Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things I like and don't like about Citi Double Cash

tag
j615
Regular Contributor

Things I like and don't like about Citi Double Cash

Approved for the card mid January 2017 for $4,600. Took a second HP to bring the CL to $9,600. APR was 16.49%, and a simple online chat on 3/1/17 lowered it to 14.74%.

Things I like:

- 2% unlimited cash back on *all* purchases

- Price Protection (Citi Price Rewind). They actually encourage you to use this as I get many emails reminding me of this benefit. I already did a manual protection claim on 4 new tires (my Chase card excludes tires on price protection) and received ~$170 to match the cheaper difference with Walmart.com.

Things I don't like:

- Pending transactions take longer to post than what I'm use to with Chase/Amex. I had one pending $1 verification charge from a merchant that stuck for over 3 weeks before it dropped off.

- No free card expedited replacements. This is useful if the card needs a replacement due to fraud and when I have the card linked to many online accounts with AutoPay. I can update it with the merchants in a couple days vs. waiting 2 weeks.

- Card is ugly and cheap. Now, ugly is a personal opinion and it really wasn't a dealbreaker for me to use the card a lot, but I seriously don't like the design. However, this is the cheapest built card I've ever had. I've had the card less than 2 months and the plastic on the back has already been peeling in 3 different spots needing a replacement already (it's separating like the back is a big cheap sticker slapped onto the plastic). I don't handle this card any different from any of my other CCs and my other cards in most cases will last years before damage. I know replacements are free, but there's no expediated delivery without a costly fee from Citi. I also don't want to need to replace it every 2 months.

That being said. It's kind of sock drawered for now and my Chase FU will be my main non-category card once again.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Things I like and don't like about Citi Double Cash

I do agree that the card feels cheaply built, even though they have made recent improvements to the build quality. That is the first I have heard that they charge a fee for expedited shipping? I requested a new DC not too long ago and they gave me the option of regular delivery and of expedited delivery and I don't recall any fee. Must be a new thing? When did you get the replacement?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 30
j615
Regular Contributor

Discover2016: I haven't actually got around to replacing it yet as the card still works and didn't want to wait 1–2 weeks for a new one. It is getting worse though.

Online chat told me there would be a fee. I just checked the online card replacement option and it does give a choice to have it delivered FedEx with no charge. Thank you for pointing that out to me!
Message 3 of 30
Chris679
Established Contributor

I'm on at least my fourth one now and have not had any of the issues you mentioned with the card falling apart but 100% agree about it being ugly. Has to be the ugliest card I've ever had. In fact I just ordered a replacement a few weeks ago just hoping that they had changed the design.
Message 4 of 30
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Cant you just have them ship a new one and keep using your old one until the new one comes and then activate the new one? To me the card feels like a credit card no more no less. Ive never had a card like a Ritz or CSR which are probably built better that im sure once someone has nothing else compares lol, but again it could be i dont use my card all the time.
Message 5 of 30
galahad15
Valued Contributor

My first impression of the card was that it was unattractive as well.  However, after receiving and having had the card for some time now, I actually think it is not ugly at all -- I like the blue/green color combo -- and is actually quite good looking, jmho and my personal $0.02 though.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had two new card sent to me due to the fact I accidentally damaged one and lost another. Both times I used expedited shipping, neither time was i charged. This is the first I've heard about a fee.

As for the card design? Eh. I don't think it's a great looking card, but far from the worst I've seen. I actually like that all the info is on the back of the card and wish more companies would adoput this policy. Discover is the only other one that does to my knowledge.
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a weird looking card. On mine, the MC logo doesn't match up with the ridiculously large W O R L D E L I T E... I really don't care for how it's flat, either.

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a weird looking card. On mine, the MC logo doesn't match up with the ridiculously large W O R L D E L I T E... I really don't care for how it's flat, either.

In some security circles ... the flat is suppose to make it harder to steal the carholder information ... believe what you will.

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In some security circles ... the flat is suppose to make it harder to steal the carholder information ... believe what you will.

Weird. Never heard that one before. 

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.