Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts On Store Cards?

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Thoughts On Store Cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm just curious on everyone's thoughts on store cards. How do they work for you? I'm thinking about possibly getting one but i'm not sure if i should based on my scores or just in general.

They have to be useful and add value. The majority of mine give me discounts or 0% promotion for financing large purchases. The only store card I've closed has been Lane Bryant; the card was useful but didn't want to grow, so the low limit became an issue. Oh yeah, and Fingerhut - done with after rebuilding. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 41 of 67
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm just curious on everyone's thoughts on store cards. How do they work for you?

They have their uses but it depends. I decided to close my remaining ones a few years ago and have no desire to get more. 

Pros:

• They tend to have less strict underwriting so easier to get approved with a thin file or lower scores. Consequently, very useful for credit building in moderation. 

• Likewise, for people with marginal credit, it may give the ability to buy things on credit if they cannot qualify for a major bank card.

• If they are from a store where you shop frequently, they can be helpful. Stores may offer special discounts and promotions to cardholders. If you don't naturally find yourself shopping in a store at least every few months, they may not merit a dedicated card. 

Cons:

• Potential impact on insurance rates in certain states as previously discussed.

• Many store cards can only be used in a single store, so taking up extra space in your wallet for a card you may use sporadically.  Major network bank cards like MC/Visa/AMEX are more flexible and simplifies your charges. 

• It's another account to monitor for payments, fraud, etc. so adds some workload. 

• Higher fees and APRs are common, even with great credit. Not that you ever want to fail to pay on time or carry a balance, but you really want to avoid these with store cards!  

• Lower credit lines are common, even with great credit or other high credit lines, which may affect utilization impact. Also, excessive amounts of store cards with low limits may drag down your average credit line which (I believe) may lower starting limits on new accounts, but that's just my speculation. It's a matter of their balance in your overall lineup.

• Signing up for a card highlights you to the store which may greatly increase the snail mail, email, or text notifications you have to deal with. While some were helpful, I got tired of constant reminders to go shop with certain stores. But if you turn off reminders, you may miss out on the special deals when you want them.  

• Store cards are much more sensitive to closure from non-use than major bank cards. I can't tell you how many cards I've had closed and often didn't find out until I tried to use them again. Very annoying, especially after taking the hard pull and new account penalties. So back to the rule that they may be useful .... IF you will naturally use them often. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 42 of 67
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

If you shop frequently at a specific brand then it may make sense to get a store card depending on the rewards/benefits it offers. For me I haven't shopped at a Sears in a long time but still got it because of the constant TYP offers even it took a few months for them to roll in.

Message 43 of 67
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

But the main thing I was looking for specifically was the best but citi card just cause I shop there a lot. 

Then go for it!  Heck the worst that can happen is nothing....decline, no biggie in the grand scheme of things. Second worst thing is a very low sl.  Those aren't really bad things, just takes patience and sparing a hp or two....which is no biggie either.  If you don't want to deal with those then don't bother.

If you think your profile will be much improved in a few months, you're willing to wait on a particular purchase (s) then wait.  If you want the card now then go for it.  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 44 of 67
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Apply sparingly. Get only cards that you will use regularly. I have 1, my max would be 2. They have quirky terms and policies, and some major credit card issuers look at too many of them in a negative light. 

This is good advice.  As I posted upthread, I no longer have any store cards, but I can see having one or at most two might work for some people.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 45 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Apply sparingly. Get only cards that you will use regularly. I have 1, my max would be 2. They have quirky terms and policies, and some major credit card issuers look at too many of them in a negative light. 

This is good advice.  As I posted upthread, I no longer have any store cards, but I can see having one or at most two might work for some people.

To me, this is just as arbitrary as "you should have a maximum of [say] 4 credit cards".  If you shop regularly at 5 stores which have great store cards,  get all 5....

Message 46 of 67
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

This is the ultimate YMMV issue.

Some cards - like VS, Overstock, DSW - offer nominal benefits to card holders, but also pack heavy interest rates as well.

Others - like Wayfair, for example - offer an awesome array of products and special financing. Wayfair often starts you off with a $3,000-5,000 line and 6-12 month deferred interest financing, which can be extremely useful if you need to replace appliances, redo your kitchen, etc.

In the end, getting store cards just to have them isn't probably the wisest strategy, but getting and using cards with tangible usage benefits is almost always beneficial.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 47 of 67
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Don't assume the store card is the best option even for that store.

For example, many people have the REI MC, but for a long time Citi offered great price protection and I was getting 15%-30% back on my purchases there with that feature. Not surprisingly, the feature was nerfed and later eliminated. Combined with the two-year extended warranty (removed from most cards now), Citi cards could run circles around most store cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 48 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To me, this is just as arbitrary as "you should have a maximum of [say] 4 credit cards".  If you shop regularly at 5 stores which have great store cards,  get all 5....

Lol.

Watch out for your auto insurance company. Didn't someone post months ago that their auto insurer mentioned that they had TOO MANY store cards? And that mattered why to the insurance company?

Were they afraid the driver might all too often speed to these stores to catch the latest deal?

Message 49 of 67
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I think it's  🤦‍♀️ time 

Message 50 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.