Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of cold apping AMEX

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Thinking of cold apping AMEX

@MyLoFICO wrote:

My goal is the BCP and Platinum. But, In the spirit of avoiding outlandish AF's I will go for the PRG. Will it be harder for me to get the BCP thant the BCE? They seems to be similar but if one is like a Signature vs a regular Visa then I want to avoid the signature or higher level of the card I think. 

I think the underwriting standards are pretty much the same for all of the non-cobranded revolvers, even if some of them may appear to be a more premium product (green/gold/platinum are same underwriting for instance).  Your SL could be higher with a cobranded card, but remember that you can only PC AmEx cards within their families so no use opening a Delta or SPG for an initially higher line if the benefits are not more useful to you than a EDP or BCE or whatever alphabet soup revolver.  You know the drill with the 3x and it'll grow fast enough to make you nervous about asking for more in no time.

I think new cardmembers in Approvals have been reporting success with applying for a charge card the same day as a revolver and vice versa.  In your case, I think the PRG is an appropriate choice for the time being.  Also you could grab a bonus now for PRG and when you upgrade later take them up on another 60k or so points.

Message 21 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

My goal is the BCP and Platinum. But, In the spirit of avoiding outlandish AF's I will go for the PRG. Will it be harder for me to get the BCP thant the BCE? They seems to be similar but if one is like a Signature vs a regular Visa then I want to avoid the signature or higher level of the card I think. 

I think the underwriting standards are pretty much the same for all of the non-cobranded revolvers, even if some of them may appear to be a more premium product (green/gold/platinum are same underwriting for instance).  Your SL could be higher with a cobranded card, but remember that you can only PC AmEx cards within their families so no use opening a Delta or SPG for an initially higher line if the benefits are not more useful to you than a EDP or BCE or whatever alphabet soup revolver.  You know the drill with the 3x and it'll grow fast enough to make you nervous about asking for more in no time.

I think new cardmembers in Approvals have been reporting success with applying for a charge card the same day as a revolver and vice versa.  In your case, I think the PRG is an appropriate choice for the time being.  Also you could grab a bonus now for PRG and when you upgrade later take them up on another 60k or so points.

I don't see how Platinum makes sense as a "goal". The underwriting criteria are the same as for PRG. Either Platinum works for you at $550 or it doesn't. You can probably get more points by getting a PRG first and then PCing. But...if you use the Platinum perks enough...it's nice to just have one when you need it.

BCE and BCP have similar underwriting criteria. The difference is just the rewards/AF tradeoff.

I'm not sure how differently they'll view 27% utilization from 31% utilization.

You can't PC between families like before, but you can move credit between personal revolvers. Last I checked, the only rule was that the donor card had to be 13 months old.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I don't see how Platinum makes sense as a "goal". The underwriting criteria are the same as for PRG. Either Platinum works for you at $550 or it doesn't. You can probably get more points by getting a PRG first and then PCing. But...if you use the Platinum perks enough...it's nice to just have one when you need it.

BCE and BCP have similar underwriting criteria. The difference is just the rewards/AF tradeoff.

You can't PC between families like before, but you can move credit between personal revolvers. Last I checked, the only rule was that the donor card had to be 13 months old.

I don't believe the UW criteria is any different for the BCP vs the BCE. I originally got the BCE but didn't want the annual fee at the end of a year so I PC'd to the BCE. I also have the PRG, I found that fit me better than the, at the time, $450 AF that the Platinum was. 

As a heads up for the credit between lines, I have moved credit from 2 cards to my BCE well before the 13 month time frame. So I think that's a varies on the person type of thing. 

Good luck with the app! 

Message 23 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

Yeah I won't be going co-branded. I like being able to move CL between revolvers and merge if needed. I think the BCP and PRG are on tap Friday. You want to hear something funny, before my app spree and being in the garden for a year, I would not have hesitated. I would have been eager to try. I suppose it is the result of learning a lesson the hard way, kinda like with my UTIL right now. I owe this forum a lot, I really do. The advice I get here is invaluable, even if it might not be what I want to hear. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 24 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

The Platinum, truthfully, is more of a kind of trophy for me, a poor mans Centurion, or the closest I will likely ever get to one. I don't fly and I likely would not have used it enough to warrant the AF. I'm sure that if I got approved I would probably kick myself for getting tied up in that AF and I did not even think of the damage to my AAoA. I think for now I will stick to the BCP and PRG. I know I can use that one, and I would probably pee my chair if I got em, especially both, and not with a credit steps type of SL. But, I would be ecstatic just to not waste a HP and to get both with one would be the best HP I have spent since finding this place. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 25 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I don't believe the UW criteria is any different for the BCP vs the BCE. I originally got the BCE but didn't want the annual fee at the end of a year so I PC'd to the BCE. I also have the PRG, I found that fit me better than the, at the time, $450 AF that the Platinum was. 

