Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things I like and don't like about Citi Double Cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Things I like and don't like about Citi Double Cash

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I've only had my DC for a couple months but for over a month of that I couldn't use it.  They put a FA on my card when I rented a moving truck, when I told them I was moving.  Then wouldn't verify me over about 15 calls back and forth with them.  Told me they would call me back, never did.  Once I get done paying off my charges I don't know how much it will be used now that i have a Disco and Amex.  I've actually been putting most of my non-cat spend on my Quicksilver lately.

This happened to me the other day. Apparently, buying a sandwich at a sub shop down the street from my house is "too suspicious", but making endless returns/purchases at Lowe's isn't. At least the fraud people are in Florida!

Message 21 of 30
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Best card on the market right now, period.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 22 of 30
Samac
Regular Contributor

It's weird how they vary on the expedited card policy. When I lost mine they asked me if I wanted to expedite the replacement for 6.99 I said no thanks I'll wait and continue to put my spend on other cards.
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Steelersboy wrote:

Best card on the market right now, period.

I wouldn't go that far. It's good for getting cash back on everyday spending, but nearly all decent travel rewards cards have a higher yield when you redeem rewards towards travel.

Message 24 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Why app for a DC when you can app for something with a great bonus and PC to DC in time to avoid the second year's AF?

If rewards are a major consideration, not taking this route means leaving a lot of money on the table. The account that is now my Costco Visa, for example, came with 50k AA miles and a bunch of free checked bags. 

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Why app for a DC when you can app for something with a great bonus and PC to DC in time to avoid the second year's AF?

If rewards are a major consideration, not taking this route means leaving a lot of money on the table. The account that is now my Costco Visa, for example, came with 50k AA miles and a bunch of free checked bags. 

+1.

My only real issue with the DC is it's lack of a compelling offer. If it offered a cash back deal like AMEX BCP/BCE, that would be cool. Or even have your cash back be matched for the first year like with Discover (they could call it the Citi Double Double Cash Back Smiley Very Happy).

Message 26 of 30
BirchBarlow
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

+1.

My only real issue with the DC is it's lack of a compelling offer. If it offered a cash back deal like AMEX BCP/BCE, that would be cool. Or even have your cash back be matched for the first year like with Discover (they could call it the Citi Double Double Cash Back Smiley Very Happy).

I agree but I doubt we'll see them offer quadruple cash back, even if just the first year.  I could see Citi adding on another 1% bonus at the end of the first year.  So for the first year it would yield 3% cash back and they could even call it Citi Triple Cash to compete with Discover.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I do not yet have any Citi cards, will they let you jump from any card they offer to the DC? I know Barclays for example will not let you jump from a co-branded card to one of their non co-branded for example. If Citi will let me jump then I will absolutely do this, I want a DC at some point but why not get me some points while doing so!

I kind of have a point problem, as in I can't have too many!

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like mine a lot. 

Easy redemption. No limit, no categories. And if you PIF before the statement cuts, you get the whole 2% at once, rather than 1% one month and 1% the next.

And the Price Rewind is cool. Only used it a couple times, but it got me nearly $200 back. 

Card DID feel cheap when I got it, with no embossing.  But it seems more issuers are going to that style now. 

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The thought behind the flat cards being "safer" is that people can get a quick imprint of your information, thus making a "fake credit card" where they glue the numbers onto another fake one and tell a cashier that the swipe strip is worn, and have the merchant enter the card manually, thus creating a fraudulent transaction with a physical card that has your card number on it.
But, today I feel like that is also fairly pointless, as people can just as quickly take a quick picture of your card with/without raised lettering. So, who knows.

A friend of mine is a restaurant manager who's had to deal with employees who steal. She says it's much less conspicuous to grab an imprint of a card and write down the security code than it is to photograph it.

Another potential reason for flat cards is the lack or phase out of carbons and the physical imprint machines.   Or networks and banks think their terminals and network are super stable.  I can't remember the last time an imprint was done.  It's been over 10 years and maybe longer.

I signed my DC with a fine point Sharpie in such a way that my signature goes through the CVV.  If you were to take a photo of it, you'd still have to hold the card at an angle and write down the CVV somewhere to go with the picture or one's notes of the info.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.