Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of doing a Citi PC

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Thinking of doing a Citi PC

I've had my Citi AAdvantage Amex since Nov 2006 and it's been a great "starter" card for me but I really no longer have a need for it. I don't fly AA and while the signup bonus was nice, earning rewards on it is a complete pain. I mostly use my CSP+freedom combo to earn towards travel. I was planning on closing it before the AF hit - but I hate to lose the history I have on it since it's my oldest card. So I'm thinking of PC-ing the card to the Dividend. I know that I won't get the signup bonus but I figure getting to keep a 7 yr history is worth it. Any thoughts?

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking of doing a Citi PC

@parakleet wrote:
I've had my Citi AAdvantage Amex since Nov 2006 and it's been a great "starter" card for me but I really no longer have a need for it. I don't fly AA and while the signup bonus was nice, earning rewards on it is a complete pain. I mostly use my CSP+freedom combo to earn towards travel. I was planning on closing it before the AF hit - but I hate to lose the history I have on it since it's my oldest card. So I'm thinking of PC-ing the card to the Dividend. I know that I won't get the signup bonus but I figure getting to keep a 7 yr history is worth it. Any thoughts?

PC to  TYP

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 13
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Is the TYP a better card than the Dividend? They both get 1x but the Dividend gets 5x rotating. Am I missing something here?

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 3 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@parakleet wrote:
Is the TYP a better card than the Dividend? They both get 1x but the Dividend gets 5x rotating. Am I missing something here?

Isn't the dividend capped at $300 per year earn (5% and 1%).   TYP will add (tomorrow?) 2x on entertainment, and in theory has unlimited rewards potential.  In it's non-5x version, it's nothing great, but probably better than the dividend.

Message 4 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

Isn't the dividend capped at $300 per year earn (5% and 1%).   TYP will add (tomorrow?) 2x on entertainment, and in theory has unlimited rewards potential.  In it's non-5x version, it's nothing great, but probably better than the dividend.

+1 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 13
JohnWillyson

I hate my dividend for several reasons,

One, you can only redeem $50 increments. Have $51? Sucks, only $50 for you! And they mail a check only, no statement credit.

Two, the rotating categories usually stink.

Seedling Garden Club Member - Last App: 07/27/2013 - No apps until 2014

Aoccdrnig to a rscheeachr at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Message 6 of 13
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

They can't PC the AMEX AA card but MC and Visa yes. Just close the card, it will remain on your reports for 10 years. Apply later if you really want another card. Better yet call and see if you can get a retention offer as I am sure they will offer a 7 year cardholder something to keep it. 

Message 7 of 13
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I have the Citi Corporate card and I love it. Actually, because of that I just app'd and was approved for the TYP about a week ago. I am excited to use it mainly for the chip. If you do any amount of international travel, especially to Europe, then the TYP may be the card for you. I had a hard time in Ireland without the chip, especially at the petrol stations. Plus the TYP doesnt have an AF. 

Message 8 of 13
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@JohnWillyson wrote:

One, you can only redeem $50 increments. Have $51? Sucks, only $50 for you! And they mail a check only, no statement credit.

+1 x5 (the amount of yrs I've had my dividend acct open)

I feel as though Citi has let this CC fall to the waste side and has been just focusing primarily on their Thank You Reward CC's. I hate points, but as of right now any CC would be better than a dividend card.

Message 9 of 13
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@L-TWT wrote:

@JohnWillyson wrote:

+1 x5 (the amount of yrs I've had my dividend acct open)

I feel as though Citi has let this CC fall to the waste side and has been just focusing primarily on their Thank You Reward CC's. I hate points, but as of right now any CC would be better than a dividend card.

This is the only thing I like about the card right.  Is I am shopping for a new laptop right now I can go on their citi dividend merchant network get the computer and depending on the vendor get an additional 1-5% cash back which has unlimited yearly cash back.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.