cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a round of voluntary CC closures...

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Time for a round of voluntary CC closures...

Did some thinking, and its been probably a good year since I had added up all my available credit, and I was astonished to say the least! Well over $450K! (eyes popped wide open). Ive had a very amazing rebuild since my BK7 in 2013. Its been fast and furious, with alot of HP's, and dedication! LOL 

Anyway..decided to shed a few cards that had been  "challenge cards" for me post BK DC, along with "how high can I get my limit". 

Closed the following....(doesnt hurt my overall utilzation, still at 1%. Fico rounds up, so I'm always at "1%")

Lowe's personal - $25K (synch)

Lowe's Business - $15K (synch)

Container Store - $25K (synch)

USAA Visa - $15K (have another Visa with them at $15K, they wont combine, so closed one to get CLI on the other one)

US Bank Business Visa - $6K (have WEMC with them at $12K, and trying for CLI on that one since I use that mostly)

** I added  Verizon Visa Siggy today $5K, so shed some synch to make room for CLI on that card. 

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Time for a round of voluntary CC closures...

Congratulations on your closures! Sometimes it's best to thin the herd.

Message 2 of 32
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

added up all my available credit...  Well over $450K! (eyes popped wide open)  ...decided to shed a few cards that had been  "challenge cards" for me post BK DC, along with "how high can I get my limit". 

Good plan.  I have been adding cards in the past two years but a few years ago I closed many cards.  My previous focus was as much on balance transfer cards (while trying to pay down some very large debts) as it was on rewards and low permanent APRs.  After the debt was paid down, I strategically closed unnecessary cards but left open my rewards cards, oldest cards, and highest limits.  I closed several store cards or what I deemed to be duplicates in some way shape or form. 

The cards I've added recently have enriched my rewards payouts or given me more options with low APRs or lender diversity.  (A year ago, I didn't have any card that paid 2% or more in all uncapped and uncategorized spending.  Now I have three if you include the Apple card purchases on Apple Pay ... or even four if you count my Chase Freedom Unlimited's 2.25% earning for travel when combined with my CSR.)  I also didn't have cards with normal APRs under 10% and now I have a few including the Navy FCU Platinum at 5.99%!   As a by-product, I've also substantially raised my limits.  Still, I may go back within a few years and do another thinning-out of cards of lesser value.  It feels good having TCL's over a half million dollars now, but God knows I'll never use anywhere close to that!!  Smiley Surprised 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 3 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I like big SUBs and don't mind AFs. That way pretty much every card ends up being worthwhile, and inevitable nerfs and changes in my travel/spend habits nudge me to close cards. That helps limit the overall complexity (which to me is the number of websites I need to log into, and the number of complicated rewards programs).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 32
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on getting rid of some cards. Good reasons for that. 
I guess the challenge has started... I need to close a card Smiley Wink 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 32
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on thinning the herd!

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I need to close several useless cards myself! 

Challenge Accepted!

Message 7 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

So what's on the possible chopping block for everyone?

CFU and DC for me. Neither serves a purpose. But I've kept them as I figured I'd be logging into Citi and Chase, anyway.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got rid of 5/3.
Message 9 of 32
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I plan to downgrade my $450 Chase Sapphire Reserve to a no-fee Freedom Unlimited in August because I won't be traveling until the COVID-19 crisis ends.  That won't happen until 2022.  The CFU won't see much use because it's a 1.5% card in a 2% world.

I plan to downgrade my $95 Chase United Explorer to a no-fee United card in August because I won't be traveling until the COVID-19 crisis ends.  That won't happen until 2022.  The downgraded card won't see much use.  Its only value will be additional award seat availability.

My 1.5% NFCU cashRewards hasn't seen any use since I got the 2% NFCU Flagship.

My no-rewards PenFed Promise hasn't seen any use for five years.  I no longer need a balance transfer card.

I should probably close all four of these cards, but that would mean giving up $95,000 of combined credit limits, so I won't do it.  Perhaps I will close one or two.  I'm realizing that most Chase credit cards have little value unless you travel.  I'm also learning that cards that once seemed important are no longer important.

In 2017 I closed 8 cards (3 general purpose cards and 5 store cards).  2020 won't be as draconian.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.