Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The less talked about credit card features

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The less talked about credit card features

@kdm31091 wrote:

If you dig around a bit on Discover's site, there is actually a "request credit line decrease" link which would be useful to those who want to get their limit to a round number. Instead of trying to beg for that extra $200 increase you could just round it down to whatever you wanted.

If you click "help" and then "all contact info" you get an expanded menu of options on the site one of which is CLD. The page asks for the exact amount you want to CLD to.

I look forward to the day I do this with my account.  I don't think it's that far off... likely 2020.

Message 11 of 46
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Yeah, Capital One allows custom card design. I change it every so often with photos of my cat even though I don't use it as much.

Anyway, one feature I like is Amex's tight integration with Google Pay (probably Apple too, I wouldn't know). Whenever the card is used, be it physical, online, or with Google Pay directly, Google notifies me immediately with the amount. I wish other banks do it.

Message 12 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably my favorite feature that isn't talked about much is the ability to get cash back at the register on Discover. I use the BCP for groceries, but sometimes you just need a little cash and don't have time to hit the bank. Out comes the Discover.

Message 13 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Yeah, Capital One allows custom card design. I change it every so often with photos of my cat even though I don't use it as much.

Anyway, one feature I like is Amex's tight integration with Google Pay (probably Apple too, I wouldn't know). Whenever the card is used, be it physical, online, or with Google Pay directly, Google notifies me immediately with the amount. I wish other banks do it.

Yes, Amex does the same on SP.

Talking of which:   since you would only usually do it just once, not a major deal breaker, but it is strange where some banks require you to call before you can the card to a mobile wallet.   My daughter just got her US Bank Altitude Reserve and thought that there must be something wrong when the only option to add was to call the bank!   I think the Sync Paypal also required a call.   Most banks can just send a text which at least SP automatically intercepts.

Message 14 of 46
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I had to call when I got Cash+ and again for Altitude Reserve. Call was quick and painless, so not a big deal 

The part that irked me more (US Bank wise), having to add external  payment method again once AR was approved even though it was already there for Cash+.  The only options were use US Bank checking or re add same checking account already on file.

Not a deal breaker by any means, but completely unnecessary step. 

Message 15 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous "I like the peace of mind that Capital One's Eno gives me if I'm shopping online. I can make a virtual credit card for any purchase I make for those sites that don't take PayPal and I can turn them on and off. Might actually pull all my cards from PSN and Xbox and other services and give them all unique VCCs that I can turn on and off that way if there's ever a breach somewhere, my card is still safe."

Great info ... did not know this! Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous"I like the peace of mind that Capital One's Eno gives me if I'm shopping online. I can make a virtual credit card for any purchase I make for those sites that don't take PayPal and I can turn them on and off. Might actually pull all my cards from PSN and Xbox and other services and give them all unique VCCs that I can turn on and off that way if there's ever a breach somewhere, my card is still safe."

Great info ... did not know this! Smiley Happy

Yeah it’s a pretty cool little tool. You add it as an extension in your browser and it will pop up when you’re entering credit card info into a lot of sites or you can just click the icon if it doesn’t and it will generate a new VCC for that site. They’re also working on making them only work for the merchant they are created for which would mean they would be absolutely useless to a thief. Easy to toggle on and off anytime. 

Message 17 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know BoFA's ShopSafe lets you create either one-time-use or recurring virtual card #s.  One-time-use only works once (or for just one merchant, not sure how it actually works internally), while recurring is for recurring charges (like subscriptions etc).  You can also set the expiration date to anywhere from 2 months out to a year.

What I usually do when shopping on a new site is I'll create a one-time-use # for the site, with the default expiration (2 months), and then just let it expire, rather than worrying about deleting it manually later.  I also set the spending limit on the number to be couple dollars over the amount I'm spending, so if the number is breached, it won't work, or it won't work for more than a dollar or two.

One drawback of BoFA's system is it uses Flash, so if your browser lacks a current Flash player it won't work.  I always have to log in using Google Chrome when I want to use it.  I hope they update this, but knowing them they'll just discontinue the feature instead of updating it.

Message 18 of 46
Mcx990
Valued Member

An alert that an auto renewal charge is coming up (a week or two in advance would be nice).

Is this something a card issuer could implement, or would it depend on the vendor?

I hate auto renewal, so I avoid subscriptions and other products that insist on it. But alerts might make it less unilikely that I would avoid auto renewal.

Message 19 of 46
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks for posting this OP.

I like the cards that allow you to set a spending limit for AUs. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.