Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "too many inquiries" excuse

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

The "too many inquiries" excuse

Are they looking at the 2 year history or are they looking at the one year history that FICO counts?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The "too many inquiries" excuse

I have same question, credit file shows enquiries of 2 years but how lenders consider while taking decision?

May be some lenders look at enquieris of past 6 month only !! Just becoming too optimistic Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

The effect of inq on FICO lessens at 6 mos and has no effect after 1 yr. What the creditor uses to make their decision depends on them. The likelihood is that inq past 1 year won't have an effect, but creditors can see them.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Different lenders have different criterea in different situations.  But they can all see the full two years on manual review.  Whether they want to base a credit decision on a slew of inquiries 1.5 years ago is at their own discretion.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveSignal wrote:

Different lenders have different criterea in different situations.  But they can all see the full two years on manual review.  Whether they want to base a credit decision on a slew of inquiries 1.5 years ago is at their own discretion.

+1

Message 5 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

+1

+2 

Smiley Very Happy 

I know when I apped (and was denied Smiley Sad ) for the citi forward months ago it was because of too many inquiries in the last 6 months, others will say in the last 12 months on their denial letters. Definitely a variation by lender, and I assume if you get a manual review it may even vary by app depending on your situation. 

Message 6 of 9
tbolt2
Contributor

I think CITI does that no matter what, even for a CLI.

Yesterday, requested CLI on my wife's Citi Diamond through the website. Some of the reasons such as high balances, utilization, were valid, and I accept that. They were looking at July data, not current data which is much better....

What I don't accept is the generic reasons that have no basis in reality...not my version anyway ... and I think of myself as a somewhat sane person... most days Smiley Happy ,

"Too Many inquiries"  Seriously CITI??? There were 5 - yes FIVE -  in two years; the most recent being 9 months old.....One in March 11, two in Sept 11, one in Dec 11. Nothing since. Two of them were from CITI.

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 9
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Do they count "mortgage shopping" as 1 the way FICO does?  Or will they count those all individually as having too many inquiries?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 8 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I think it depends. If you get denied for too many inquiries after mortgage shopping I would call up and do a recon and explain it was for a mortgage. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.