Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin file with high limits

tag
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Thin file with high limits

I like having a thin file but I also like having high limits so that I can buy anything that I want or need without having to worry about maxing out my cards. However, I always PIF before statement cuts.  I just got my BCE card bumped a little to 15k.  My file only consist of a US Bank mortgage, US Bank LOC 15k, US Bank Cash+ 15k, and now my BCE  is at 15k.  So, with 3 lines of credit with a total of 45k, its more than enough for now.  I think that I will work on raising these limits in the future  as opposed to adding new cards. This works well for me but I don't know if it will hurt me  down the line should I need to buy a car,  ( having a thin file ), but we shall see.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Surlaw

Re: Thin file with high limits

I've wondered about the terms "thick file" versus "thin file." Do these refer only to the number of tradelines? Or is tradeline age/history of payment implicit as well?

Message 2 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

With Fico scores that look like they should all be north of 740, you won't have an problem getting a car, just don't get to close you will have the sales people drooling on your shoes ;-)  and offering you the world just sign on the bottom line. 6 months after you latest AMEX CLI you will be able to do another one, if you have the income and willing to provide tax documents, if they request them, you should be able to request a CLI to 45k but if you want to play it safe,  request 30k, without a long history with AMEX they tend to request documents over 25k, and once you are over 25k you need to do CLI requests over the phone.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

a thin file usually refers to a CR with less than 3 tradelines open. Thick files usually have 5 or more TL with at least 2-3 TL's being national credit cards.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@jamesdwi wrote:

a thin file usually refers to a CR with less than 3 tradelines open. Thick files usually have 5 or more TL with at least 2-3 TL's being national credit cards.

Length of time TLs are opened also factor in; having 3 TLs open in less than a year is still considered a thin file. 

CRS show pyt history of two years, IMO having TLs that report at least two years of pyt history would move you from thin to thick

Message 5 of 6
Darrell82
Established Contributor

09Lexie wrote:

jamesdwi wrote:

Length of time TLs are opened also factor in; having 3 TLs open in less than a year is still considered a thin file. 

CRS show pyt history of two years, IMO having TLs that report at least two years of pyt history would move you from thin to thick

Thank you... I did not know that . I was thinking more the more credit accounts you have open or opened and paid off made your file thicker not really the time.... Learn something new everyday.. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.