tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: THE TRICK WITH THE WAL-MART CC

@Revelate wrote:

@elim wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I 'm positive I recall reading about some sort of trick some of the members have done with their WAL-MART CC... Something about buying a stick of gum and going to CUSTOMER SERVICE? What was this all about?

In order to gain soft pull CLI's, you'll need to show activity on the account for four consecutive statements.

Don't want to carry a balance or manage the account?  Make a small purchase at your local walmart, then walk over to the customer service area and pay it in full.

...then, the account will have "activity" that month, and will generate a statement. 

Repeat for four cycles, then request CLI.

don't you pay it over by $1 in-store to make it show a negative balance? then it generates a statement with no activity?

Unless it's changed (I haven't used my Wally card in six months):

- You do not generate a statement if you have $0 statement balance.

- You do not generate a statement with a negative balance, they eventually just send you a check (I tried, the postage was worth more than the check).

I did a bunch of stupid tricks to try to generate statements when I was still using the Wally card for CLI chasing... gave up after Amex decided to be friendly so my information could be dated.

You're right. I tried this in December out of curiosity. I had been leaving a couple dollars on it each month but December I paid it to 0 and sure enough if I click on "statements" right now it shows Oct.,Nov.,Jan. 

It skips December, however, if I click on "billing activity" it has statement dates that you can click on and it has the option to click on "statement ending 12/9".

I wanted to test it myself because I couldn't believe that you could use a card to purchase stuff, make a couple payments and there would be no record of it at the end of the cycle. 

So those were the results. Under billing activity it shows the option to click on "statement ending 12/09 and all my transactions are listed but if I click on the "statements" tab December is not there, so theoretically no statement was generated....I guess.

Message 21 of 57
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Same thing happened to me for the Jan 2015 statement. I paid off the Dec 2014 statement and it did not generate a Jan statement (my statement date is the 2nd of the month). I called Walmart cc (Sycronony Bank) about a week later to see what had happened and the CSR confirmed that no statement is generated when you have a zero balance.

They also didn't report my new updated zero balance to the CRAs which was a problem for me. The CSR said they skipped this reporting for Jan 2015 because there was no balance. He said I could dispute it and it would report. So I did and about a 10 days after the normal reporting time, Walmart reported a zero balance due to the dispute.

Message 22 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

check your cash limit on your statement. That limit is set in stone for some of us even if we have had huge CLI's. 

edit: for a $3300 CL my cash limit blows

Credit Limit $3,300

Available Credit $3,298

Cash Advance/Quick Cash Limit $30

Available Cash $30

here's a little food for thought. Overpay them by 10 cents (in-store only) and they are legally bound to send a statement of balance (+ or -).  If you don't overpay or use your card that month (or carry a balance) then no statement will cut.

Kudos!

I always wondered what my cash limit was...also $30.  I started with $150 CL on Walmart, as well.

It seems the Wally card credit will grow with you but the cash advance will not.

Message 23 of 57
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Same thing happened to me for the Jan 2015 statement. I paid off the Dec 2014 statement and it did not generate a Jan statement (my statement date is the 2nd of the month). I called Walmart cc (Sycronony Bank) about a week later to see what had happened and the CSR confirmed that no statement is generated when you have a zero balance.

They also didn't report my new updated zero balance to the CRAs which was a problem for me. The CSR said they skipped this reporting for Jan 2015 because there was no balance. He said I could dispute it and it would report. So I did and about a 10 days after the normal reporting time, Walmart reported a zero balance due to the dispute.

Thanks for tip, guys. I did the same thing, in anticipation of mortgage refi and/or car loan I PIF'd Walmart and a couple other cards. Other cards reported $0 balance, but not good old Synchrony/Walmart, Dec. statement balance is what shows up. I've read many times here on MyFico forum that when there is activity the have to report a $0 balance statement. I paid off Dec. statement balance + a couple current charges, but no statement.

What did you dispute, StartingOver10? I tried "Dispute" from the menu while logged into the account, all I got was a PDF form to dispute a specific charge and mail the stupid thing to them. I don't want to dispute a charge I already paid.

So if I keep the account at $0 balance for the next 6 months, either not charging on it or pay before statement they'll still be reporting my Dec. 2014 balance? That's crazy.

As for the cash advance thing, I usually take $20 or $40 cash back when I charge at Walmart, no fees or interest if I PIF by due date. I checked last year's statments - Jan. 2010 CL was $1200 with $200 cash limit. Dec. 2014 CL was $2400 with cash limit $200. Two auto CLIs during the year, I've never requested a CLI. When I recently loggged in they asked me up verify/update income & contact info, maybe another auto CLI is on the way.

Message 24 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The trick with the Walmart CC

Cash limit is $60 here with $5,700 limit. Weaksauce.
Message 25 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

word! 

Message 26 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

I guess I got lucky because they did report the 0 balance at least.

Message 27 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Cash limit is $60 here with $5,700 limit. Weaksauce.

Mines $30 but like I said it's really only $20 because it has to be done in multiples of 20.  Luckily it's not something I need to worry about. Not right now anyway. 😀

Message 28 of 57
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Account Summary

Current Balance* :$0.00 
Minimum Payment Due :$0.00Make a Payment
Payment Due Date :01/22/2015 

Available Credit* :$6,000.00Request Increase
Available For Cash Advance* :$1,200.00 
Total Credit Limit :$6,000.00 

Boom.

And yes cash advance is the same as quick cash Smiley Tongue 

When my limit was 2k, my quick cash limit was $400, now it's 6k and 1.2k 

3x the limit Smiley Very Happy 

Message 29 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
Account Summary

Current Balance* :$0.00 
Minimum Payment Due :$0.00Make a Payment
Payment Due Date :01/22/2015 

Available Credit* :$6,000.00Request Increase
Available For Cash Advance* :$1,200.00 
Total Credit Limit :$6,000.00 

Boom.

And yes cash advance is the same as quick cash Smiley Tongue 

When my limit was 2k, my quick cash limit was $400, now it's 6k and 1.2k 

3x the limit Smiley Very Happy 

How'd you do that?

Message 30 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.