Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three cards to rule them all

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Three cards to rule them all

As of the last couple weeks, I've really enjoyed the idea of simplicity over micromanaging 4-7 cards regularly due to maximizing rewards.

Citi DC for everything (would use Blispay, but prefer the possible additional savings with price rewind)

Discover for rotating 5% to trump the DC

Chase Freedom same reason mentioned for Discover (haven't updated my siggy *sigh*)

I do carry Blispay as a backup 2% card in case I am nearing 25% util on my DC for any reason, or to float a small balance if absolutely necessary (haven't had to do that yet, but it gives me peace of mind)

Message 11 of 55
happypill
Valued Contributor

If forced to choose, I would prefer cash back equivalent over points/miles because it's just so much easier for me to spend.  I always have a tough time getting good value for miles.  My five biggest spend categories are travel, dining, Amazon, gas, groceries.

1. SSFCU Power Travel Rewards - 3.3% on travel, dining & gas

2. Penfed Platinum Rewards - 5x on gas and 3x on groceries - these are actually worth a little less than 1c per point, but if limited to 3 cards its a better option than the Penfed gas rewards

3. BofA Travel Rewards - 2.625% on everything else with preferred rewards

I also have the Amazon Prime card for 5% on Amazon, but that's not really a card I would carry anywhere because it's only usable on Amazon and we don't have any of the local stores around here.

The Sallie Mae card was the perfect card for my wallet, offering 5% on gas, groceries & Amazon and it is gone but not forgotten.

Message 12 of 55
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

As I only have space for 3 in my wallet this was easy. 

Amex Platinum - I travel quite a bit so this stays with me all the time for Delta sky club access, buying plane tickets and the occasional Amex offers. 

Amex EDP - this is my main card. Easily hit the 30 transactions per month. I typically transfer my MR's to delta and because i value skymiles at 2 cpp this card offers great opportunity for earning potential. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred - for those times when Amex isn't accepted. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 13 of 55
Gardenhand
Regular Contributor

I have five cards in my portfolio.

TD
Discover IT
Amex BCE
Chase Freedom
Citi D.C.

I buy gift cards for gas on eBay. I get 100 dollar gift cards for 92-93 dollars and I use my D.C. for an extra 2 percent unless I have a prepaid Visa Vinallia which I yield four percent. The BCE gets 3 percent at grocery stores but beyond that the D.C. meets or beats the rewards on all other purchases. Now Disco and the Freedom have rotating categories that can include wholesale clubs and groceries. Other times Chase has five percent at drug stores where I will purchase 500 dollar gift cards for a five dollar fee but still yield four percent.

So depending on the rotating categories I mostly find these three cards on the frontline.

Citi D.C.
Discover IT
Chase Freedom

But I usually sneak in gas gift cards and a prepaid Visa Vinallia.
Message 14 of 55
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

BCP -- 6% groceries, 3% gas

CSR -  3% resturants and travel

Fidelity = everything else at 2%

Cheat #1  sam's club MC,  its a membership card  ;-)  and provides access up to $200  cash ( $100 at checkout, and $100 while picking up a drink a pizza or hot dog at snackbar) 

Cheat #2  amazon card....   2 day prime shipping and 0% apr on moderate to large purchases. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 15 of 55
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

We see lots of these "restricted to small number of cards" type threads. Maybe I should start one on the other extreme: "If you HAVE to have 110 credit cards, what will they be?" I would guess no AF cards would play a big part!
Message 16 of 55
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:
We see lots of these "restricted to small number of cards" type threads. Maybe I should start one on the other extreme: "If you HAVE to have 110 credit cards, what will they be?" I would guess no AF cards would play a big part!a

Now that would be a much harder question,   i can think of maybe 10 cards to add to my current 34 open accounts, which I consider to be too many, especially when I do my semi-monthly budgeting.    

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 17 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would closing useless cards hurt your score?  Close away, you'll still get up to 10 years of those accounts reporting for aging purposes.

Message 18 of 55
JSS3
Valued Contributor

1. Citi Double cash -non category 2%
2. Amex Blue Cash Everyday-groceries
3. Chase Aarp-restaurants
Message 19 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

My call is: USAA Limitless 2.5%, Chase Business Ink and Citi Double Cash 2% (cheat extra: US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards VS).
Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.