cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeframes for AA after getting Chase card(s)

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Timeframes for AA after getting Chase card(s)

Simple question here - those of you who have received (or know of someone who received) an Adverse Action by Chase after getting approved for Chase credit cards, how long did it take between getting approved and receiving the adverse action?

So far, it seems to mostly happen around 1-2 weeks after approval. In one case, it took a month. And in another case, it took 3 months, but there were many other credit applications by that person after the approval, so I don't know if that really counts.

I'm almost expecting an AA from Chase, but after 21 days I haven't gotten one yet... here are my data points.

-I have 2 chase checking accounts, both around 12 years old.

-I had a Chase car lease from 2001 to 2004, had no derogatories.

-I got a Chase credit card in 2001, it was charged off around 2003 and never paid back, aged off of my report in 2010.

-Shortly after that in 2010, I got a second chance from Chase with a new Chase credit card.

-In 2016, that card, too, got charged off.

-In January 2019 (yes, this year) I settled that account for less.

-In May 2019 (yes, 4 months after I settled the previous chargeoff), I received preapproval notices from Chase for 3 cards - CSP, CFU, and CF.

-On May 1st, I applied and was approved for a Cap1 card.

-Then, on May 10th, I applied for BOTH the CSP and the CFU. (I didn't do my research first - I didn't realize at the time that this was a TERRIBLE idea!)

-I got instant approval for CSP ($8,400 SL), and a 7-10 notice for the CFU.

-The next morning, on May 11th, I got approval for the CFU ($5,600 SL). It was a weekend, and I never got any phone calls or anything about verifying my ID, etc. They just approved it, with no effort on my part.

It's been 21 days now, and both cards still work. Shortly after I got approved for them, I started doing research and learned about all the AA's that have been happening with people in similar situations as mine. Obviously, I freaked out and immediately regretted not only the CSP application, but also more-so the CFU app that I submitted only 2 hours later. Seemed like my accounts were doomed to be dumepd by Chase. But.... they're still there.

I am still not that confident that Chase will let me keep these cards... but what I'm hoping for from this thread is some analysis about how long it typically takes the Chase underwriters to actually process the AA's. Both for my own peace of mind, as well as everyone else's who might be in a similar situation. Cheers!

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Timeframes for AA after getting Chase card(s)

It's all speculation until it happens.  What works for your profile and someone else is completely different.  Typically with Chase it's going to be swift if it's going to happen.  Most of the time it happens even before the card arrives and you find out when you go to activate the new card(s).  Similarly most lenders keep tabs on new accounts for the first couple of months to see if they need to rescind an approval or modify the CL accordingly to their risk assessment.

The only AA I've had with them was for lack of use on a CC for roughly a year and a half where I was only using them for the free FICO and had already bumped that card down to a $500 limit shifting the majority of the CL to another card.  

My latest accounts with them CFU/CF/AMZ all opened in the last 2 years with CFU/AMZ opened the same day and CF(CSP originally) less than 6 months later are still open with the flurry of new accounts in the same 24 month period.  Surrounding the Chase accounts I also opened a BOA account with the CFU/AMZ accounts on the same day.  When I opened the CSP I also opened a Citi card the same day.  Within a coupe of months I added 2 X USB and a couple of months after that added another Citi card to the mix.  

I don't "bank" with Chase as I like to keep cash separate from Credit.  Scores at the time of these apps were all over 800 at the time of approval.  So, it really does vary by profile as to what triggers a reaction from Chase or any other lender. 

Similarly Barclay's tends to be offended if you open several accounts around the same time as approving one of their cards.  Even in the disclosures with Barclay they specify if things change in your profile they can change your CL even in the first or subsequent months.  I've delat with them in the past and experienced this AA they perform on 2 accounts but, that was a very long time ago and different profile at the time.  There are plenty of stories around here about the loathing of Barclay's and their actions with certain profiles.  

All in all it's all really a gamble when it comes to credit and creditors.  Nothing is 100% until it happens.

Message 2 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Great post, and great data points, thank you.

Interesting that you, too, opened a bunch of new credit along with Chase in a short time, and they never really cared.

Chase does seem to drop credit limits to $500 with unused cards, I also had that happen about 10 years ago. They dropped my $8,000 Ink card down to $500 after I hadn't used it in over a year.

I'm "glad" (sort of) to hear that Chase is typically swift in their AA responses after new card approvals. After 3 weeks, it's starting to feel like I might have dodged a bullet. Could I really be perhaps the first person EVER to apply for 2 Chase card in the same day in 2019, after burning them TWICE in the recent past, and actually got to keep both new cards? Possibly, but I'm going to give it another week or two before I can confidently make that claim Smiley Very Happy

I gotta say, though, that if Chase doesn't end up taking any AA against me for these new cards, it'll be pretty much a first, as far as I can tell. I've seen other people with WAAAAAAAAY better credit histories than mine get their cards cancelled after applying twice in 90 days (let alone, twice in ONE DAY like I did). If I pulled it off with my mediocre credit scores and relatively terrible recent history with Chase , then.... I don't even know what to say. I'd be shocked, to say the least. I'm already shocked, that my cards still work after 21 days.

