Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of downgrading my Venture to Venture1

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

Thinking of downgrading my Venture to Venture1

I've had my Venture since 2015. I pay the $59 annual fee. I haven't called cap1 to see if they'll raise the fee to $95 or not (I hope not, I might be grandfathered in hopefully) but even if they don't I still am thinking of downgrading while keeping my 10k limit. I don't travel much (afraid of planes) but I want to get the CSP when the time comes and don't see a need for 2 travel cards with annual fees.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking of downgrading my Venture to Venture1

I'd say there's really no point in downgrading to a Venture One. It earns at a lower rate than your Quicksilver. There would be basically no reason to ever use it. If you truly don't see using the card maybe consider closing it.

Message 2 of 13
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

Ask for an annual fee waiver. If not, I would just close it. No point in PC'ing to a 1.25% card when there are many, many 1.5% and 2% cash back cards out there, also without the annual fee. 

Message 3 of 13
ficosuave
Contributor

This might be too convoluted, but my suggestion would actually be to convert the Venture to another Quicksilver.

And then if it bothered you having two of the same card (it honestly probably would me), you could try to PC your current QS to the VentureOne.

Just in this case you would be getting the "better" rewards on the higher limit card.

Either way, I'd hate to throw away that $10K line and then they eventually start account combinations again. Or allowing Savor PC's again if that were more useful.

Message 4 of 13
RickNATL
Established Contributor

I downgraded to no AF from the $95 Venture...hadn't looked back.

Message 5 of 13
black_citi
Established Contributor

Based on the responses, I will go ahead and cancel the card. I'm going to wait til my scores get into the 700s before I cancel tho. That way I can ask for a 15k limit on my QS without necessarily losing the 10k limit.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you want to keep CL and account history, there is nothing wrong with PC to V1 then SD it.

Message 7 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@black_citi wrote:
Based on the responses, I will go ahead and cancel the card. I'm going to wait til my scores get into the 700s before I cancel tho. That way I can ask for a 15k limit on my QS without necessarily losing the 10k limit.

I'm not sure about what CLIs to expect, but waiting is good. It's a pretty good card for your current scores.

QS does out-earn V1. I'm not sure if V1 has some special perks that QS doesn't. It probably doesn't matter much, as your international spend will be limited (your current QS may be sufficient) and you have a DC earning 2% on domestic spend (albeit with a lower limit). I've heard the Venture "miles" balance converts to cash at 1 cpp, but others should verify that.

Someone afraid of planes may not want to bother with PreCheck or Global Entry....or maybe having it would make flying much less unpleasant. But that might be a reason to keep Venture a bit longer.

When your scores are higher, compare CSP to CSR. CSR requires a higher SL, but is often the better value.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 13
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Just pc to v1 and sd it. It does have some perks I believe and helps you have a higher cl overall.
Message 9 of 13
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

Related question and I hope the OP doesn’t mind: If you pc Venture to QS would your unused “miles” become “Cash Back” or would they stay as “miles” or would they be lost?

I hope they become “Cash back” for the ease of redemption.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.