Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for Schwab to Step Up Its Game...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time for Schwab to Step Up Its Game...

~Seven years ago, Charles Schwab launched its infamous 2% cash back credit card with no foreign transaction fees, only to be cancelled a few years later. Now, Schwab has an Amex Platinum Card (decent) and a rather lame 1.5% cash back card. Anyone think they'll improve their offerings anytime soon, especially considering that Fidelity has a 2% CC and that Schwab was the first player in the 2% space?

Would really like to see their card return to 2%. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time for Schwab to Step Up Its Game...

@Anonymous wrote:

~Seven years ago, Charles Schwab launched its infamous 2% cash back credit card with no foreign transaction fees, only to be cancelled a few years later. Now, Schwab has an Amex Platinum Card (decent) and a rather lame 1.5% cash back card. Anyone think they'll improve their offerings anytime soon, especially considering that Fidelity has a 2% CC and that Schwab was the first player in the 2% space?

Would really like to see their card return to 2%. 

Their debit card is almost unarguably the best in America if you travel.

Beyond that credit cards are a complete sideshow for the investment houses, doubt they care about the rounding error their credit card portfolio is... and FWIW I don't even swipe my Fido anymore, 2% isn't what it used to be.

        
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be cool if in addition to a competitive cashback, they also gave free trades per increment of spending.
Message 3 of 5
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

I will say, though, if you're set on getting an AMEX Platinum and have a large IRA or brokerage balance, you can't beat the $100-200 AF credit you get for Schwab's version.  That plus the airline and Uber credits turn the AF into an actual profit of $50 (if you qualify for the largest AF credit and use all of airline & Uber allowances).

Message 4 of 5
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@MASTERNC wrote:

I will say, though, if you're set on getting an AMEX Platinum and have a large IRA or brokerage balance, you can't beat the $100-200 AF credit you get for Schwab's version.  That plus the airline and Uber credits turn the AF into an actual profit of $50 (if you qualify for the largest AF credit and use all of airline & Uber allowances).

i am trying to wait and see if amex will drop another 100k MR signup bonus since those cards are once a lifteime want to make sure i get the best value of my HP. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.