Did you mean: 

Thin File (1 year) looking for third rewards card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thin File (1 year) looking for third rewards card

@SBR249 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone! I read about chase closing accounts of new users when they apply for other credit cards. How long until I would be safe? I do not want to go too fast! And since I already have a Fidelity card at 2% unlimited, I want rotating to max my rewards. And I travel a lot for work (I recruit teachers to come to Florida for my school district), so the propel really intrests me. However, I read early on there was a lot of people getting denied for it when it came out. Did they just start getting easier lately? 

I'd say waiting 2 months after a Chase app is probably OK, 3 months if you are paranoid. 

As for WF Propel, I don't know how strict their UW standards are. WF is my primary bank and I get solid APR pre-approval letters from them for the Propel card every 2 weeks or so it seems, it appears that they try extra hard to sell that stuff. I just hope they haven't actually already opened one for me behind my back. Smiley Very Happy

Finally for the Chase Amazon card, maybe it's just because I'm logged in and already have one but I don't see any SUB GC offers on the webpage. I'd keep an eye on that webpage for good GC offers and pounce when it comes up. Alternatively, if you really only want a card primarily for Amazon shopping (so not Whole Foods), also consider the AmEx Business Amazon card. Same 5% CB at Amazon, maybe not many random offers like the Chase one but current has a $125 GC SUB and I've seen that as high as $150 in the past. 

PS: btw, is it a hard sell trying to convince teachers to move down to FL? I would have thought the great weather would sell itself Smiley Happy

Thanks for the imput. And It is very hard to recruit teachers to Florida. We are 46/50 states in teacher pay, bad benefits, right to work state (no unions allowed), and teachers work on 10 month contracts by law (i.e. you can be not renewed for any or no reason, so there is little job security). There is a growing teacher shortage in the entire country, Florida alone will be short 4,000 teachers next year. No one wants to be a teacher anymore for those reasons, and are no longer majoring in eductaion. 

Message 11 of 15
SBR249
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the imput. And It is very hard to recruit teachers to Florida. We are 46/50 states in teacher pay, bad benefits, right to work state (no unions allowed), and teachers work on 10 month contracts by law (i.e. you can be not renewed for any or no reason, so there is little job security). There is a growing teacher shortage in the entire country, Florida alone will be short 4,000 teachers next year. No one wants to be a teacher anymore for those reasons, and are no longer majoring in eductaion. 

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck! But I guess it's more opportunities for you to travel for work and earn those rewards Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SBR249 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone! I read about chase closing accounts of new users when they apply for other credit cards. How long until I would be safe? I do not want to go too fast! And since I already have a Fidelity card at 2% unlimited, I want rotating to max my rewards. And I travel a lot for work (I recruit teachers to come to Florida for my school district), so the propel really intrests me. However, I read early on there was a lot of people getting denied for it when it came out. Did they just start getting easier lately? 

I'd say waiting 2 months after a Chase app is probably OK, 3 months if you are paranoid. 

As for WF Propel, I don't know how strict their UW standards are. WF is my primary bank and I get solid APR pre-approval letters from them for the Propel card every 2 weeks or so it seems, it appears that they try extra hard to sell that stuff. I just hope they haven't actually already opened one for me behind my back. Smiley Very Happy

Finally for the Chase Amazon card, maybe it's just because I'm logged in and already have one but I don't see any SUB GC offers on the webpage. I'd keep an eye on that webpage for good GC offers and pounce when it comes up. Alternatively, if you really only want a card primarily for Amazon shopping (so not Whole Foods), also consider the AmEx Business Amazon card. Same 5% CB at Amazon, maybe not many random offers like the Chase one but current has a $125 GC SUB and I've seen that as high as $150 in the past. 

PS: btw, is it a hard sell trying to convince teachers to move down to FL? I would have thought the great weather would sell itself Smiley Happy

Florida has too many bad weathers 10months out of 12, summer heat and humidity are intolerable, sealevel rising is also a threat to its entire coast. run as fast as you can from it!.

Message 13 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello (and thank you for taking the time to read an apply to this),

I am a 23 year old teacher with no debt, but a thin file. I have two cards: Discover It ($6,200 started in June 2018) and Fidelity Visa ($5,000 started in April 2019). I am looking to get my third card either after my statemnets cut in July or August. My utilization is 1%, I always pay them in full and multiple times each month. My Discover Transunion is 730, Discover Experian 715. The most hard inquires on any report in last 12 months is two. I wanted to get one of these three cards next (listed in order of preference): Chase Freedom, Wells Fargo Propel, and Chase Amazon. I want to have all three by this time next year. However, I really want the Freedom and Propel the most. Does anyone have any insight on my chances for the Propel? I have a stong feeling I would get approved for Freedom, but would be curious to know what my starting credit line would be? Because I really would like a starting limit that is at least 4k, with the chance of an auto cli later on to take it over 5k. As I am a teacher and my income is 61k a year. Thanks for the insight!

First, I want to say Hi and welcome to MyFICO

Second, thanks for being a teacher and all that you do. 😁

I think the order of the cards you want are great; and IMHO since both of your your cards are already at least $5K, getting $4K+ seems a high possibility, but of course no guarantee. I personally prefer applying for cards at 6-month intervals so since you just got the Fidelity in April, I would wait until Oct to apply for Chase unless you go to their site and fimd you are prequalified. If you are, then apply. 

And since you have Disco and their category for Oct - Dec is Amazon, I would definitely wait to apply for that one next year. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you guys think are the odds I would get approved for WF Propel? I have not seen a lot about cases similar to mine. Thanks!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.