are using the credit for gift cards maybe should rethink if they can justify the card(s) to begin with, IMO.

Message 46 of 91

Just looked at the Delta thread and from what I'm seeing it may have been 1 or 2 people trying to get the credit on Aspire rather than Platinum, and a single person who hasn't seen the credit hit but also hasn't received their Sak's credit.  I would want to see a lot of DPs before declaring it dead.  There is another complaining about not receiving credit for an upgrade, but upgrades are explicitly excluded and have never triggered it for me.  GCs (purchased on desktop site) and actual airfare when priced below $146 have triggered the credit for me, though, and those are expressly exluded as well.

Is there another place I should be looking for Delta DPs other than the DL airline reimbursement thread?

Message 47 of 91
Super Contributor

I just had two Delta GC reimbursed within my last statement period. Will check for specifics but within the last four weeks.

If this does turn out, will probably set up my three cards in 2020 for different airlines to catch bag fees. It could influence how many cards I maintain... or not.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 48 of 91

@kdm31091 wrote:

Of course. They don't want to pay out for gift card purchases. It was always intended for airline incidentals. It's understandable if they want to enforce that.

People who are using the credit for gift cards maybe should rethink if they can justify the card(s) to begin with, IMO.

While I do tend to agree with you here, the issue is that the incidental credit can be difficult to use even for some people who are great matches for this card.  I have Delta chosen as my airline, of course, but since I'm a Medallion and have Delta cobranded card(s), a number of those incidentals won't work. 

- Food and beverage on board is quite rare since I usually buy a fare where it's free, or get upgraded to that class.

- Lounge entrance?  Not usually paying for guests.  Only way I can think of for me to legitimately use credit per Amex wording.

- Airfare is excluded, but like I said in above post, when it's been below $146 I have received credit.

- Upgrades are excluded, and have never triggered credit for me.  (works like a charm for Premium Rewards, CSR, and Altitude Reserve though)

- Same-day change fees?  Waived for me due to status.

- Baggage?  Already get 2 free bags for being a Medallion and having Delta cobranded card(s).  4 free bags flying in F.

- In-flight WiFi doesn't work since it's a 3rd party. 

So honestly, if it weren't for occasional lounge guests or things triggering that shouldn't, I would have no way to use the credit.

Message 49 of 91
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Is there another place I should be looking for Delta DPs other than the DL airline reimbursement thread?

Believe there are a few posts at Doctor of Credit keeping track of it as well but I don't know how often those are updated in the comments.

Message 50 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.