As a heads up for the credit between lines, I have moved credit from 2 cards to my BCE well before the 13 month time frame. So I think that's a varies on the person type of thing. 

Good luck with the app! 

Thanks. I agree about the PRG being more fitting than the Plat. I would love to have that "symbol" of flashiness but Like my other cards I think that would wear off in about 30 minutes. Not to mention the fact that the reason I have some of my cards that I have now is because of personal appeal rather than usefulness and that is yet another hard lesson. I wish I knew then what I know now...20/20 as they say.

Updated 1-25-18
Message 26 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I am in agreement with this. I am really hoping to see a score bump due the the drop which I think will help my chance of approval and SL.

Updated 1-25-18
Message 27 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I am in agreement with this. I am really hoping to see a score bump due the the drop which I think will help my chance of approval and SL.

I'm thinking in terms of what a human analyst might think if your application takes that route. I'm not sure what emphasis their computers place on a score itself.

Amex has a reputation for relying more heavily on internal metrics than a score from a third party (at least as far as dealing with existing customers).

As far as Platinum...I get the desire to have a trophy card...but yeah, it's best for people who travel a lot and/or need serious purchase protection.

Before you go for PRG, though, keep in mind that BCP (at least through the current offer on the main Amex site) has a 10% dining promo that covers $2k in spend within the first 6 months. I'm not sure what your dining spend is. Mine's pretty uneven, but you might find that BCP is better for groceries, gas, and dining early on. If you don't fly much, you might not get much use of PRG early on.

What bonus were you looking at for PRG? I see 25k on the main page. It might be worth waiting for a better one.

If you just want to get in with them or just want both, I understand that.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 28 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of what a human analyst might think if your application takes that route. I'm not sure what emphasis their computers place on a score itself.

Amex has a reputation for relying more heavily on internal metrics than a score from a third party (at least as far as dealing with existing customers).

As far as Platinum...I get the desire to have a trophy card...but yeah, it's best for people who travel a lot and/or need serious purchase protection.

Before you go for PRG, though, keep in mind that BCP (at least through the current offer on the main Amex site) has a 10% dining promo that covers $2k in spend within the first 6 months. I'm not sure what your dining spend is. Mine's pretty uneven, but you might find that BCP is better for groceries, gas, and dining early on. If you don't fly much, you might not get much use of PRG early on.

What bonus were you looking at for PRG? I see 25k on the main page. It might be worth waiting for a better one.

If you just want to get in with them or just want both, I understand that.

I will probably hold out for a better bonus on the PRG. I had an e-mail a few weeks ago for 50K but I deleted it. I am sure its not any good anymore. It might also have been for my business. The PRG is going to be my daily driver. Right now I use Discover but they have gotten so wonky and stuck me at $200CL unsecured after 14 statements so I SD'd them until they start playing nice. I hate making $200 payments more than once a month after doing it for a year to show good behavior and now I get told I don't have enough experience. I have more pressing issues. The BCP I am looking to BT some high APR low limit cards so I can close them and thin my file a little. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 29 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I have been turned down in the past for Amex. I have app'd for the Delta Skymiles, PRG and a business card. My inquiries are as follows for those app dates. 

12-2015 Score unknown - PRG I think.

2-2016 EXP 639 - Sky Miles

4-2016 EXP 661 - Business Card

In a few days my UTIL will dip below 30% to about 27% and my score will likely get a pretty good bump above 700. This is a permanent drop, not from like a BT or anything. Scores and Inq's in signature are accurate. See below if you can't see my siggy.

When this happens I am thinking of cold apping AMEX since I don't have any pre-qualified offers from any card company at all. I wonder if my number of store cards (11) is going to be a deal breaker after reading some of the stories here though. After 5-1-17 I will only have 1 inq out of all my reports combined under 12 months old. The "Seeking Credit" factor has dropped off all 3 according to CCT 3-score report. My charge off dropped of in February so that is gone. 

I really don't want to get declined for this because I will be leaving the garden for this and I am hyper sensitive to inquiries now that I have been in inquiry prison for a year. I need the Blue Cash or Blue Cash Preferred. But, I am not sure I want the Everyday Card and $500SL with 5 months thing like everyone is getting. I need a decent SL but its not a deal breaker as long as it gets me in the door. I need to know what my odds are. If you need more info, just say the word. According to CCT my last late was 30 months ago. I have goodwill letters out that could change that too. What should I do to improve my odds? 

Scores for those who can't see them. 

TCL 96k / UTIL 31%
Experian: 680 (24) | TransUnion: 698 (30) | Equifax: 680 (19)
Gardening as of: 8-14-2016
Updated 4-14-17

Well, whatever you decide to do I wish ya luck. I just closed on my home and decided to cold app for the AMEX ED before entering the Garden. Got a good offer via incognito, pulled the trigger, and was rewarded with a nice approval message. Only $1K SL, but an approval for me is better than a denial. Cheers!

Message 30 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.