Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to close cards

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Time to close cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm keeping cap1..They were there when no one else was. They gave me my start.

I like your attitude; I feel the same way.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

They all work. But too many. The ones I am keeping will grow and work well for my needs.
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to keep AMEX for the grocery store rewards and I got a 3x CLI this morning on day 62.

I canceled Discover and Comenity Dentalfirst this morning. I had to tell both of them 5 times to close, they try every strategy to keep you.

Tomorrow I am going to cancel Barclay Cashforward, since I made a payment of $4.58 I want it to show a zero balance. As well as Marvel and Diamond Perferred.
Message 13 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just don't use or have any need or want for the ones I'm going to close. Nice cards, but I have too many and I don't want any AA.

It's not really number of cards that matters but the usual risk factors.  Still, if you don't want/need cards then close them out.  Despite the popularity of the "keep all if no AF" meme, you don't need to hoard credit to build or maintain credit.

Consider the info in the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky.

@Anonymous wrote:

Going to Keep and gives me over 60K in available Credit. I don't carry balances past 10% MAX.

Carry or allow to report?  You generally want to avoid carrying but even if you pay in full you can still have balances reporting.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

We live in such a video game reality TV world, where we almost have to justify WHY NOT

More, more, bigger, bigger and another just one MORE but the bottom line is one can only spend much, eat so much and do so much in life.

If the OP (like myself) wants to use /value his/her time & efforts on things other than CC collections more power to em and there isn't any big loss in doing so.

One can qualify for the best terms when applying for cars,homds etc without a Rolodex of CC accounts.

Our society has evolved to the point where so many ppl feel just about anything available fits most folks needs, which is ridiculous....

It always makes me chuckle at the number of ppl mostly with modest incomes and non high power careers but because of marketing they feel they HAVE TO have this phone, at this speed

Spending X% of their income chasing what marketing tells them to, then they cut back on quality food, retirement and college planning for their kids but that latest Bluetooth is a must😂 every 6 months

I say Congratulations!
Choose what works for you and more ppl need to be strong enough to get off the hamster wheel running where they tell (sell) the public.

Yeah, yeah....I know All the cards have a 'purpose' and that extra $1 per $100 comes in handy yada yada

At what 'cost' to remembering to juggle all that crap or even the mental gymnastics required to know when the use the 14th card vs the 11th ....to me that's worth something, my time energy and effort.

There was a poster, last week asking about which cards to purge from his stack of cards with 2k in AFs alone, really? In 2016, almost $200/mo in AFs basically because marketing and modern society has us stuck on silly.
Message 15 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Congrats.  I agree it would be pain keeping track of so many cards.

I have seen many posts recently on closing cards for the same reasons. 

Right. I think when people start off in the credit game they rack up a bunch of cards for various areas of spend. Then later they realize the gains aren't really worth dealing with a bunch of accounts, so they want to consolidate. We see this is a lot; I think it's just the nature learning curve in the credit world. Of course, some people still enjoy having many cards, but others don't want the effort.

I'd definitely move on if you are ready OP. Even with the closures, you still have plenty of credit.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just don't use or have any need or want for the ones I'm going to close. Nice cards, but I have too many and I don't want any AA.

It's not really number of cards that matters but the usual risk factors.  Still, if you don't want/need cards then close them out.  Despite the popularity of the "keep all if no AF" meme, you don't need to hoard credit to build or maintain credit.

Consider the info in the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky.

@Anonymous wrote:

Going to Keep and gives me over 60K in available Credit. I don't carry balances past 10% MAX.

Carry or allow to report?  You generally want to avoid carrying but even if you pay in full you can still have balances reporting.

I will phrase it differently. If I had to carry a balance I would make sure only 10% would report. Generally I let 3-5% report.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
We live in such a video game reality TV world, where we almost have to justify WHY NOT

More, more, bigger, bigger and another just one MORE but the bottom line is one can only spend much, eat so much and do so much in life.

If the OP (like myself) wants to use /value his/her time & efforts on things other than CC collections more power to em and there isn't any big loss in doing so.

One can qualify for the best terms when applying for cars,homds etc without a Rolodex of CC accounts.

Our society has evolved to the point where so many ppl feel just about anything available fits most folks needs, which is ridiculous....

It always makes me chuckle at the number of ppl mostly with modest incomes and non high power careers but because of marketing they feel they HAVE TO have this phone, at this speed

Spending X% of their income chasing what marketing tells them to, then they cut back on quality food, retirement and college planning for their kids but that latest Bluetooth is a must😂 every 6 months

I say Congratulations!
Choose what works for you and more ppl need to be strong enough to get off the hamster wheel running where they tell (sell) the public.

Yeah, yeah....I know All the cards have a 'purpose' and that extra $1 per $100 comes in handy yada yada

At what 'cost' to remembering to juggle all that crap or even the mental gymnastics required to know when the use the 14th card vs the 11th ....to me that's worth something, my time energy and effort.

There was a poster, last week asking about which cards to purge from his stack of cards with 2k in AFs alone, really? In 2016, almost $200/mo in AFs basically because marketing and modern society has us stuck on silly.

Nice!

Message 18 of 27
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

smart move!  what kind of limits do the cards have you are letting go and what will your remaining total available look like when you are done?  funny, I have your 6K chase, you are keeping cards from solid lenders, very nice.  you scores are exactly where I want to be, you have done a great job with your profile

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

smart move!  what kind of limits do the cards have you are letting go and what will your remaining total available look like when you are done?  funny, I have your 6K chase, you are keeping cards from solid lenders, very nice.  you scores are exactly where I want to be, you have done a great job with your profile

Thanks!

Discover was $3,500

Marvel was $10K

Barclay was 6K

Diamond Perferred was $1,500

Dentalfirst was $6,900

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.