Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The plan: Chase Freedom to Freedom Signature

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: The plan: Chase Freedom to Freedom Signature

I do all my banking with Chase so that helped with inital CL when I first opened the account. At that point, my highest CL was probably 1500? I think. Lol.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 11 of 28
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

I have a regular CS with 2.2k limit that is a visa signature...

I wouldn't necessarely say 5k is a guaranteed upgrade to visa signature...best thing to do is to call them.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 12 of 28
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

WOW @ Supervelous's comment. That's crazy. Guess I shouldn't garden so long to apply for CSP.. I could just go ahead and apply now. lol

I would apply for CSP when you are ready to try to make the Freedom a siggy and just transfer some limit from there. Might as well make the HP worth it. (As I highly doubt that your HP would be more than 5k on your Freedom which a CSP approval would mean at least 5k.)

edit: typo. LOL

Message 13 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I've gone back and forth with this issue and just can't convince myself upgrading the Freedom and a CLI are worth an HP. My other cards grow with regular use or SPs so it's just not going to happen.

If it's really worth a temporary score dip and HP hanging around two years, pull the trigger.

As someone posted above: OP could apply for another Chase Product, move over some of the limit, and hope they will upgrade you to a signature account. Decreasing one's AAOA, another HP, and taking on an unwanted card seems like a pretty big commitment.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I started with a $5k cl on my freedom in 07/2012. It did not start out as a Signature even though I was told it was. I have called them twice iirc to inquire about getting it changed over to the Signature. One rep told me six months; that wasn't true; one rep toldme after a year; that isn't true.
The last rep whom I spoke with in the past week simply explained it wasn't possible ans that I'd need to app for a new card.
Really??!?
Chase is on my s*** list atm. -.-
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 28
supervelous
Regular Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:
@Anonymous @ Supervelous's comment. That's crazy. Guess I shouldn't garden so long to apply for CSP.. I could just go ahead and apply now. lol

I would apply for CSP when you are ready to try to make the Freedom a siggy and just transfer some limit from their. Might as well make the HP worth it. (As I highly doubt that your HP would be more than 5k on your Freedom which a CSP approval would mean at least 5k.)

you're telling me, I agree.  I had just been denied an increase from Cap 1 on a $300 limit on 8/14/13, and had never been approved for a prime credit card in my life to this point.  My FICOs were all 680-690 range, and on various FAKO's I was given an F or D for "Payment History" because of my 27 lates.  

That's why I'm confused now about the whole signature thing.  They gave me 2 Visa Signatures within about 24 hours.  And all my limits prior were below $1,000 except for an Express Credit Card at $1,700.  I kept apping, getting instantly approved for $5K, $6K, $8,500, then finally $2K AMEX.  For the CSP they did pull both my TU and Experian though.

The only things I can think of are even with my 27 lates, none in 2013, 2 in 2012 but none on credit cards so no credit card lates in probably 2+ years.  Good debt to income ($5k or so total debt, $75K income).  No credit card balances, prior relationship with Chase of 5 years or so.  

Message 16 of 28
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Chase doesn't have any other cards that suit my needs. I really like the Freedom.

I think the Sapphire Preferred meets the needs of anyone who uses the Freedom heavily.  The 1:1 points transfer with partners significantly increases the value of your UR points, and you only get that benefit with the Preferred.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 17 of 28
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I started with a $5k cl on my freedom in 07/2012. It did not start out as a Signature even though I was told it was. I have called them twice iirc to inquire about getting it changed over to the Signature. One rep told me six months; that wasn't true; one rep toldme after a year; that isn't true.
The last rep whom I spoke with in the past week simply explained it wasn't possible ans that I'd need to app for a new card.
Really??!?
Chase is on my s*** list atm. -.-

Then where is the application for the Signature version? The agent's suggestion doesn't make sense unless they could tell you where to aply for the Freedom Signature version.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 18 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Chase doesn't have any other cards that suit my needs. I really like the Freedom.

I think the Sapphire Preferred meets the needs of anyone who uses the Freedom heavily.  The 1:1 points transfer with partners significantly increases the value of your UR points, and you only get that benefit with the Preferred.

Well, probably not everyone. I think a lot of people, who presumably don't do a lot of travelling, use Freedom as a pure cashback card, using the 5% categories, and, with a chase checking account, getting a 10% bonus at the end of the year and an extra card isn't that appealing.

Of course, those who can should get it anyway for the $400 sign up, even if they cancel/downgrade after the first year.

Message 19 of 28
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheConductor wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Well, probably not everyone. I think a lot of people, who presumably don't do a lot of travelling, use Freedom as a pure cashback card, using the 5% categories, and, with a chase checking account, getting a 10% bonus at the end of the year and an extra card isn't that appealing.

Of course, those who can should get it anyway for the $400 sign up, even if they cancel/downgrade after the first year.

I don't travel alot so the CSP wouldn't benefit me at all. And I can't justify spending 95 a year for the CSP...I use Chase Freedom purely for cashback b/c I redeem my UR points on purchases and earn even more points to use for future purchases or statement credits. And since I have a checking relationship with them...I get 10%.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.