Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The long road back

tag
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: The long road back

@webhopper wrote:

I would go for Wal Mart discover, if you shop there, like you said you already have a GE account, and usually once you have GE, you can usually always get GE.

+1 once you get GE in your hands, they most likely won´t let you go.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 11 of 16
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I would suggest at least trying the Cap1 pre-approval website. It is a SOFT PULL until you actually apply for a card. IT WON'T AFFECT YOUR CREDIT!

Try it out just to see what they offer you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain if youy get a card now.

Don't forget to stop back and to let us know what happened.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 12 of 16
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

I would suggest at least trying the Cap1 pre-approval website. It is a SOFT PULL until you actually apply for a card. IT WON'T AFFECT YOUR CREDIT!

Try it out just to see what they offer you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain if youy get a card now.

Don't forget to stop back and to let us know what happened.

Good luck!

+1. i would def try the cap1 pre-aprroval site. i will not affect your score AT ALL and then you'll at least know where you stand as far as Cap1 is concerned. like Jamie123 said, you have nothing to loseSmiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just did the preapp for Cap 1 here are the offers:

Capital One Classic Platinum 0% intro Apr, 0% purchase Apr til May 2013/19.8 after, no transfer fee, $39 annual fee

Capital One Platinum $0 intro annual fee/$19 after, 24.9% variable purchase Apr, 24.9% variable transfer Apr/no transfer fee

Capital One Cash 50% cash back bonus every year, 1% cash back on all purchases, 0% purchase Apr til May 2013/19.8% variable Apr after, 19.8% variable transfer Apr/no transfer fee, $39 annual fee.

I kind of like the last offer with the cash back rewards, however not sure what to think about the variable Apr.
Message 14 of 16
jamie123
Valued Contributor

The card choice is up to you. Apply for whichever one looks best to you.

My suggestion would be the card that has the $19 annual fee, but that is just me.

If you want to maximize your scores and rebuild your credit YOU WILL NOT BE CARRYING BALANCES ON THESE CARDS!

You need to pay your bills in full several days BEFORE the due date each month.

Make sure you stop back here and let us know how it goes. After you get this card there is 1 other thing we need to discuss.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 15 of 16
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just did the preapp for Cap 1 here are the offers:

Capital One Classic Platinum 0% intro Apr, 0% purchase Apr til May 2013/19.8 after, no transfer fee, $39 annual fee

Capital One Platinum $0 intro annual fee/$19 after, 24.9% variable purchase Apr, 24.9% variable transfer Apr/no transfer fee

Capital One Cash 50% cash back bonus every year, 1% cash back on all purchases, 0% purchase Apr til May 2013/19.8% variable Apr after, 19.8% variable transfer Apr/no transfer fee, $39 annual fee.

I kind of like the last offer with the cash back rewards, however not sure what to think about the variable Apr.

A variable APR is just a normal part of the credit card world today. Unless you are dealing with an uber-prime lender or have an old account with the terms I don't really know of a fixed rate interest card available. The variable means it is tied to an interest rate standard (usually the US prime rate or LIBOR rate) with an additional interest amount tacked on. The company will put it as (Rate index + X). At 19.8 you are looking at Prime + 16.5 pretty much. For a thin credit file that is not horrible rate or fee and is your step back into prime credit. And as many on here say "If you pay in full every month the interest rate is irrelevant". Since you are starting from an always pay in cash position that may be viable for you.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.