Did you mean: 

Time to hit the garden...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time to hit the garden...

Maybe.

So those two Amexs are AU accounts?

You may be able to backdate YOUR Amex account to one of those.
Message 11 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe.

So those two Amexs are AU accounts?

You may be able to backdate YOUR Amex account to one of those.

I asked Amex about this when I applied, and was told its a no-go.  I'm a bit hesitant to ask for any more favors from them at this point, I'm just grateful to have the card.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your very own AmEx should date back to the year you became an AU.

If you became an AU in 2011, well, then, there you have it.  But if you became an AU in 2010 or 2002 or whatever, then it should backdate to that year.

I would so strongly consider keeping open your AU Discover card that was opened in 2002 and rarely carries a balance - you need the age.  I would also keep the AU on the 1981 Amex.  Figure out your utilization - with that card reporting a balance, it looks like you'll still be below 9% (I'm not in a math mood).  Just let your other accounts report zero.  Giving up that age will hit you FICO-wise.  In fact, I think I would hold on to the AU Amex 2000 card as well.  Very low balance - and 11 years of age.  That's kinda golden.

The Chase AU I think you can easily let go of.  The others are serving you very very very well.  Don't shoot yourself in the foot in an effort to tidy things up.  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

So I became an AU in 2011, so that point is moot.

I intend to keep open the Discover AU card.  And the Amex 1981 card doesn't seem to affect my utilization.  I suppose I can hold the 2000, too.  Calling to drop the Chase card as I post.

So then I would have

Zync report balance

Green report balance

Gold report balance

BofA report balance

Citi report 0

Discover report 0

Discover report 0

Chase report 0

Seems decent...  beamMEup, what are your thoughts on dropping GEMB/Amazon?

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

With four accounts reporting a balance, you wanna keep any zero reporting account open and in good standing.  IMO they are likely helping your FICO score.

I will pull back from my earlier recommendation to close Amazon, based on that issue.  IMO - Keep 'er open til you get your number of accounts reporting a balance down.

Then, at that point, do the math and check your utilization before making any decision to close.  Especially if it's a no AF account. 

Message 15 of 17
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

I'll join ya Smiley Very Happy

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 16 of 17
Amnesia87
Contributor

+1 I think I'm gonna have to join you in the garden as well.

4 new accounts in 2 months (and one is PSECU Combo so it reports twice >_<)

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.