cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theoretically speaking, how many credit cards can one have?

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Theoretically speaking, how many credit cards can one have?

My dad's friend has 48 credit cards. 

Yes, I know, weird. He says he signs up for one anytime he is offered. AFAIK he stays current on all of them (I'm sure that's a daunting task).

But...I wonder just how many cards one could have, if the bureaus have a numerical limit, etc.

I'm sure there are some nuts out there with over 100 different cards.

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Theoretically speaking, how many credit cards can one have?

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

My dad's friend has 48 credit cards. 

Yes, I know, weird. He says he signs up for one anytime he is offered. AFAIK he stays current on all of them (I'm sure that's a daunting task).

But...I wonder just how many cards one could have, if the bureaus have a numerical limit, etc.

I'm sure there are some nuts out there with over 100 different cards.

I doubt there is any set limit. I can't even think of 48 credit cards I would want to have and I would think when going for higher quality credit cards having soo many may lead to lenders asking why you need another one. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a thread about this a few days ago. There's a member that has (or has had) like 1,500 cards.

Message 3 of 19
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Sky is the limit......If you are good in managing the payment very well......Creditors would keep continue approving you. We have in this forum someone named creditaddict who has 45 (my last count memory...May have applied few more since who knows???)

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 4 of 19
baller4life
Super Contributor

Ron1 has 130!!! And still gets approved. Amazing!
Message 5 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There was a thread about this a few days ago. There's a member that has (or has had) like 1,500 cards.

Don't think this is a member, but back in 2005, this person had 1,497:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/WaterCooler/story?id=411883

Message 6 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@s_haliz wrote:

Sky is the limit......If you are good in managing the payment very well......Creditors would keep continue approving you. We have in this forum someone named creditaddict who has 45 (my last count memory...May have applied few more since who knows???)

+1

Along with Creditaddict's arsenal, Ron1 has 130+ and there's a few forum members that have upwards of 30+.  I have roughly about 50 (give or take).  I love the way the OP makes reference to someone being a "nut" for having > 100 CCs yet this is coming form the same individual who has probably broken a world record in the way of inquiries and incessantly applying (with no signs of stopping)... so, who's the nut?

Message 7 of 19
baller4life
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

+1

Along with Creditaddict's arsenal, Ron1 has 130+ and there's a few forum members that have upwards of 30+.  I have roughly about 50 (give or take).  I love the way the OP makes reference to someone being a "nut" for having > 100 CCs yet this is coming form the same individual who has probably broken a world record in the way of inquiries and incessantly applying (with no signs of stopping)... so, who's the nut?

+ a trillion Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 19
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

+1

You're right.. OP should stop applying for subprime cards and wait a long time with no applying to get the cards they actually want. 

Message 9 of 19
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Lol I know I'm not carrying the best Util right now. But my advice to anyone who wants prime cards would to be what I did.

No history ---> Capital one for ONE YEAR ----> Chase,Discover, and BoA all in the same month (1yr 1mth). Gardening works well.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.