Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Chase card closures

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thoughts on Chase card closures

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be careful about using words like 'ethics'.  While credit card companies may not like it and shut your account down ( as is their right), there is nothing unethical about the practice.  Credit card companies have to accep a lot of the blame themselves for people taking advantage of reward credit cards. What do they expect when 13/14 of their consumer cards are reward incentivized based on a spend amount.

Interesting comment.

Interesting as in 'bad'?

Message 51 of 160
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@techiegirl wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

It is what it is All i am hoping is i get my 70k UR points signup bonus before they decide to start closing all my accounts. 

+ 1

I wouldn't be heartbroken if they closed me.  I have other cards to use.  I do have 55K UR points and DH has 50K UR points.  

I have slightly more UR points at my disposal right now around 200k from my CSP and Ink Plus singup bonus and usage this year. Its not that easy for people who want travel rewards cards to say just not to use chase, because love it or hate UR rewards program is one of the better ones out there. Also you wouldn't have access to hyatt, BA, or united cards as well.

With all that being said if they decide to bring them hammer down on CSP, i will have to think long and hard about apping for citi premeir and moving my dining spend over to that card. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 52 of 160
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So I felt like giving my freedom a bit of love today after not using it for 8-10 days.. Due to all this BS... Anyways please listen to my story...

Went to the gas station, figured I would start there and payed at the pump... Inserted my card hit credit and put my Zip code in.. All of a sudden it said SEE CASHIER... I was like REALLY.. Anyways, went into cashier and pre-paid for 40 dollars gas there and it went through lol.. What are the chances of this happening?  I see the temp authorization at the pump for $1 then $-1 credited back to me, then the 40 I paid the cashier of cource... Had my heart going a bit there, so not closed out..  Went just through mcdonalds without issues again..   Anyways, just though I would share a moment of peer unluckyness on a pump denial for whatever reason, but it all worked out so farSmiley Happy

I think it has something to do with the chip in the card if that is what you have.  I can never pay at the pump now in CT.  I always go in and hand it to the cashier.  He said it can't read it or something like that...

really i live in CT as well i always pay at pump either with my ink plus or my everyday preferred an haven't had any issue, except this one gas station that decided they want to put an hold of 99 dollars on my card. I will never ever go to that gas station again. 

Message 53 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be careful about using words like 'ethics'.  While credit card companies may not like it and shut your account down ( as is their right), there is nothing unethical about the practice.  Credit card companies have to accep a lot of the blame themselves for people taking advantage of reward credit cards. What do they expect when 13/14 of their consumer cards are reward incentivized based on a spend amount.

Interesting comment.

Interesting as in 'bad'?

Sometimes "comments" create the need to think about what was said and not as good or bad. Creates thinking.

Message 54 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don't wanna look like I only opened the CSP for the signup bonus but if they keep this up, I may wind up closing it and rolling it's limit over to my Ritz.
Message 55 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I really don't wanna look like I only opened the CSP for the signup bonus but if they keep this up, I may wind up closing it and rolling it's limit over to my Ritz.

Let's be cool and let this latest blip pass (as most do) and see what really shakes out! Someone mentioned a thread likes this gets started and the rats are all rushing off the ship before it sinks. Cooler heads will prevail. You have a good balanced card porfolio so ride out the storm and let the other rats jump ship and drown Smiley Happy

Message 56 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So I felt like giving my freedom a bit of love today after not using it for 8-10 days.. Due to all this BS... Anyways please listen to my story...

Went to the gas station, figured I would start there and payed at the pump... Inserted my card hit credit and put my Zip code in.. All of a sudden it said SEE CASHIER... I was like REALLY.. Anyways, went into cashier and pre-paid for 40 dollars gas there and it went through lol.. What are the chances of this happening?  I see the temp authorization at the pump for $1 then $-1 credited back to me, then the 40 I paid the cashier of cource... Had my heart going a bit there, so not closed out..  Went just through mcdonalds without issues again..   Anyways, just though I would share a moment of peer unluckyness on a pump denial for whatever reason, but it all worked out so farSmiley Happy

I think it has something to do with the chip in the card if that is what you have.  I can never pay at the pump now in CT.  I always go in and hand it to the cashier.  He said it can't read it or something like that...

really i live in CT as well i always pay at pump either with my ink plus or my everyday preferred an haven't had any issue, except this one gas station that decided they want to put an hold of 99 dollars on my card. I will never ever go to that gas station again. 

I have the Ink plus and other cards with the chip also and most often get gas at the stop and shop.  It never takes it and the cashier said it is not only me.. So who knows..

Message 57 of 160
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I have the Ink plus and other cards with the chip also and most often get gas at the stop and shop.  It never takes it and the cashier said it is not only me.. So who knows..

you must live in northern CT because down here we don't have stop and shop or costco gas stations unfortunately :-( we just have the stores by themselves.

Message 58 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

you must live in northern CT because down here we don't have stop and shop or costco gas stations unfortunately :-( we just have the stores by themselves.

Yes.. I am Smiley Happy

Message 59 of 160
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Just because its not family or friends doesn't make it right. If you know its going to possibly get you shut down you clearly know its wrong.

Do what you want but the ethics are questionable period. No one can say it is totally the correct thing to do. You know full well its not. You just want rewards. To me its not worth having a shutdown which incidentally is probably not good for your credit

Even if its not against terms, you know its wrong or it wouldnt be a concern or a "loophole"! But to each their own, right?

OK, it is TOTALLY the correct thing to do.  Sorry, I kow it is hard but not everyone has exactly the same moral judgements as you do.   Of course I want rewards,  that's the major reason why most of us here use credit cards.

As I've said before,  many behavoirs commonly supported here can be judged equally unethical:

1) Recon.   The ccc has made its decision.  By persisting, you are costing the bank money, potentially reducing the amount they are willing to spend on rewards.

2) PIF before statement close.  A deliberate attempt to DECEIVE lenders by artificially inflating the FICO score

3) Going for SP CLIs.  Requests for additional credit SHOULD be reported so that other lenders should be aware of your credit seeking behavior.

Message 60 of 160
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.