cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on NFCU Cash Rewards/More Rewards combo?

tag
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

Thoughts on NFCU Cash Rewards/More Rewards combo?

As opposed to Citi Doublecash/TY Premier combo. Citi isn't budging on the Premier AF this year so debating options. Chase is out so please don't suggest any Chase combos.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Thoughts on NFCU Cash Rewards/More Rewards combo?

@MAZDA3 wrote:

As opposed to Citi Doublecash/TY Premier combo. Citi isn't budging on the Premier AF this year so debating options. Chase is out so please don't suggest any Chase combos.

The Citi combo you mentioned is more for travel points (TY) than cash-back. 

So are you looking for cash or travel points? 

You have a lot of options.

Here's a few off the top of my head.

NFCU CR/MR is more about cash so not as lucrative as the CITI combo.

Yes, Chase combos can also be good but there are others.

NFCU CR/MR is okay but if you travel, MR-Flagship may actually be more lucrative for only $49 AF. (Earns 2% minimum cash-back)

I've seen several postings about combining Wells Fargo's Platinum, Cash Wise, and/or Propel cards too since they earn "Go Far Rewards".

And if you want travel, you can combine MR points with AMEX on several of their cards. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@MAZDA3 wrote:

Nice pick on the NFCU More RewardsSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Aim_High. 

More Rewards and Flagship Rewards gets you a lot. If you can earn the SUB, you'll have your annual fee paid for 10 years.

In fact, I plan on making those two cards my only regularly-used cards.

3x travel

3x gas and transit

3x restaurants

3x supermarkets

2x everything else

I'll keep one other credit card (from a different financial institution) in my wallet just in case of a NFCU-specific issue.

Message 4 of 8
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the data points. I went with the More Rewards and also converted my Cash Rewards from mastercard to visa since that's all Costco accepts. Honestly i'm a bit disappointed in Citi. To tell me I refused a retention offer last year (I didn't) and then deny me any type of retention this year I was like wow. I would have been happy to keep the Premier and then get the Doublecash but that ship has sailed. Closed the Premier today and transferred all remaining points to Cathay Pacific.

I do also have a Platinum with NFCU. Don't use it much since it doesn't earn points but it's my oldest account so I keep it around.

I haven't done a cash back program in a few years so this will be fun to play with and maximize $$$.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything from NFCU is on point and you can't go wrong.   I mean what about card company will give you the CL that they give?

@MAZDA3 wrote:

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I retired my NFCU Cash Rewards since PenFed earns 2% vs. NFCU @ 1%.

I PC'd it to the More Rewards, but haven't swiped it yet. Running a lot of spend thru new Citi and Capital One accounts to see if it gets those limits up. Then I'm going to make More Rewards my daiy driver for a while to give a few grand/month usage against my $23,500 CL on it . 

Message 7 of 8
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@kerplunk wrote:

I agree with Aim_High. 

More Rewards and Flagship Rewards gets you a lot. If you can earn the SUB, you'll have your annual fee paid for 10 years.

In fact, I plan on making those two cards my only regularly-used cards.

3x travel

3x gas and transit

3x restaurants

3x supermarkets

2x everything else

I'll keep one other credit card (from a different financial institution) in my wallet just in case of a NFCU-specific issue.

That’s not a bad setup for the sake of simplicity. If your spend is anything like mine, if the “one other” card earned 3% or 5% on utilities, that would be a very easy to manage setup.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.