Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about Amex Green

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Thinking about Amex Green

There have been some rumors flying around about changes coming to the green card. I had the card last year but closed it. I’m thinking about getting it again to get in on the new card while it’s still sure to have no fee for the first year.

A couple questions...

I know I won’t be eligible for any welcome bonus. I’m on their no bonus blacklist already anyway. However would I still be eligible for no fee the first year even though I had the card before?

How reliable are the rumors about the new card? And how likely is it that the new product will charge a fee for the first year?
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking about Amex Green

What do you expect the Green to provide you which your Gold does not already?

If you get it now, no AF for 12 months, and nothing comes of the rumor mill, when the AF posts next January what would you do?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 30
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If nothing changes then I’d probably close it again. Which is why I ask how reliable the rumors are.

Rumor has it the green would offer 4x on gas purchases and 3x on streaming, and another rumor said free (or reimbursed) Amazon Prime which I already pay $120 for per year. If these are true, and the fee doesn’t go up by much (say to $150 or so), then this would be a keeper card for me.
Message 3 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Personally I would just wait. Plenty of rumors end up not being true or end up significantly different than what was stated. No point in applying for a card that gives you no current benefit.
Message 4 of 30
jb1280
Valued Member

There’s enough smoke that there will probably be a Green Card refresh in Q1 2019, but not enough fire in terms of nailing down what the refresh will look like. I’d imagine those details will come out in the coming weeks.

There’s something to be said about applying in advance of the refresh if you’re preapproved and get the introductory annual fee, but probably no immediate rush unless you really have an itching to do so.

Message 5 of 30
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I’d hold off until after this supposed refresh happens. If it doesn’t happen, you’ve lost nothing. If it does, apply then and get that whole year of no AF! I hope it happens too though. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 30
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I FEEL that the $0 AF will go away when it’s refreshed, but who knows. I do think that it’s pretty much a guarantee that it’ll be changed, though I have no idea how.

Anyway, I did do the same for the Gold card though. Applied just before it was refreshed, so got the $0 AF first year, but still got the new benefits.

[2/2019]
Message 7 of 30
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah if any of those rumors are true, I expect no fee for the first year will almost surely go away. That’s why I’m thinking of preempting that.

However I agree that there’s not enough substance behind the rumors right now to rush into applying just yet.
Message 8 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Keep in mind that when you get any card...but especially an AF card...without a bonus it takes a lot of spend to out-earn something with a healthy bonus (as in 50k - 70k miles).

Prime would be nice (no guarantee it will happen or that Prime itself won't be nerfed), but how much does anyone really spend on gas and streaming content?

4x MRs sounds nice...but the margin beyond BBP/BofA/Premier may not be worthwhile.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:
Keep in mind that when you get any card...but especially an AF card...without a bonus it takes a lot of spend to out-earn something with a healthy bonus (as in 50k - 70k miles).

Prime would be nice (no guarantee it will happen or that Prime itself won't be nerfed), but how much does anyone really spend on gas and streaming content?

4x MRs sounds nice...but the margin beyond BBP/BofA/Premier may not be worthwhile.

Pretty much this. Not only that, but gas is an extremely common bonus category. Most people who have many cards have one or two or six that already cover gas. So you're left with streaming. Even if you have several services (on top of Amazon Prime) you're looking at maybe $30-40 a month. Not going to rack up a huge amount of points and you have an additional fee to pay. I don't know, I'm not convinced. I think even with the (rumored) refresh the Green will remain a "starter card" and not really the best out there.

Also, good comment about Prime itself being nerfed. You may decide Prime no longer makes sense for you whether the card provides it or not. Either way you're going to still be paying for it, whether it's via the Prime fee or the Green fee. So I'd evaluate how much use you get out of Prime and expected continued usage.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.