Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip in cash or credit card?

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Tip in cash or credit card?

I tip in cash if I happen to have cash, which is rare. Otherwise it goes on the card.
Message 11 of 47
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

It always goes on the card.

Message 12 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

This is why I enjoy dining in SE Asia and Japan so much.  Don't need to worry about tipping since it's considered rude.

Message 13 of 47
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Geez well I rarely if ever carry cash so all of my tips are on the CC. I have an app on my iPhone that I use to record the final amount of my receipts in case someone tries to pull something shady. Thank goodness I've never had to personally deal with that but I know others that it has happened to.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 14 of 47
toppers555
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:
+1. Waiters like to under report their tips and can't get away with it as easily for cc tips. I wouldn't be surprised if a restaurant tried to take the swipe fee out on a prorated basis from the tip (though I don't remember that happening back when I waited tables). But that wouldn't persuade me to change how I tip. It's a cost of doing business for the waiter as well as every other business establishment.

Actually most waiters restaurant employers do charge a fee for converting tip on credit  , which is why they prefer cash. Not to say their are not any who don't under report though .  

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 15 of 47
aplast
Regular Contributor

My family and I own and operate a restaurant - servers would much rather see a cash tip. Everytime they get a CC tip the POS (point of sale) keeps track of it, and when they "cash out" at the end of the night they have to report what they earned so they can be taxed appropriately. Less CC tips = less of a record of how much money they made. We do have a percentage that they have to stay above in order to satisfy the tax man, and protect them. Most places are similar. If I have cash on me when I go out I leave cash... Otherwise its a CC tip. But if you are leaving something decent im sure your server will be appreciative!

Message 16 of 47
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Nope. Don't leave cash tip. I'm not going to make two payments just to assist the server in committing a criminal act. Pay your fair share in taxes. I definitely do.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 47
colindidit
Established Contributor

That's true ^ at the same if I have a couple dollars in cash ill tip that.. I guess it really depends on the situation
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 18 of 47
aplast
Regular Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
Nope. Don't leave cash tip. I'm not going to make two payments just to assist the server in committing a criminal act. Pay your fair share in taxes. I definitely do.

The amount they are required to declare tip wise is above the minimum (it is a percentage of their sales) - and personally we have never had an issue with the IRS. I worked at a couple other restaurants where that percentage was 10% of cash sales, and another that was 15%. This isn't including tip pool if applicable. What the server declares above that percentage (which we also DONT tell them what the minimum %  is) is up to them. Professional servers obviously want their W-2 to be higher so they can buy cars, get loans,  etc etc... and have the proper documentation to prove it if needed. However the college student working part time, no, I don't think would declare 100% because they are trying to make as much as they can. My servers usually make between 30-75 a check depending on how much in cash tips were claimed and how many deductions they chose on the W-4. This is very common in the service industry. Restaurants, bars, clubs, lounges.. You get the point. "criminal act"? Him that's debatable. Grey area? Maybe. Trust me I pay my fair share of taxes (sales, payroll, property), and provide about 50 jobs in my community! I guess I don't mind leaving cash when I have some because I know how it is in the industry.

Message 19 of 47
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

To under-report your income is tax evasion and you can go to jail for it. It's a criminal act pure and simple. Yes, there are servers who report the actual amount to tips they earned. My post wasn't alleging that anyone in particular was doing this. Just a statement that it occurs.

If they industry is broken then those involved in it need to fix it. That's not my job. I do appreciate you running a business and employing 50 people.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.