Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The less talked about credit card features

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The less talked about credit card features

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think it's fun that Discover has so many designs to choose from, and I'm surprised other issuers don't do something like that. I know a lot of consumers probably don't care much, but it would be nice if issuers at least offered a range of colors for each product.

I wished more cards offerd this option too. I uncerstand why co-branded cards do not, and why Amex is specific to them.

But a FI's own issued cards could offer this. Currently I believe it's only offerd on debit cards. As USB has the 49er logo, Chase offers a few Disney/Star Wars characters. Some places offer NHL, NFL, NBA teams, as well as College. Some even aloow scenic landscapes.

Several years back Cap1 offerer design your card option, where you could download a picture. But when I tried to do iot on mine, it came back as ineligible.

@wasCB14 wrote:
I really like card-not-present transaction alerts.

I dont know why my Chase cards have been particularly affected compared to my also-often-used Amex and Citi cards, but on several occasions my card info has been stolen. Thanks to these alerts, it has been a generally quick (the first one took a bit longer) dispute and replacement process.

Same here. After once having my Discover card used unbeknownst to me, I couldn't wait to sign up for this alert! So I'm glad Amex offers it, as well as others. 

@Mcx990 wrote:

An alert that an auto renewal charge is coming up (a week or two in advance would be nice).

I belive this is called an app in your phone, or the Calendar.

Unfortunately Google has learnt everthing from my phone so it reminds me about almost everything. lol

Message 21 of 46
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think it's fun that Discover has so many designs to choose from, and I'm surprised other issuers don't do something like that. I know a lot of consumers probably don't care much, but it would be nice if issuers at least offered a range of colors for each product.

That's definitely a niche that Discover holds well and seemingly no one else has attempted to embrace.  Another that I used to think was sort of cool was the ability to upload an image to Capital One and have it displayed on your card, completely personalizing it.

I forgot this was a thing.  I tried it with my QS1 and it went through the initial change.  Still waiting on an image approval.  When I tried it on my regular QS it didn't allow it.   Hmmm?

Maybe because the QS1 was PC'd from a platinum?!

R.I.P Cards 

Message 22 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DoogieBall wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

That's definitely a niche that Discover holds well and seemingly no one else has attempted to embrace.  Another that I used to think was sort of cool was the ability to upload an image to Capital One and have it displayed on your card, completely personalizing it.

I forgot this was a thing.  I tried it with my QS1 and it went through the initial change.  Still waiting on an image approval.  When I tried it on my regular QS it didn't allow it.   Hmmm?

Maybe because the QS1 was PC'd from a platinum?!

My understanding is that only regular MasterCard and VISA cards can be customized this way. If you have a world, signature, etc, it can't be. I actually believe my custom image is why my QS hasn't been upgraded to WEMC. 

Message 23 of 46
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually believe my custom image is why my QS hasn't been upgraded to WEMC. 

Interesting reasoning from Capital One if this is true. Well, I'll just put a giant "World Super Premium Elite Venti" somewhere in my next design. 

Message 24 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually believe my custom image is why my QS hasn't been upgraded to WEMC. 

Interesting reasoning from Capital One if this is true. Well, I'll just put a giant "World Super Premium Elite Venti" somewhere in my next design. 

I mean I can't confirm that as a 100% fact but right after I typed up the message, I went and checked my SavorOne before submitting and got an error while my QS popped with the process and my SavorOne pitched another error immediately after. 

Message 25 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 26 of 46
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@DoogieBall, when your image is approved, don't freak out when your online account displays your card's name as Platinum Mastercard, Visa Platinum, World Mastercard, etc. Because the system won't know how to display your image, it's going to display the Visa or Mastercard product name. Your card will still be a QS1 as it has been.

@Anonymous, my custom card displays as a World Mastercard. It's a Quicksilver.

Message 27 of 46
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

The Uber card's cell phone insurance came in handy for me already (only had the card for 4 months!).  I was planning on moving my cell bill over to the USB Cash+ 5% category this cycle, but the unforeseen happened with my youngest DD's cell phone... dropped on pavement and destroyed the screen, rear camera, and flash.  Luckily, I had been putting the cell bill on Uber mainly to ensure I get to the $5000 threshold for the $50 streaming bonus (another great perk from Uber).

Needless to say, repaired the phone at the Apple store and submitted my claim online the same day.  In about a week, I had a check for the total bill minus the $25 deductible.  Not bad.  So the cell bill stays on Uber for piece of mind from now on!

Message 28 of 46
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Yeah, Capital One allows custom card design. I change it every so often with photos of my cat even though I don't use it as much.

Anyway, one feature I like is Amex's tight integration with Google Pay (probably Apple too, I wouldn't know). Whenever the card is used, be it physical, online, or with Google Pay directly, Google notifies me immediately with the amount. I wish other banks do it.

Yes, Amex does the same on SP.

Talking of which:   since you would only usually do it just once, not a major deal breaker, but it is strange where some banks require you to call before you can the card to a mobile wallet.   My daughter just got her US Bank Altitude Reserve and thought that there must be something wrong when the only option to add was to call the bank!   I think the Sync Paypal also required a call.   Most banks can just send a text which at least SP automatically intercepts.

AMEX sends similar notifications when Apple Pay is set up. At one point, the AMEX app prompted me to set up notifications, so I did. The result was being notified twice for every transaction. Smiley Happy Luckily, customer service was able to explain what was going on. I shut off notifications for new charges in the app, and all was well again.

I view notifications for each and every transaction to be important. I've spotted fraud because of them. I won't apply for a new card without coming here first to make sure the feature is offered and that it's viable and functional.

Another thing I want a card to do is show pending transactions in my online account. I never would have thought of this as a "feature" until I got the LL Bean Mastercard from Citi and found out that it didn't do this. Of course, the inability to display pending charges means no notification when a charge is made.

I also want to know which reward a transaction has earned. The LL Bean Mastercard doesn't offer this either. All that's offered is a rewards summary at the end of the month. If I make ten gas purchases and one of them only earns a 1% reward, isolating that charge is next to impossible.

Message 29 of 46
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@DoogieBall, when your image is approved, don't freak out when your online account displays your card's name as Platinum Mastercard, Visa Platinum, World Mastercard, etc. Because the system won't know how to display your image, it's going to display the Visa or Mastercard product name. Your card will still be a QS1 as it has been.

@Anonymous, my custom card displays as a World Mastercard. It's a Quicksilver.

That's good to know.  I'm excited to see what it looks like.  While I don't mind the standard QS1 or QS face, it's a cool idea.  The only times I changed the image was when I first received the card using Cap1 stock images.

Would be funny if someone snuck in an Amex style pic as their custom. Smiley LOL

R.I.P Cards 

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.