cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The most popular Barclaycard credit card(s)?

tag
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Re: The most popular Barclaycard credit card(s)?

Sallie Mae is Barclay's worst kept secret in this forum and best kept secret elsewhere.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 11 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

enHaru also has a good point as far as marketing Barclay has more marketing in the UK and highly more popular there. Whereas it's fairly new to the US shores

Yes, big in the UK.  In fact, Barclays was my first bank account, first "ATM", first credit card etc.  OT, but my  first Barclays ATM was a paper-based system, you got a packet of maybe five vouchers, each one worth 10 pounds, you put the voucher in the machine, and it gave you 10 pounds back, keeping the voucher.  Old timers, was there a similar thing in the US?

Message 12 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

enHaru also has a good point as far as marketing Barclay has more marketing in the UK and highly more popular there. Whereas it's fairly new to the US shores

Yes, big in the UK.  In fact, Barclays was my first bank account, first "ATM", first credit card etc.  OT, but my  first Barclays ATM was a paper-based system, you got a packet of maybe five vouchers, each one worth 10 pounds, you put the voucher in the machine, and it gave you 10 pounds back, keeping the voucher.  Old timers, was there a similar thing in the US?

I don't remember a paper system but here's a interesting tidbit you'll enjoy reading it turns out Barclay was first...wow

In simultaneous and independent efforts, engineers in Japan, Sweden, and Britain developed their own cash machines during the early 1960s.[6] The first of these that was put into use was by Barclays Bank in Enfield Town in North LondonUnited Kingdom,[7] on 27 June 1967. This machine was the first in the UK and was used by English comedy actor Reg Varney, at the time so as to ensure maximum publicity for the machines that were to become mainstream in the UK. This instance of theinvention has been wrongly credited to John Shepherd-Barron of printing firm De La Rue,[8] who was awarded an OBE in the 2005 New Year Honours.[9] This design used paper cheques issued by a teller, marked with carbon-14 for machine readability and security, that were matched with a personal identification number.[8][10]

The Barclays-De La Rue machine (called De La Rue Automatic Cash System or DACS)[11] beat the Swedish saving banks' and a company called Metior's machine (a device called Bankomat) by a mere nine days and Westminster Bank’s-Smith Industries-Chubb system (called Chubb MD2) by a month. The collaboration of a small start-up called Speytec and Midland Bank developed a third machine which was marketed after 1969 in Europe and the USA by the Burroughs Corporation. The patent for this device (GB1329964) was filed on September 1969 (and granted in 1973) by John David Edwards, Leonard Perkins, John Henry Donald, Peter Lee Chappell, Sean Benjamin Newcombe & Malcom David Roe.

Both the DACS and MD2 accepted only a single-use token or voucher which was retained by the machine while the Speytec worked with a card with a magnetic strip at the back. They used principles includingCarbon-14 and low-coercivity magnetism in order to make fraud more difficult. The idea of a PIN stored on the card was developed by a British engineer working on the MD2 named James Goodfellow in 1965 (patent GB1197183 filed on 2 May 1966 with Anthony Davies). The essence of this system was that it enabled the verification of the customer with the debited account without human intervention. This patent is also the earliest instance of a complete “currency dispenser system” in the patent record. This patent was filed on 5 March 1968 in the USA (US 3543904) and granted on 1 December 1970. It had a profound influence on the industry as a whole. Not only did future entrants into the cash dispenser market such as NCR Corporation and IBM licence Goodfellow’s PIN system, but a number of later patents reference this patent as “Prior Art Device”.[12]

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Marked with Carbon 14, that's nice and explains all my mutations!

Message 14 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Marked with Carbon 14, that's nice and explains all my mutations!

LMAO you sick ROFLOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.