Message 3 of 14
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

I'm also hoping to avoid AA from Chase. I apped CF during an app spree in early May and added 5 cards in 48 hours (poor decision making). Only the BB&T account has reported, and in my mind (not sure there's data to support this) one threshold to pass with Chase is whether they respond when all new accounts report.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's unfortunate you have to worry. They shouldn't approve in the first place. Some of their cards work together. I'm still waiting to apply for the CFU to compliment my Ink and CSR.
Message 5 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I dont know but you must be luckiest person on Chase Earth , Op Smiley Wink. 2 Charge offs in 15 years and Chase is still approving you credit cards. People have done less and are banned for life with Chase. Chase must really like what you offer but i would make sure not to burn thrice. Even though many think AA might happen at specific times, reality is all it takes is one review and they can close all your accounts for unsatisfactory previous relationship. Just be careful if you ever try for a cli . Those will be eyes on your account for sure.
Message 6 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@coreysw12 wrote:

Simple question here - those of you who have received (or know of someone who received) an Adverse Action by Chase after getting approved for Chase credit cards, how long did it take between getting approved and receiving the adverse action?

So far, it seems to mostly happen around 1-2 weeks after approval. In one case, it took a month. And in another case, it took 3 months, but there were many other credit applications by that person after the approval, so I don't know if that really counts.

I'm almost expecting an AA from Chase, but after 21 days I haven't gotten one yet... here are my data points.

-I have 2 chase checking accounts, both around 12 years old.

-I had a Chase car lease from 2001 to 2004, had no derogatories.

-I got a Chase credit card in 2001, it was charged off around 2003 and never paid back, aged off of my report in 2010.

-Shortly after that in 2010, I got a second chance from Chase with a new Chase credit card.

-In 2016, that card, too, got charged off.

-In January 2019 (yes, this year) I settled that account for less.

-In May 2019 (yes, 4 months after I settled the previous chargeoff), I received preapproval notices from Chase for 3 cards - CSP, CFU, and CF.

-On May 1st, I applied and was approved for a Cap1 card.

-Then, on May 10th, I applied for BOTH the CSP and the CFU. (I didn't do my research first - I didn't realize at the time that this was a TERRIBLE idea!)

-I got instant approval for CSP ($8,400 SL), and a 7-10 notice for the CFU.

-The next morning, on May 11th, I got approval for the CFU ($5,600 SL). It was a weekend, and I never got any phone calls or anything about verifying my ID, etc. They just approved it, with no effort on my part.

It's been 21 days now, and both cards still work. Shortly after I got approved for them, I started doing research and learned about all the AA's that have been happening with people in similar situations as mine. Obviously, I freaked out and immediately regretted not only the CSP application, but also more-so the CFU app that I submitted only 2 hours later. Seemed like my accounts were doomed to be dumepd by Chase. But.... they're still there.

I am still not that confident that Chase will let me keep these cards... but what I'm hoping for from this thread is some analysis about how long it typically takes the Chase underwriters to actually process the AA's. Both for my own peace of mind, as well as everyone else's who might be in a similar situation. Cheers!

AA can happen at any time and it would not be performed by UW. There is a different team that handles  those reviews. 

With that said, you already have cards, so lay low. Dont apply for anything. Chase will SP some customers for a while after CSP approval. 

I was way over 5/24 and I've had SPs on EX for the first 8 weeks, one every two weeks.  It's really important you dont incur new inquiries/accounts for a while. 

Dont be super aggressive when it comes to chasing CSP SUB. Take your time. Just go on about your life as you normally would.  

Hopefully, nothing will happen, you keep your cards, everyone is happy

Worrying about something that's completely out of your hands will drive you nuts. 

Message 7 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

To me it is not worth the time or energy worrying about it because there's nothing you can do about it. If it happens it happens. Life goes on. They're just cards at the end of the day. If it does happen, you can address it at that time. Until and unless it does, just use your cards and don't stress it at this point.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

To me it is not worth the time or energy worrying about it because there's nothing you can do about it. If it happens it happens. Life goes on. They're just cards at the end of the day. If it does happen, you can address it at that time. Until and unless it does, just use your cards and don't stress it at this point.

This is what I'm telling myself now. I too was worried about my-recently approved CSP being shut down because I was approved on Tuesday and since then I've had a flurry of inquiries due to rate-shopping to finance a new vehicle. I also added an Am Ex Platinum Skymiles and, and a credit union that approved me for the vehicle loan threw in a Visa with a 5K limit when I got approved for the loan (and they didn't make that approval contingent upon me taking the car loan). So I will have two new CC acounts reporting in 60 or so days. But like you said, we shouldn't worry about things that are out of our control. I'm just going to hope for the best. I received the card yesterday, activated it, and have already put some spend on it. If they do AA me, I'll try a recon based on the fact that I've been a Chase banking customer for the better part of a decade and it is my primary bank account (which my paycheck gets deposited into), I have a mortgage and student loans, and have had the same job for almost 10 years. Hopefully if it comes down to it, that will convince them that I'm not a "bust down" threat.

Message 9 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

I'm also hoping to avoid AA from Chase. I apped CF during an app spree in early May and added 5 cards in 48 hours (poor decision making). Only the BB&T account has reported, and in my mind (not sure there's data to support this) one threshold to pass with Chase is whether they respond when all new accounts report.

I had similar thoughts. Out of my 3 cards, the non-chase one was the first to report, about a week ago now (and the inquiry from applying for it was already on my report before I applied for the chase cards). The CSP started reporting earlier this week, and the CFU hasn't reported yet. So, on the plus side, Chase won't get any new surprises anymore, they should already know about the Cap1 card by now. And they should theoretically be aware of the CFU card already, since it's theirs Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.