Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip in cash or credit card?

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Tip in cash or credit card?

I prefer to tip in cash!  Having been a waiter in the past I would much prefer it that way!  Less to report!  I don't want them to have to give so much to the gov.  Yeah, make sure that you write in a zero, try not to write in cash, just in case they get audited.  You could put in no tip and some of them might like that even more in case they do get audited. 

I do know that one day, I will leave a very nice tip on the credit card!  Why, so that when I get that waiter that really does their job well, they can use it to brag to everyone!  It will hopefully do wonders to those waiters who don't perform like they should!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 41 of 47
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I usually tip using my credit card. The tip also depends on how good the service is....or how pretty the girl serving me is Smiley Tongue
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 42 of 47
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I wish that y'all would start tipping me.

Currently, I'm delivering pizzas on the weekends and even a ten percent tip is a rarity these days.

Speed, accuracy, positive attitude, freezing weather.... none of it matters.

People place orders via the internet, then tip the "faceless" driver $1.00, then ACTUALLY APOLOGIZE at the door for their poor tipping.

That's infuriating.

Tip in cash, tip with your credit card, tip with a coffee can full of change, just tip your driver, darn it!  Smiley Tongue

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 43 of 47
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I've done it both ways, but I definitely have server and bartender friends that prefer to be tipped in cash. If it's someone I don't know, I'll usually leave it on the card.

I always make sure to write CASH in big capital letters in the TIP section....have heard reports of servers writing in amounts and screwing people that way.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 44 of 47
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

card
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 45 of 47
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@tcbofade wrote:

Currently, I'm delivering pizzas on the weekends and even a ten percent tip is a rarity these days.

People place orders via the internet, then tip the "faceless" driver $1.00, then ACTUALLY APOLOGIZE at the door for their poor tipping.

That's infuriating.

Tip in cash, tip with your credit card, tip with a coffee can full of change, just tip your driver, darn it!  Smiley Tongue

Um... no; that's just wrong. You come drop off a pizza at my house, and unless you've really done something to mess up you can expect to get around a 20% tip from me. I know good and well that this is part of your living. Having you come to my house to deliver it is a convenience to me -- as opposed to schlepping out to pick it up myself -- and so I'm willing to pay you for your services.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 46 of 47
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

That's infuriating.

That's terrible, I usually do 25% tip on deliveries which also helps getting my orders very fast. $1 tip is awful and insulting. And always on card, I never have cash anyway.

Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.