cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeframes for AA after getting Chase card(s)

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Re: Timeframes for AA after getting Chase card(s)

@Anonymous wrote:
It's unfortunate you have to worry. They shouldn't approve in the first place. Some of their cards work together. I'm still waiting to apply for the CFU to compliment my Ink and CSR.

Ya that's what makes me mad - Chase is like, "You're pre-approved to apply for BOTH of these great cards! Oh and by the way, they compliment each other wonderfully! Here's two applications you can fill out for the two cards you're pre-approved for!"

And then when you apply for them, they're like, "Thanks for your applications, but that was a HUGE mistake on your part, now we're closing all your accounts."

It's like, come on Chase, if you have a "you can't apply for 2 cards too close together policy", how about just declining the second app? Or how about at least a little warning label somewhere?

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 11 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

To me it is not worth the time or energy worrying about it because there's nothing you can do about it. If it happens it happens. Life goes on. They're just cards at the end of the day. If it does happen, you can address it at that time. Until and unless it does, just use your cards and don't stress it at this point.

This is what I'm telling myself now. I too was worried about my-recently approved CSP being shut down because I was approved on Tuesday and since then I've had a flurry of inquiries due to rate-shopping to finance a new vehicle. I also added an Am Ex Platinum Skymiles and, and a credit union that approved me for the vehicle loan threw in a Visa with a 5K limit when I got approved for the loan (and they didn't make that approval contingent upon me taking the car loan). So I will have two new CC acounts reporting in 60 or so days. But like you said, we shouldn't worry about things that are out of our control. I'm just going to hope for the best. I received the card yesterday, activated it, and have already put some spend on it. If they do AA me, I'll try a recon based on the fact that I've been a Chase banking customer for the better part of a decade and it is my primary bank account (which my paycheck gets deposited into), I have a mortgage and student loans, and have had the same job for almost 10 years. Hopefully if it comes down to it, that will convince them that I'm not a "bust down" threat.

I've been trying not to lose sleep over this, too, but it's hard - not a lot of other banks are offering me anything other than subprime cards, so if I lose my chase cards then I won't really have any decent rewards cards anymore, plus the no FTF and the primary rental car coverage are a pretty big deal for me. But I suppose that, worst case scenario, I could get my scores up a bit higher and maybe get an amex platinum that is not quite as good of a fit for me, but still good.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 12 of 14
Green456
Established Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

To me it is not worth the time or energy worrying about it because there's nothing you can do about it. If it happens it happens. Life goes on. They're just cards at the end of the day. If it does happen, you can address it at that time. Until and unless it does, just use your cards and don't stress it at this point.

This is what I'm telling myself now. I too was worried about my-recently approved CSP being shut down because I was approved on Tuesday and since then I've had a flurry of inquiries due to rate-shopping to finance a new vehicle. I also added an Am Ex Platinum Skymiles and, and a credit union that approved me for the vehicle loan threw in a Visa with a 5K limit when I got approved for the loan (and they didn't make that approval contingent upon me taking the car loan). So I will have two new CC acounts reporting in 60 or so days. But like you said, we shouldn't worry about things that are out of our control. I'm just going to hope for the best. I received the card yesterday, activated it, and have already put some spend on it. If they do AA me, I'll try a recon based on the fact that I've been a Chase banking customer for the better part of a decade and it is my primary bank account (which my paycheck gets deposited into), I have a mortgage and student loans, and have had the same job for almost 10 years. Hopefully if it comes down to it, that will convince them that I'm not a "bust down" threat.

I've been trying not to lose sleep over this, too, but it's hard - not a lot of other banks are offering me anything other than subprime cards, so if I lose my chase cards then I won't really have any decent rewards cards anymore, plus the no FTF and the primary rental car coverage are a pretty big deal for me. But I suppose that, worst case scenario, I could get my scores up a bit higher and maybe get an amex platinum that is not quite as good of a fit for me, but still good.

This is why my next goal is to get credit cards from credit unions. They are less likely to close an account with you and close your membership than for profit bank. I know that Chase UR points are hard to beat but it is not a bad idea to have back up, if not for rewards then at least for credit history.

Message 13 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

What has the forum come to when people are taking one-off stories as gospel about a lender?

Just stop worrying, seriously, 99.9% of the population doesn't have a problem with Chase cards, this is getting absurd how much FUD has been on this forum recently and I'm not even reading it regularly.

Almost every single story has something which hasn't been disclosed, one of the people saying Chase sucks lately did something incredibly awkward, paraphrasing Remedios's excellent statement: don't poke the bear, and to add to that, stop losing sleep over this.  It is not something to worry about.

        
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.