Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The party is over.

tag
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: The party is over.

@afbar1114 wrote:

in order to get those benefits you MUST book the ticket on your united card.

As you all have pointed out, I missed that small detail.  I've heard rumors to the contrary, but the terms and conditions say what they say.  Baggage terms here.

The priority boarding is NOT dependent on the card used to purchase the itinerary, however.

Message 11 of 23
djrez4
Established Contributor

OK, ok.  So the MP Explorer has a place in the spending rotation, but it still stays out of the wallet.  Signature graphic remains the same.

Message 12 of 23
bribro
Valued Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@djrez4 wrote:

You'll notice the Explorer is not there.  Once I hit the bonus spend, it will remain around only for free bags, priority boarding, and the secret-squirrel access to more award seats.  With baggage fees at $25 for the first bag, the card pays for itself in four solo flights (two with my wife).  But, it gets no spend because, even on United flights, the CSP earns better.

So there you have it folks.  Rez is in the garden.  And I'm not mad about it, either.

This was my first thought as well, but I have decided to still put United flights/charges on my MP Explorer card, along with any car rental because of the primary CDW. The award rates are similar (2x vs. 2.14x) but I justify missing out on that 0.14% with the hope that this additional spend on the card will incentivize Chase to give me a better retention bonus when my AF comes due.

I do want to keep this card because I've had good luck with CPUs on award tickets. My favorite was booking a RT domestic saver award for 25k UR points (no booking fees because of my UA status). I got bumped to first class for both legs, so in that particular case I got what was a $3,500 RT first class ticket for 25k UR points. Not bad.

I see the benefit of your method, but your calculation neglects the fact that booking the same United revenue flight through the UR portal gets you 3.21 points per dollar with the CSP.  A UR portal United purchase with the MP Explorer earns you one mile and one point - UR United purchases code as tripchrg.com, not United.  Does that change your metric?

Good point haha. Honestly, I totally forgot about the 3rd point you get for using the UR portal! Good catch. Do you still get the MP miles when using the UR portal though?

I'll still put the occasional flight on this card to try and get my annual spend above $5k. Perhaps I'm kidding myself, but I guess we can share retention bonus stories a year from now. Smiley Happy

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 13 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Happy Gardening!!!! Smiley Happy

Hope to see you there!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 23
djrez4
Established Contributor

I'm there.  Although, I admit that I snuck in a successful Amex MB Platinum app beforehand.

Message 15 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

See ya in the garden 😏👍👍
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 16 of 23
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Chase capped you at 4 cards total in 12 months? It was amount of cards not total limit? 

Message 17 of 23
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

I appear to have reached my limit with Chase.

They approved me for a Mileage Plus Explorer card this afternoon, but wouldn't push through the Ink Plus application, saying I'd applied for too many Chase cards specifically, and cards in general, in the last 12 months.

I've been dishing advice to everyone else over the past couple of days.  It's time to heed it myself.

So, in the spirit of introspection, I've reduced my signature image from "every single card I have"/Costanza:

Cards 2.png

to the current cards I intend to carry and use on a regular basis:

Cards 2.png

You'll notice the Explorer is not there.  Once I hit the bonus spend, it will remain around only for free bags, priority boarding, and the secret-squirrel access to more award seats.  With baggage fees at $25 for the first bag, the card pays for itself in four solo flights (two with my wife).  But, it gets no spend because, even on United flights, the CSP earns better.

So there you have it folks.  Rez is in the garden.  And I'm not mad about it, either.

You have a bounty of cards...Smiley Happy...it should be easy (or easier) to garden!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 18 of 23
djrez4
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Chase capped you at 4 cards total in 12 months? It was amount of cards not total limit? 

Three personal, 1 business.  I'm not sure if it was the number of Chase cards or the overall number of new accounts.  It could have been both.  There have been quite a few in the last 12 months.

Message 19 of 23
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

iMPRESSIVE AND CONGRATULATIONS 

USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.