Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of "Expanding My Membership" with Amex

tag
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Thinking of "Expanding My Membership" with Amex

I got an Amex Gold in May 2008 (PC to Platinum May 2009) and an Amex TE in June 2008 (initial CL $2k, bumped to 5K in November 2009 via phone menu). I have always PIF'ed these cards.

I am about to sign up for a recurring charge of about $160 per month.

I am considering dropping the Platinum back to Gold. The benefits just don't justify the extra cost for me. And, I am thinking of getting a Blue just for the recurring charge. My AAoA is just under 3 years. What would be the effects of adding the Blue? My guess is there would be a ding for the EX inquiry, but the Member Since would be 2008. Would there still be a new account ding?

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking of "Expanding My Membership" with Amex

You shouldn't have any problem to get  another card from Amex. Don't worry about the score. It will come back up after a couple of months.

Ron.

Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

No new account ding, as a new card will show as having been opened in April 2008. You'll get an inq ding on EX, but since we can't see our EX FICO scores, then hey, who cares?

I switched to Blue right before the first annual fee for my Gold became due. I wasn't getting enough out of it (points, etc.) to make the fee make financial sense.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

No new account ding, as a new card will show as having been opened in April 2008. You'll get an inq ding on EX, but since we can't see our EX FICO scores, then hey, who cares?

I switched to Blue right before the first annual fee for my Gold became due. I wasn't getting enough out of it (points, etc.) to make the fee make financial sense.

Do they still allow product changes from charge card to credit card?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

No sorry, I keep phrasing this wrong.

I opened the Blue (new inq, no new account ding due to the back-dating thing), and then I closed the Gold.

In my mind, it feels like a switch, but it was two different actions. Thanks for catching that!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

Thanks Hauling, I just wasn't sure, next year will likely be in the same position as you were. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.