Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threaten to close Fingerhut?

tag
outofcredit
Established Contributor

Re: Threaten to close Fingerhut?

@Anonymous wrote:

I used Fingerhut to rebuild my credit, which is good now.  I definitely don't need the account, save for the damage closing it might cost. Fingerhut knows that I basically don't spend money (I buy something cheap (for Fingerhut) and pay it off immediately from time to time to keep the account active). They're a hassle - they keep raising my limit by a few hundred dollars as a "temporary credit increase" trying to encourage me to spend, and when I don't, they lower it back (reflecting on my credit going both ways."

If I seriously threaten to close the account, will they offer me anything?

Thanks!

Fingerhut has been playing their "temporary increase" games with me for about 2 years.  At first I would buy a pack of socks for $10 which would result in them making $50 of the increase permanent but then I started ignoring them and not buying anything letting them roller coaster my limit as they saw fit.  The account is my oldest and just aged to five years, now they have a new game.  I got an email saying that if I don't buy something within 90 days they will be reducing my permanent limit by $700.  I think it's time for me to quit their games and move on.  I have 30 more days before the CLD takes place, will close it probably on day 25.  It was nice while it lasted and at least they gave me a heads up.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.