Re: Three cards to rule them all

BCE Groceries 3% gas 2%

Gorewards Restaurants 3%

Chase FU 1.5% on everything

Message 31 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

U.S. Bank Cash+ (Good for two 5% and one 2%. Fast Food and Pharmacy are 5% and Gas is 2%)

Discover It (Rotating 5% Categories-Usually 3 of the 4Q's I do well on)

Discover Miles (good for 1.5%/3% everywhere)
Message 32 of 55
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:
We see lots of these "restricted to small number of cards" type threads. Maybe I should start one on the other extreme: "If you HAVE to have 110 credit cards, what will they be?" I would guess no AF cards would play a big part!a

Now that would be a much harder question,   i can think of maybe 10 cards to add to my current 34 open accounts, which I consider to be too many, especially when I do my semi-monthly budgeting.    

In the event you create a thread for all your cards, would we have enough space and could we stay awake long enough to review your offerings?

What about a "build your lineup out of Comenity and Synchrony cards" thread? That would take some real thought.

As far as the current topic, I couldn't do three. I could do four, all of which I already have.

Schwab Platinum

IHG

Costco

Prestige (or maybe CSR or Ritz, neither of which I have)

...and even then I'd be without a good card for paying taxes...

A little off-topic, but this got me curious - do some people intentionally not have enough withheld so that they can pay taxes via CC and get points, or are the people in this bucket typically self-employed and paying their quarterly estimated taxes via CC?

It could be a number of things...including those you mention, though some employers are reluctant to cut back withholding very far.

Capital gains tax on investments...income tax on rents/interest/dividends...property taxes on a residence or income property.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 33 of 55
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@iced wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:
We see lots of these "restricted to small number of cards" type threads. Maybe I should start one on the other extreme: "If you HAVE to have 110 credit cards, what will they be?" I would guess no AF cards would play a big part!a

Now that would be a much harder question,   i can think of maybe 10 cards to add to my current 34 open accounts, which I consider to be too many, especially when I do my semi-monthly budgeting.    

In the event you create a thread for all your cards, would we have enough space and could we stay awake long enough to review your offerings?

What about a "build your lineup out of Comenity and Synchrony cards" thread? That would take some real thought.

As far as the current topic, I couldn't do three. I could do four, all of which I already have.

Schwab Platinum

IHG

Costco

Prestige (or maybe CSR or Ritz, neither of which I have)

...and even then I'd be without a good card for paying taxes...

A little off-topic, but this got me curious - do some people intentionally not have enough withheld so that they can pay taxes via CC and get points, or are the people in this bucket typically self-employed and paying their quarterly estimated taxes via CC?

It could be a number of things...including those you mention, though some employers are reluctant to cut back withholding very far.

Capital gains tax on investments...income tax on rents/interest/dividends...property taxes on a residence or income property.

I pay every one of those things but they come out automatically except for dividends (mortgage has an escrow to pay property tax and e-trade does some withholding when I sell stock) and I still wind up with a 5 figure refund every April. Guess I'm doing it wrong!

Message 34 of 55
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It will depend on where you live, too, in the case of property taxes. Some towns aren't able to take payment in the form of anything other than a personal check.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 35 of 55
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Chase Freedom
Chase freedom Unlimited
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Message 36 of 55
digitek
Established Contributor

Chase Sapphire Reserve (4.5% travel/dining no FT fee)

Citi Double Cash (2% all around, hopefully USAA Limitless soon)

Those are the only 2 credit cards I carry.  I really like a thin wallet, only a few big bills, drivers license, 2 credit cards and my health insurance card.  I can also kind of cheat because my DW has the BCP because she does the majority of the grocery shopping.  Have an Amazon Prime Visa that stays by my desk, and my Lowe's Amex card stays in my car because I only use it at Lowe's unless its an Amex Offer.

Message 37 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Unlimited

Chase CSP 

Tie Freedom or Amex Platinum

Message 38 of 55
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

For my simple world and needs I would only use the following:

Discover IT card for first year double cash back and rotating 5% and the deals on the account.

Amex BCE for groceries and gas for now. I get gas for myself and wife weekly and grocery shop. More shopping at supermarkets as the summer is approaching and I cook a lot(taste better).

Navy FCU cash rewards siggy for everything else. The cash back and acceptance worldwide is nice. The cash back as well is fine with me too for .

That's all folks.
Message 39 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Reserve - Because I eat out alot

American Express EveryDay Preferred - When I'm not eating out, I buy just about everything with this card

American Express Platinum Card - Just in case I need to travel

Message 40 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.