cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about closing my Amex Gold, and get a BCP.

tag
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking about closing my Amex Gold, and get a BCP.

If possible, hold out for a $300 SUB for the BCP - suddenly that fee isn't so bad after all.
And if you start surpassing the 6k (or are worried), that can be buffed with 5% rotators that throw in grocery categories.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 11 of 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

The Delta Gold is about to be nerfed, in my opinion. I would consider closing that, and using the Gold AX $100 credit to cover the incidentals on Delta flights.

This changes if you fly Delta several times per year. In that case Delta Gold bag fees ( say 10 x $30 ) makes more sense on Delta Gold. But if only one trip, then AX Gold can earn a lot more Delta miles.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I'm able to use all credits except maybe hotel credit. Wich brings down to 30. Probably not worth switching
Either way I most likely will take the 300 sub either way once I see it again.
Card would only be good for groceries and I guess 1 percent more streaming since I do 95 percent through Amazon 5%cb..
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

She (dw)got it with the 50 k offer as first prime card.
no af. First year she will either downgrade or cancel delta gold
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
She (dw)got it with the 50 k offer as first prime card.
no af. First year she will either downgrade or cancel delta gold

KiB suggested to hold on delta card for 2 years before cancelling, just to keep amex happy. So I would call to see if there is at least 10k retention offer on deltaG, if there isn't, downgrade to blue.

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

BCP is honestly a tough sell when there are 5% options available that don't have an AF. I mean since the AF can't be offset, you're looking at a maximum return of 4.4% if you cap the $6K and it goes down from there. My Amazon and Target cards both give me an actual 5%. The BCP $300 SUB offer incognito though gives you a risk free way to try it and see. I'll definitely be downgrading mine next year. 

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll most likely stick to what I'm doing since I'm basically over analyzing my cb. I'll just wait a bit then go SUB shopping lol.
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like the Gold is just a really good card on earning points all around. It’s been my go to card forever and even with the addition of my recent CSP, it’s still gonna be my go to card to fill in gaps.

I think it comes down to how much you really value the points vs cash back. My hometown airport is a Delta friendly but still has significant layovers to others, so the costs are a bit more per ticket. I can get easily a 2.0 cents per point on Skypesos. And because I put more or less all my spend through it, they add up and I broke even pretty easily on the Gold not including SUB.

But if a card isn’t doing it for you and as long as you don’t need it for age of active accounts, you are always welcome to get rid of it. (Mind you, after the AF)
Message 18 of 29
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

I'm in no position to talk about opening a load of cards for shiny SUBs and what not, but you've got a Discover still in its 1st year.  Grocery is 5% in Q1 (will be 10% for you next year).  10% beats 6%.  

Also-the Gold card gets 4X on groceries.  MR points don't do well as a cash back redemption, but if you can use the airline and hotel credits, I'm thinking you can get travel value out of the MR (which often puts them over a penny each).  I don't know if that puts you ahead of the BCP, but after factoring in AF/credits/caps/other non-AF card earning rates, possible redemptions, alignment of the planets and whether or not your offering to the Gods requires fresh unicorn blood, something to consider since you already have the card (and if the extra $12/year in rewards is wothh the aneurism to maximize it).  

I won't say don't get the BCP-especially with a $300 SUB.  But maybe at least hold off until you've maxed your Discover Q1?  

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I didn't realize you had a Discover in the first year. I'd wait on the BCP until CB match is over. I also don't really think the BCP is a good replacement for Gold considering the different eco system.  Apples & Oranges kind of thing. However, the lower AF is certainly more palpable. 

It's no secret that I've conemplated canceling the Gold a few times, but when it comes right down to it It's easier said than done.

I like that Rose Gold.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.