cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is why I don’t understand Chase...

tag
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Re: This is why I don’t understand Chase...

@M_Smart007 Exactly. It is what it is. I have Lowe's and the Amex ED on the chopping block. I may even chop the Citi DC, but not sure as Citi has always been good to me. They just recently gave me a CLI on my Thank You Preferred for 4 k.

@AverageJoesCredit I definitely use Chase regularly every month. I just don't think I use it to the capacity they want to see. Who knows. I think I use maybe 10-15% of the limit. Taking the HP for the CLI will be the better option than adding an account. 

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 26
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston I would like them to double the limit. That would be fine for me as I would be transferring the spend for any card I closed. I don't mind having a lower available credit. 

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Message 12 of 26
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Tonya-E wrote:

@K-in-Boston I would like them to double the limit. That would be fine for me as I would be transferring the spend for any card I closed. I don't mind having a lower available credit. 

As long as the card is seeing any kind of regular spend, with your scores I don't see an obstacle then as long as you haven't opened a ton of accounts.  In my experience they never asked for an amount, but had a doubling from $9700 to $19,400 and from $14,000 to $28,000 on the ones that were granted.  I had some previous declines for CLIs on my Freedom card, but did have very high utilization at the time (yet strangely approved for a $12k CSP minutes after being denied for a CLI on my then 10 year-old Freedom 😂).

Message 13 of 26
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

See that is the part I don't get @K-in-Boston! They will approve you for a new card but decline a CLI on an established one😂 I find that strange. But credit is strange in general😁

It seems like the HP CLI is the way to go. I would just rather wait a bit before I make any moves. Right now every little thing seems to spook lenders.  It seems that way anyway.

I have wondered if I were to close the Amex ED and Citi DC, if a portion of those limits can be transferred to my BCP & TYP. Maybe I can condense before closing. I know there are restrictions sometimes so not even sure it's possible. I'm beginning to be a little apprehensive of having multiple cards with 1 lender (even though 2 is not many).

Message 14 of 26
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For those with strong credit profiles, there's really not much to be concerned with.

You can reallocate Amex credit lines right from your account up to once every 31 days, or you can combine at closing (you may need to leave a small portion behind, typically $500 or $1000 on non-AF cards).

For Citi, combinations can happen but they are not very common.  Often requires a hard pull to grant you a "credit line increase" on the card you keep.

Other than Synchrony and Comenity where people end up with many cards with combined limits disproportionate to their income, having too many cards with one lender isn't really an issue.

Message 15 of 26
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Tonya-E      For Chase Use a LOT of the Card, make large payments throughout the month, Report very little or 0 for the Payment Due Date and then Add a few bucks by Statement if you can between 1-7.9%.      It has granted me a large AUTO love from Chase so I know that is what they like to see from me personally (and this happened within a few months of having my card) Smiley Very Happy    Never had to get a second card because I am comfortable with that limit while I work on my other cards to let my average age Grow a good chunk Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 26
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Got it! Thanks @K-in-Boston 

@Girlzilla88 This was the advice I received when I posted before. I am currently trying this method until I try for the HP CLI.  I figured it couldn't hurt.

Message 17 of 26
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Tonya-E , some have had that success with Chase by heavy utilization.  Maybe I never utilized heavily enough but CLIs with them were usually effective only when I wanted to transfer a balance.  I used to get very frustrated with Chase when I authorized a hard pull and got nothing.  Grrrrrr ..... 

Instead, I've built up heavy Chase lines with additional cards.  Yes, as you've noted, they seem to LOVE to approve you for a new card!  Lol ... so why not go with that?  Either way, it's a hard pull.  They seem much more generous with limits on new accounts versus a CLI on an older one.  They often will offer a generous SUB to sweeten the deal.  Then a year or two or three down the road, they will make it easy for you to combine limits between cards.   Overall, with Chase, it seems the easiest way to get a CLI.  Either way, good luck!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 18 of 26
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Tonya-E     Yes they LOVE use, and LOTS of it, as well as large Payments I literally maxed out my 3600 or 3800 when I first got it and was making 600, 700, 900 payments throughout the month and a few months later BOOM almost double CLI Auto love XD

Message 19 of 26
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@Aim_High The new account would be easiest. However, I'm not a fan of the new cards being offered to me right now. I don't want the annual fees (all of them have one). They also seem more like travel cards which are of no use to me at the current moment. The biggest factor is not adding something else to put into rotation for use. When I get to the point that I have to remind myself to use the card, I don't want it anymore. That's why Lowe's is getting closed as we speak. It's my only Sync card, the discount is 5% (hubby's military discount is 10%) and I have to remind myself to use it. I thought I had stumbled onto possibly having a 15% discount when I got it - no goSmiley Frustrated The only exceptions I make are with Target and Walmart MC for the intermittent usage. I use them heavily at Christmas buying for nieces/nephews and such. I'm just no good at managing a lot of cards. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.