cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing the Sapphire Preferred/Freedom combo?

tag
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Timing the Sapphire Preferred/Freedom combo?

I'm thinking about getting the Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo.  If I decide to go this route, how long after applying for one should I wait to apply for the other?

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Timing the Sapphire Preferred/Freedom combo?

Apply for one first, then wait at the very least 6 months for the other...Chase usually recommends almost a year, but I did apply at the 11 month mark of having my Freedom and received the Sapphire after further review.

Message 2 of 9
ssmith891
New Contributor

I waited less than a month. First Sapphire Preferred, then Freedom. Instant approval for both. YMMV.
Message 3 of 9
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i got the freedom about 9 months ago at a $500 limit... about 4-5 months after that i got a $1000 CLI to bring the CL to a total of $1500....Last week I apped for the Chase United Mileageplus Exploer and got it with a $5000 Visa Signature....On Tuesday i was at the branch and I asked if I had any Pre approvals...I was told i had one for the CSP so  I apped and got it with a $5000 Visa SIgnature limit....and only spending $2000 in three months to get 40k points....so go into a branch and ask for pre approvals....but i had a checking and savings with them

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 4 of 9
rabell12
Established Member

I app'd for the Freedom in November with no instant approval.  Called the back door # and got a very pleasant young lady who asked a few questions about a couple of closed accounts on my report. She said everything looked fine and she would recommend approval. I told her I was really interested in the Freedom/CSP combination and asked if she thought I would be approved for the CSP if I app'd then, or should I wait. She looked again said she didn't see any reason I would not be approved.  She wouldn't/couldn't process the app for me, so I hung up, immediately app'd online for CSP, no instant approval. Called the backdoor # and got a male.  He looked at my report, asked why I wanted the CSP in addition to the Freedom that was just approved. Told him the UR program fit my needs better than the AMEX MR program and I was moving the majority of my spending for that reason (true). Approved

Message 5 of 9
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I would apply at the same time for both. As long as you have no negatives on any reports, you should be able to get both.

Message 6 of 9
YahComb
Established Contributor

If you feel your report is good enough for csp, then i agree do both at once
EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 7 of 9
bribro
Valued Contributor

I applied less than 1 month apart and got insant approval for both. I regret not applying on the exact same day to perhaps save myself an inquiry.

BTW, now is the perfect time to apply for the CSP since you'll maximize your annual bonus (if you plan to downgrade/PC the card before the AF hits).

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 9
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

I'm thinking about getting the Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo.  If I decide to go this route, how long after applying for one should I wait to apply for the other?

I applied for both about an hour apart and was approved for both.  Go for it now. 

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.