Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of Citi CLI vs new application

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Timing of Citi CLI vs new application

My wife is considering applying for a new card from Citi.  She currently has the Citi Forward card, but was given a toy limit of $500.  She's had the card for a little over 6 months. 

She has some credit blemishes from 4+ years ago.  Several late payments and one paid collection.  Since that time, no negative marks. 

Not sure what her current FICO score is.  We are going to check EQ in the next few days once some balances update to take her from about 20% to optimal utlization.  Not that this will help much, but currently her Transrisk FAKO scores are 737 TU, 761 EX, 705 EQ.   

With that background, we're trying to figure out whether it would be better to ask for a CLI on the Forward before applying for new Citi cards, or just app for new cards?  If the former, how much time would you wait between asking for the CLI before apping for new cards?  Part of the reason I am asking is that I just applied for some additional Citi cards and they gave me a much higher limit on my second cards than on my first card.  But I also received a reasonable limit of $7K on the first card, so my experience is not necessarily analogous.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Re: Timing of Citi CLI vs new application

My experience has been that Citi pulls EQ for CLI's and EX for new accounts. So I don't really think it would matter what order you did it in...but it may vary by location. Citi pulled EX for my new account, then I went to apply for an additional CLI and it denied me (just got a CLI last month) citing EQ report, even though they never actually pulled it because my account wasn't eligible. 

Photobucket
Message 2 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

I would guess apping for a new card would get a better result, if the initial CL was $500.

For me, my second Citi app resulted in a higher CL, but I waited 6 months.  With a higher score, the autmoated system may just assign a higher CL.  Either way, it's a hard inquiry, and I'd assume app and receive a sign up bonus along the way.

Message 3 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Didn't realize Citi CLIs were always HPs. Was thinking they were sometimes SPs. If that is the case, I am more inclined toward a new app rather than trying to first raise CL and then apply for a new card.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 4 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

For a $500 CL requested to a higher one (I'd assume you'd want at least $5K), I'd imagine it would require an HP.  For some CLs, say from $5K to $7k, may only be a SP especially if automated.

You can ask them, but it isn't easy to get a definitive or accurate answer.  I'd allocate for a HP.

Message 5 of 10
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:
Didn't realize Citi CLIs were always HPs. Was thinking they were sometimes SPs. If that is the case, I am more inclined toward a new app rather than trying to first raise CL and then apply for a new card.

They're not always hard pulls. I had two soft pull CLI's...but you don't know they're going to be SP until you submit it. If it comes up you are approved for X amount without a HP, you can accept it or ask more. But you don't know whether it will be HP or SP until you submit it.

I got a SP CLI, took the amount, then got a new account. Later, I tried a CLI again (this time with a HP) to try and get more but it denied instantly, citing that they used my EQ report. But I have a monitoring service and they never even pulled my report because I had just had the SP CLI not too long ago. So they were going to pull EX for my CLI but didn't.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 10
chnceit
Valued Contributor

My last baddie fell off finally in October then CITI finally gave me a CLI after one year.

They then approved me instantly for a Thank you Preferred for $6.5K

I wanted to combined my accounts, but they told me to wait 30 days - so I aint holding my breathe

But they are baddie sensative IMO

Good luck buddy!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 7 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Thanks all.  We'll probably wait at least until we check FICO score and then decide what to do.

Message 8 of 10
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Citi is always an HP if the customer requests. They usually pull EQ for CLI's and New Accounts

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 9 of 10
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Actually thats partly false because the rep does state it's a SP if a CLI is available and if approved and want more then it would be a HP.

I clicked the CLI button online every month till I got an increase with no HP

But this could be a true YMMV

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.