Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to cull the herd?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Time to cull the herd?

I'm starting to wonder if there's any point in keeping cards with rotating categories IF you have other cards that cover the same categories year round (albeit at a lower %). I mean, Chase and Discover have become pretty predictable with their 5% categories.

What are your thoughts on this?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time to cull the herd?

To me, I will keep Discover/Freedom for a very long time, because I value the rotating categories. Of course, there are periods I don't use the cards, but that's ok for me.
Message 2 of 8
hyp0luxa
Regular Contributor

I get 3% on gas year round with my BOA Cash Rewards, but you better believe I put all gas on my Freedom in its quarters!

Last TL/HP 7/29/2015 | Gardening till December 2015 at least...
AMEX PRG - NPSL | NASA Cash Rewards - 30k | NFCU Cash Rewards VS - 25k | AMEX Everyday - 18k |
Chase CSP 16.8k | BOA 3-2-1 VS - 12k | Fidelity AMEX - 12k | Citi Dividend - 11.3k | Barclays Sallie Mae WMC - 10k | PayPal Extras MC - 7.5k | WalMart MC- 7.5k | Cap1 QS One - 6k | Barclays Apple Visa - 5.7k | Chase Freedom VS - 5k
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if there's any point in keeping cards with rotating categories IF you have other cards that cover the same categories year round (albeit at a lower %). I mean, Chase and Discover have become pretty predictable with their 5% categories.

Well, as usual it depends on how much work it is to keep the cards vs the expected gain.   I have 5% gas cards and 5% dining cards but as these are Cash Back rather than UR, I am keeping the Freedom for now.   But fine to drop, as I said in another thread, the love for these cards escapes me, with the cap being so low and the fact that Chase/Discover gets to choose the categories!

Message 4 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

Well, as usual it depends on how much work it is to keep the cards vs the expected gain.   I have 5% gas cards and 5% dining cards but as these are Cash Back rather than UR, I am keeping the Freedom for now.   But fine to drop, as I said in another thread, the love for these cards escapes me, with the cap being so low and the fact that Chase/Discover gets to choose the categories!

For low spend it is valuable. For higher spend, of course the uncapped is way more valuable. I'm no baller! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

For low spend it is valuable. For higher spend, of course the uncapped is way more valuable. I'm no baller! Smiley Happy

On low spend it is small of course, maxing at $300 a year, whereas QS would give you $90 of that without the concern about categories.  But of course all about preferences: financially getting a new card with sign up bonus and putting spend there to meet minimum makes more sense, but I know a lot of people don't like that.

Message 6 of 8
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

It sounds like you're considering closing these accounts. I wouldn't.

1. It will hurt your AAoA in 10 years

2. These cards don't cost you anything

3. You could PC, but then you wouldn't get the signing bonus

The only valid reasons to close an account are if there's an annual fee or if you want to churn it, IMO.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

It sounds like you're considering closing these accounts. I wouldn't.

1. It will hurt your AAoA in 10 years

2. These cards don't cost you anything

3. You could PC, but then you wouldn't get the signing bonus

The only valid reasons to close an account are if there's an annual fee or if you want to churn it, IMO.

Other valid reasons (although not for you maybe) are:

1) Don't want to bother will all these accounts

2) Potential need to make periodic purchases to keep them open

3) Concerns about fraud or new charges (from issuer) on unused cards

4) Reduce overall CL to get a new card (which might be what you mean by churn, but this is from a different issuer for example)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.