Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is how I monitor my CC's

tag
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Re: This is how I monitor my CC's

I constructed a spreadsheet that I use to manage my cards and rebuild, particularly since I have a looonnng report (50+ pages) and want to easily see when certain lates and derogatory accounts will fall off (and TBH I just like making spreadsheets, haha). I basically reconstructed my payment history and DOFD in Excel using past credit reports. (Thankfully, even though I put my head in the sand about my credit I had the presence of mind to pull some free reports even though at the time I had no idea how important it would be.) This spreadsheet only monitors stuff related to my credit report (utilization %, AAoA, payment history, default status, etc) - stuff like due dates I manage in my paper calendar. (Though when I get a new computer I will start using Banktivity for that so I can also monitor my actual budget and spending.)

Lots of formulas, drop-down menus, and conditional formatting went into the creation of this spreadsheet, LOL.

credit calculations 2.PNG

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 21 of 30
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I like the fact that those who mentioned their payment dates all gave dates 5, 7, or more days in advance of the due dates.  Too many bad stories have appeared on this board because folk wait until the actual due date (or sometimes the statement closing date) to make their monthly payments, and then they have no time to react to unexpected payment difficulties.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

is any of this data auto-populated from perhaps an on-line source?  Quicken? or is it all entered manually?

The only two columns that are manually entered are age and balance every month; Rest is auto-calculated or entered only once because they are constants.   

You should be able to auto-calculate age using the following Excel formula:

=(TODAY()-E2)/30

Change the E2 reference for each line of code. (I'm assuming your Discover card starts on Row 2.)

Thanks for this; Just made changes my sheets Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I like the fact that those who mentioned their payment dates all gave dates 5, 7, or more days in advance of the due dates.  Too many bad stories have appeared on this board because folk wait until the actual due date (or sometimes the statement closing date) to make their monthly payments, and then they have no time to react to unexpected payment difficulties.

haha, well its better to be early than sorry. Smiley Tongue

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beutiful5678 wrote:

I constructed a spreadsheet that I use to manage my cards and rebuild, particularly since I have a looonnng report (50+ pages) and want to easily see when certain lates and derogatory accounts will fall off (and TBH I just like making spreadsheets, haha). I basically reconstructed my payment history and DOFD in Excel using past credit reports. (Thankfully, even though I put my head in the sand about my credit I had the presence of mind to pull some free reports even though at the time I had no idea how important it would be.) This spreadsheet only monitors stuff related to my credit report (utilization %, AAoA, payment history, default status, etc) - stuff like due dates I manage in my paper calendar. (Though when I get a new computer I will start using Banktivity for that so I can also monitor my actual budget and spending.)

Lots of formulas, drop-down menus, and conditional formatting went into the creation of this spreadsheet, LOL.

credit calculations 2.PNG

WOW. Impressive detailed micromanaging and thanks again for auto age formula.  Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 30
digitek
Established Contributor

I use Mint, which is backed by Intuit, who have been making accounting software forever.  It is online (although they do have a phone app) and you setup your accounts in it and then it automatically pulls the data from each source and presents it to you.  I can't recommend it enough.  It is not just credit cards, I have my checking, savings, investment and assets (house/cars) in there.

It is free, but only because they have a few adds and they mine the hell out of your data.  I'm OK with that setup, would rather have it this way then pay a monthly fee for the service.

You get a total view of your financial status, of which credit cards are a part.  I'd recommend people to at least give it a try, it is pretty sweet software and really changed my financial outlook for the better.

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 15 card for now and I use two methods :

1. Mint which is very secured application for any platform (ios, Android ,etc)

2. A spreadsheet I created with the custom cells ( I haven’t updated the info)Smiley Sad

The 3 cards I have left to obtain Which has $1 limit and greyed out.

E8B5EEA8-3FA0-4D2C-9D47-98EFD6C74119.png

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

e: This is how I monitor my CC's

I use a spreadsheet in Excel and it works just fine.  Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 30
BH1985
Regular Contributor

@Chamberss2

Preferred is misspelled in your spreadsheet.
Message 29 of 30
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

I have a growing number of total accounts (only 1 credit card).

I've tried using Mint and Prism, but DCU and MACU both provide the same Money Management feature and I tend to use DCU's. Doesn't have a "due date" feature like Prism does, but there are no ads (Mint!), emails (Mint!), convoluted interface (Mint!), or funky issues (Prism!) so it's really quick and easy to log in once a day at work to see all my accounts or even transaction history.

Starting Scores: No Scores (03/2018)
Current Scores: 779 - 789 (08/2023)
Goal Scores: 780 across the board

Current Total Credit Limit: $109,900 (08/2023)
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.