Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought Question on AMEX AU Backdating and Reporting

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Thought Question on AMEX AU Backdating and Reporting

Hey guys, so while I'm sitting here trying to take a quick break from studying Atmospheric Dynamics, I was thinking about when my brother decides to apply for an AMEX in November (so far he's leaning toward the BCE).

I would love for him to add me as an AU on the card for backdating whenever I decide to open up an AMEX in the distant future...however, I would not want the authorized user account on my physical report to bring down my AAoA, especially if I'm not even going to use the card.

Is this possible for AMEX AU's if I dispute with the reporting agencies? As far as I know, the law hasn't changed that AU accounts are not suppose to be reported on the AU's credit report, and therefore can be removed. I have gone through this process before when my parent's had a Nordstrom account and I was listed as an authorized user, and I needed to remove the account before they charged it off and have it negatively impact my credit.

I know AMEX AU's are a little different when it comes to AU's for other major card companies, so according to their T&C, would I be responsible for the payments on the account and therefore must be reported to the credit agencies?

And lastly: do I HAVE to be reported by the bureaus in order to have a future backdate occur? Or is it in AMEX's internal system that I was a previous cardmember?

Thanks everybody for your input Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thought Question on AMEX AU Backdating and Reporting

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Hey guys, so while I'm sitting here trying to take a quick break from studying Atmospheric Dynamics, I was thinking about when my brother decides to apply for an AMEX in November (so far he's leaning toward the BCE).

I would love for him to add me as an AU on the card for backdating whenever I decide to open up an AMEX in the distant future...however, I would not want the authorized user account on my physical report to bring down my AAoA, especially if I'm not even going to use the card.

Is this possible for AMEX AU's if I dispute with the reporting agencies? As far as I know, the law hasn't changed that AU accounts are not suppose to be reported on the AU's credit report, and therefore can be removed. I have gone through this process before when my parent's had a Nordstrom account and I was listed as an authorized user, and I needed to remove the account before they charged it off and have it negatively impact my credit.

I know AMEX AU's are a little different when it comes to AU's for other major card companies, so according to their T&C, would I be responsible for the payments on the account and therefore must be reported to the credit agencies?

And lastly: do I HAVE to be reported by the bureaus in order to have a future backdate occur? Or is it in AMEX's internal system that I was a previous cardmember?

Thanks everybody for your input Smiley Happy

In my opinon, you should apply for your own amex if you're wanting to have future backdating.  What you're describing above seems like a huge hassle.

Also, the backdating may not be automatic, My husband became an ACM back in March 2012. When he was approved for his PRG a few days ago, the card came in and it had a Member date of 2013.  I had to go on their chat and request for the member since date to be adjusted.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 3
rex_03
Contributor

Re: Thought Question on AMEX AU Backdating and Reporting

+1.. I had to do the same thing a week ago for my member since date to be adjusted.. Best of luck.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.