cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end to Amex Airline GC workaround ?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: No more AMEX airline GC hack - Confirm Frontier Seats Trigger AMEX Credit?

@Shadowfactor wrote:
As of now it seems that partial airfare is indeed working for delta. I can’t confirm about AA

Seems like this is the best way for now to get airline credits 

Message 71 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

So with Gold, a person could still buy 2 $50 Delta GCs? Or buy airfare Miles+Cash and pay the $100+ cash portion with the Gold Card, and would still see the credit? 

Off topic I see there's a Delta miles deal from LAX to London for 36K miles +fees. Unfortunately they want travel to take place in the cold weather. lol

But i did think about it for a good 20 minutes!

Been trying to find a way to cash out my miles so I can walk away from that system.

Message 72 of 91
redpat
Senior Contributor

It looks like gift cards are dead per TPG.  

This plus the the priority pass change is good news for those keeping the card has this will thin out the crowds in centurion and sky club lounges has cancellations should increase, IMO.

It seems the work around is too much work.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 73 of 91
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

This plus the the priority pass change is good news for those keeping the card has this will thin out the crowds in centurion and sky club lounges has cancellations should increase, IMO.

If people are going to cancel over the loss of PP non-lounges and airline gift card coding, how much time could they really be spending in the lounges in the first place?

It seems like those are the concerns of light-travel CC enthusiasts who don't use the perks much. How many of them are there outside of credit forums?

Frequent travelers who don't pay bag or lounge fees and get onboard food/drink comped may be annoyed...but it might take more to get them to actually cancel.

SoCal is being bombarded with Platinum ads in advance of the CentLAX launch. Lots of high incomes near a major airport where Delta has gained gates. I really doubt crowding will fall. Might be a similar situation for JFK.

And, to be fair, I should say the lounges can run efficiently even when busy. Seating can definitely be a concern, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 74 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt AmEx is doing this for the purpose of clearing centurion lounges.

I won't be considering plat (I got 100k match offer), I may stick to my Gold since I am on track to get some amex offers to offset the AF even if the airline fee is completely dead (partial airfare seems to be working so far).

TBH, this is not unexpected, I'm sure the credit was designed not to be used by most people. Still disappointing nonetheless. Without this, one needs to spend 5.5k on grocery to beat no AF card.

Message 75 of 91
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

If people are going to cancel over the loss of PP non-lounges and airline gift card coding, how much time could they really be spending in the lounges in the first place?

It seems like those are the concerns of light-travel CC enthusiasts who don't use the perks much. How many of them are there outside of credit forums?

Frequent travelers who don't pay bag or lounge fees and get onboard food/drink comped may be annoyed...but it might take more to get them to actually cancel.

SoCal is being bombarded with Platinum ads in advance of the CentLAX launch. Lots of high incomes near a major airport where Delta has gained gates. I really doubt crowding will fall. Might be a similar situation for JFK.

And, to be fair, I should say the lounges can run efficiently even when busy. Seating can definitely be a concern, though.

This exactly. The people who are most upset are the ones who can't otherwise justify the cards. Which is fine, get one of the many no AF cash back cards out there with similar categories.

Message 76 of 91
redpat
Senior Contributor

This was just wishful thinking on my part.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 77 of 91
digitek
Established Contributor

Yeah I probably won't renew my Gold again.  I was kind of on the fence as it is, the SUB made it worth to pick up, but I don't really like the $10 a month Grubhub credit system and dropping this easy $100 travel credit makes it not worth it to me as a grocery card.

Too a lot of people, it is as if they increased the AF by $100/$200 a year.

Message 78 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

can you be more specific about the steps?

doesn't canceclling ticket return money to your card?

Yes, I would like to know more specific as well, please! TY

Message 79 of 91
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

can you be more specific about the steps?

doesn't canceclling ticket return money to your card?

Yes, I would like to know more specific as well, please! TY

It sounds to me like way too much work to try to recover an amount that I can probably use in other methods. 

It also sounds like a way to end up with a supply of gift cards without being reimbursed for them.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 80 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.