Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts about Chase Auto CLI

tag
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Re: Thoughts about Chase Auto CLI

4k on small dining? lol..expensive stuff.

@MACFRME wrote:
@Opened my Freedom Siggy @ $7k last month. I have already had the CSP @ $10k for 2 months, but I wanted to do the combo for maximum travel rewards. I have been using the CSP a lot that my new Freedom is just a bit neglected, but I hope to turn that around this month after the first statement cuts. I have probably spent $4k on the CSP in two months, mostly on small dining purchases. Hopefully a CLI at the 4th statement?

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 21 of 52
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Also...for the record...

I dont mind taking a HP for the right CLI..but as long as I know I have a decent chance with it. i won;t just do it blindly.

With Chase, my gripe isnt a hard pull for a CLI. it's a hard pull for EVERY CLI request. Lets say I have a Chase Amazon and Freedom (which I do). I want a CLI on BOTH of them, but it requires two HP's and not one. Underwriters, Credit analysts, and ANYBODY who is doing a manual review of your account can see if you are eligible for both from one credit pull.... Two is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY UNECCESSARY ... that is complete and utter BS IMO.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 22 of 52
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I think people (in general) need to lower their expectations regarding Chase auto-CLIs. In the grand scheme of things, they're not that common of an event. Yes people get them, but it shouldn't be an expection or something to be "gamed".

Just use your card normally and you'll eventually find out whether or not it's "good enough" for an auto-CLI. However if you want it that much, ask and be prepared to take a HP.

In many ways it reminds me of when people want a room upgrade when checking in. If having more space or lounge access is that important to you, you should be prepared to pay for a suite or a club room. I see people get really upset when they don't get an upgrade after flirting, schmoozing, saying it's your birthday, pulling a DYKWIA, etc. It's actually quite pathetic to watch.

This is the credit version of that. You can try and game the system for an auto-CLI, but the best way to get a CLI is to ask specifically for what you want (and paying the appropriate price).

Silly analogy.

Even some rebuilder cards would have grown with regular use over two years.

It's okay for a companies to have rules if consumers have the same right. There's no obligation to use/keep a product we're unhappy with, especially if another company might be a better fit.

Their website is pretty good, though. That's what I'll miss most. My long term credit plan is cutting down to three cards, keeping the lowest limit account makes no sense.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 52
enharu
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I think people (in general) need to lower their expectations regarding Chase auto-CLIs. In the grand scheme of things, they're not that common of an event. Yes people get them, but it shouldn't be an expection or something to be "gamed".

Just use your card normally and you'll eventually find out whether or not it's "good enough" for an auto-CLI. However if you want it that much, ask and be prepared to take a HP.

In many ways it reminds me of when people want a room upgrade when checking in. If having more space or lounge access is that important to you, you should be prepared to pay for a suite or a club room. I see people get really upset when they don't get an upgrade after flirting, schmoozing, saying it's your birthday, pulling a DYKWIA, etc. It's actually quite pathetic to watch.

This is the credit version of that. You can try and game the system for an auto-CLI, but the best way to get a CLI is to ask specifically for what you want (and paying the appropriate price).

+1000

+1001 then? Smiley Tongue

There really shouldn't be any expectation of a CLI just because you're paying your bills on time. You are supposed to pay your bills on time regardless, which is why the bank even extended you any credit in the first place... And if you really do need a CLI, just ask for it. It really is just one HP. It's not that big of a deal.......

Auto CLIs are nice, but whether the bank will issue one is a big question mark. Just use the card as you would normally, pay it off, and hope for the best to happen.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And an auto-cli doesn't really mean that the bank "luvs" you, it doesn't even necessarily mean that they think you have done a particulalry good job with your credit.   It just means that they think they can potentially get more profit from you without increased risk.

Message 25 of 52
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Quick question: Chase CLI request should be done after 90 days? 6 months? I'm going to refi my car soon with DCU, so while I'm taking a HP I figured I might as well.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 26 of 52
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Jutz wrote:

Quick question: Chase CLI request should be done after 90 days? 6 months? I'm going to refi my car soon with DCU, so while I'm taking a HP I figured I might as well.

You can request for a CLI at anytime, just be prepared for the HP.

Message 27 of 52
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

And an auto-cli doesn't really mean that the bank "luvs" you, it doesn't even necessarily mean that they think you have done a particulalry good job with your credit.   It just means that they think they can potentially get more profit from you without increased risk.

Isn't that kind of the definition of doing a good job with your credit? 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 52
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Its fine of those who are in a position that have excess credit (>80000) to suggest that its dandy to just cop a hard pull when you have a file which puts you in the 800 club, but lets review a situation that a person clearly isn't a risk and just doesn't want to get another hard pull.

Newcomer to the country, solid research job, denied a cap one secured (and a recon attempt). Got a $500 Freedom after having a chase checking account for 6 months. Its all have in terms of credit here (do you know how much foreign exchange fees are costing me from Australia to use that CC?). 4 months later, spent >$8k on the card, making dozens of payments a month (I want the rewards, just putting it through the debit card or using my cash directly is a waste as I would spend it anyway, and the benefits of a CC make it more worthwhile). I have three pulls on EX (1 Chase, 1 Cap One and an AT&T) already, and intend to apply for a CSP and two AMEXs within the next year as I spend quite a bit on reimbursable travel. Now is another hard pull for what could be a minimal increase - with a relatively thin file a good idea? The answer according to most pundits here is no. Given most Freedom accounts here and elsewhere on the net seem to have had an auto CLI between 3 and 6 months (those with older accounts who haven't probably never meet usage criteria due to multiple card spends, or opening their cards closer to the credit crunch) is it wrong to hope for one, and treat your card right to see if you can get one to make it easier to manage things like util?

Sure asking for a CLI would be nice if you have the Inq to spare, but toy-limits-ville is very annoying when you want to purchase flights, or need a CC to rent a car or book a hotel without having to worry whether your last charges posted and you paid them off.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 29 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Isn't that kind of the definition of doing a good job with your credit? 

Well, yes and no.   It doesn't mean that a new lender might happily give you credit (another reason for wanted good credit) just that this existing lender might see a way to have a more profitable relationship (for them, not for you) with you.  But I was overstating because I hate the attention give here to CLIs!

Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.