cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Custom Cash & Double Cash for travel rewards?

tag
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

Thoughts on Custom Cash & Double Cash for travel rewards?

I am newish to Citi. For travel rewards purposes, I've generally focused on our relationships with Amex and Cap One. I picked up the Citi DC last year, and now the Custom Cash (just this weekend - don't even have it yet), with the intent of expanding our cash back portfolio.

Now I keep coming across articles about converting DC cash to TYR points, pooling them with Custom Cash points, and also getting a Citi Rewards or Citi Premier card to have the option of using the Double/Custom rewards for travel (mainly, the ability to transfer the points to travel partners at a rate that makes them more valuable than 1 point = 1 cent). I'd love thoughts on this topic. 

• First, do you think it's worth bothering?
  • Second, is combining them with Rewards/Premier necessary to have that option? I don't understand Citi very well. 
  • Third, if yes to both of the above, any recommendations on best approach for the additional Citi card? Meaning - should I get the Rewards vs. Premier? Should I apply now or wait and do it later (in light of recent new account, etc.)? 
  • Fourth, any other thoughts?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Thoughts on Custom Cash & Double Cash for travel rewards?

I've floated around between MRs, URs, and TYs over the years. I currently find that with most of my spend going to Amex, there's not enough V/MC spend to justify paying an AF for a TY or UR setup when I have BofA Platinum Honors.

I actually closed my DC recently. I had never really liked it. It was just a PC from Prestige, and I'm in the process of simplifying a bit.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

I converted my well-aged no AF Citi AA card to Custom Cash because the points earning seems more interesting this way. Eventually I will likely get the $95 AF card ( can't keep the names straight ) and harvest a bonus, do some transfers.  If one has the no-AF card, seems logical to me to build up some points for later. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 24
dragontears
Senior Contributor

The big issue you didn't address (but was alluded to by others) is do you have enough spend to support multiple point systems? 

Message 4 of 24
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

You will probably have to call Citi to have your TYP accounts merged because as of late, you can't manually combine the account online.   

The earnings from the Custom Cash can't be transferred to anything other than Sears Shop Your Way.

You also can't share any of the earnings from the Custom Cash card to another person or even yourself (if you have multiple TYP numbers). The only way of doing anything with the earnings from the Custom Cash card is bymerging TYP numbers...or just taking it as a cash out at 1cpp.

Message 5 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

The big issue you didn't address (but was alluded to by others) is do you have enough spend to support multiple point systems? 

This was my thought as well. OP mentions first getting the Custom Cash for their cashback earnings but wants to switch over to travel rewards now if I'm understanding correctly. Assuming so that leaves a few cards they have in limbo if they want to do this. Some make their money back in perks related to the card like the AMEX Platinum and Delta Reserve but other will be left out in the cold with this strategy. Maybe if they use the SUB as a jump start I can see this in the short term but long term that's a lot to ask especially if they plan to keep both cashback and travel points earnings going forward

Message 6 of 24
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

OP, if you want the best of both worlds (with Citi) you're going to need the Citi Premier card as that's the only way to have the ability to transfer to partners at 1:1 AND the ability to cash out at 1cpp without a $25 threshold.

The only other card that offers this ability is the Citi Prestige that has been removed for new applicants and I don't believe that one can product change to it either.
Message 7 of 24
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

That's a good question. Yes - that's also why I expanded into adding cash back cards in the first place. I felt like we were crushing it with travel rewards and wanted to mix it up a bit by giving some spend to those cards. What I love about this (potentially, at least) is still having the option to take it as cash back, or to also use it for rewards. I know I also have that option with the Amex Schwab. But (and not to tangent too much here), the recent conversion devaluation makes that slightly less attractive. 

Message 8 of 24
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

This was my thought as well. OP mentions first getting the Custom Cash for their cashback earnings but wants to switch over to travel rewards now if I'm understanding correctly. Assuming so that leaves a few cards they have in limbo if they want to do this. Some make their money back in perks related to the card like the AMEX Platinum and Delta Reserve but other will be left out in the cold with this strategy. Maybe if they use the SUB as a jump start I can see this in the short term but long term that's a lot to ask especially if they plan to keep both cashback and travel points earnings going forward

Thanks, @simplynoir. I addressed this in replying directly to @dragontears, but suffice it to say that I'm pushing enough spend through these that I'm genuinely not worried about leaving any of my kids cards out in the snow. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 24
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
OP, if you want the best of both worlds (with Citi) you're going to need the Citi Premier card as that's the only way to have the ability to transfer to partners at 1:1 AND the ability to cash out at 1cpp without a $25 threshold.

The only other card that offers this ability is the Citi Prestige that has been removed for new applicants and I don't believe that one can product change to it either.

@Loquat  Interesting. So if I picked up the Premier at some point, I'd be able to combine all three TYP accounts into one and merge the balances?

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.