Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts about Chase Auto CLI

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Thoughts about Chase Auto CLI

So something struck me when I was looking through the threads of the recent auto luv - the dates. I went back with a quick search and started to find something of a pattern - nearly all Chase Freedom CLIs (sample 30) occur between the 17th and 19th of the month (17th on 31 day months, 19th on 30 day months, no idea for Feb) or are noticed shortly thereafter. Now while it might be coincidence (IE half the forum applied at the same time) I can't help but wonder if this is that date the computer is set to choose to approve auto CLIs as it seems to be randomly distributed around account age and time since last statement.

So if you are expecting some auto-luv on a Chase Freedom, keep an eye out around these dates. (FYI I am hoping my statistics are wrong as I was really hoping >8k spend in 4 months with 64 payments would get a bump on $500). If you have further supporting data or contradicting data it would be appreciated.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thoughts about Chase Auto CLI

The statistics quoted are not really supported by the big picture.  Chase has algorithms that do not necessarily conform to the above statistics for all cardholders.  While anectodal information may point to a variety of similar trends, it is not exact science.  This forum only represents a fairly small amount of the entire universe, and that doesn't even hit the tip of the iceberg of the different products in general, marketing promotions and the frequency of those auto-CLIs.

Message 2 of 52
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have had a Chase United Airlines card for 7 years and never had a CLI  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 52
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

As a statistician by training - I'm aware of that and stated uncertainty in the post above (perhaps not strongly enough). If it were exact I would consulting for Chase already as they wouldn't want consumers to understand it.

But it does seem strange that a large portion of the sample here (which may or may not be reflective) cluster's auto CLIs on Freedom cards to particular dates. Account age lengths seem to vary between those getting auto CLIs, and there doesn't seem to be a fixed pattern when they review if you just look at that value. Which suggests the algorithm might be evaluating you on the review date after your 3rd (or 2nd or 4th depending on how your cut date falls) statement cut, checking your spend/usage, checking your balance/util, softing, payment history; hence the poor relationship to age of accounts (there is also probably a score based modifier which factors in longer credit history and other higher limits as to how quickly you can be reviewed).

Anyway, just an interesting observation, not claiming an nth degree solution.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 4 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

I have had a Chase United Airlines card for 7 years and never had a CLI  Smiley Very Happy

And nine years for me on Chase Amazon with no CLI.  Conclusion: Chase doesn't like people who like Pete Atkin.  

Message 5 of 52
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

I have a Chase Freedom for two years with only one CLI after the intial six months and have been stuck at $1500 every since.  I requested a CLI twice and have been denied. I have perfect payment history with them as well as all my creditors, and at the time of the request my utl was low.  So, I just don't know why they will not approve it.   I have all but given up on them and have socked drawered the card.

Message 6 of 52
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

And nine years for me on Chase Amazon with no CLI.  Conclusion: Chase doesn't like people who like Pete Atkin.  

Damn./  I had better change the habits of nerly a lifetime.  Any suggestions?  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 52
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Waiting for a CLI on my Freedom. 3 months old so far. Pretty heavy usage....no luv yet. For reference, I'll let the statement cut at 250-300/500 limit. Pay 200-220 and let about $30 revolve. Intro APR so no interest yet. I'm hoping to show that I will pay most in full and let a bit revolve so they make a little bit off me in interest. People have called me crazy on here for this, but if it works for a CLI that's all I care about. 

Chase Amazon auto CLI from 400 to 700 in the 4th or 5th month I believe. Heavy usage and utilization, probably paid a bit of interest....not sure. IIRC, I paid in full the statement balance and never paid interest, but always kept some some sort of high balance. No luv since then, after i got educated about the importance of utilization and credit cards in general. Since then I would PIF before the statement cut...The past few months I have been throwing them a bone for interest...trying to get another one...fingers crossed.

Also just opened a Chase checking and savings in the hopes of getting them.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 8 of 52
bigbang91
Established Contributor

I have checking with Chase since I were 16,and saving since 2011. I opened my Freedom on September, and use it heavily along with Amex. I let its report 1.5k ,3k/3500$ and PIF 2-3 days after statement closing date. Hope i receive some auto luv as well
Message 9 of 52
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:
I have checking with Chase since I were 16,and saving since 2011. I opened my Freedom on September, and use it heavily along with Amex. I let its report 1.5k ,3k/3500$ and PIF 2-3 days after statement closing date. Hope i receive some auto luv as well

You probbably have a better chance than I do, since you started with a higher limit. 3.5k and 500 make a big difference.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.