Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip in cash or credit card?

tag
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Re: Tip in cash or credit card?

I make cash so I tip cash.  It wasn't until December that I got my first rewards card.  I will still continue to tip cash.  Once I give them the tip it is theirs to do what they want with.  Claim it, share it,  throw it in the trash.  Just saying why force them to do something they don't want.  I also tip every time no matter what, good service or not.  A string of no tips or terrible customers could be the cause of it.  I figure maybe my tip will begin to turn the day for them.  I have been there.  Just think ahead you may not remember not giving them a tip but they will.  People who work for tips remember over tippers and awful tippers.  Average tips seem to not stand out ( unless you go there daily). 

A SIDE NOTE ONE WISE PERSON TOLD ME.  DELIVERY DRIVERS SPEND AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME WITH YOUR FOOD ALONE! 

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 21 of 47
antae
New Contributor

I usually leave cash for the tip.

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Message 22 of 47
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I always tip and normally above min accepted amounts. I just think we have gotten away from the original purpose of TIPS (to insure prompt service). Tips are now the only meaningful source of income for servers.

I would rather pay more per menu item then use this antiquated system. But that's not going to happen.

To the last poster, yes once they have the money it's theirs to do with as they please. But while its still mine I can select the method of how I want to pay for the meal and tip for the service.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 47
aplast
Regular Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
To under-report your income is tax evasion and you can go to jail for it. It's a criminal act pure and simple. Yes, there are servers who report the actual amount to tips they earned. My post wasn't alleging that anyone in particular was doing this. Just a statement that it occurs.

If they industry is broken then those involved in it need to fix it. That's not my job. I do appreciate you running a business and employing 50 people.

I didnt take offense to anything you have said Duncanrr. I agree with some of your points as well. I was just putting in my .02 as im around it at my place of business as well as other restaurant mgrs/owners that are friends of mine. I enjoy this community because we can always get a great view and lots of objective advice/thoughts.

you sir are correct about tax evasion. The reason I stated it may be debateable is because most of the servers would get back most of the taxes paid in when they get their tax return - if not all of it, unless they have other circumstances of course. Definite Grey area though. If we are going by the letter of the law.. sure its wrong not to claim 100% of your tips as a server. Im 100% honest about my personal taxes and everything with the business. I am also a W-2 employee of the company as to keep business and personal totally seperate. My accountant calls me asking for reciepts, stuff from the register, and other documents all the time. I always appreciate your threads and comments! OP I apologize if I took the thread over. Wasnt my intent.

Message 24 of 47
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I never keep cash so I use my CC for tip

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 25 of 47
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@staifokuzed wrote:

I make cash so I tip cash.  It wasn't until December that I got my first rewards card.  I will still continue to tip cash.  Once I give them the tip it is theirs to do what they want with.  Claim it, share it,  throw it in the trash.  Just saying why force them to do something they don't want.  I also tip every time no matter what, good service or not.  A string of no tips or terrible customers could be the cause of it.  I figure maybe my tip will begin to turn the day for them.  I have been there.  Just think ahead you may not remember not giving them a tip but they will.  People who work for tips remember over tippers and awful tippers.  Average tips seem to not stand out ( unless you go there daily). 

A SIDE NOTE ONE WISE PERSON TOLD ME.  DELIVERY DRIVERS SPEND AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME WITH YOUR FOOD ALONE! 

I also leave a tip every time unless the service is truly atrocious, and I mean really bad.  But I definitely tip differently depending on the quality of the service.  And I'm not talking about leaving a $1 on a large check to teach them a lesson or something.  But if you deliver poor service, I will leave you 15%.  As long as it is marginally good service, I leave at least 20%.  For example, last night my wife and I had dinner before a show.  We ate at the bar.  The bartender was surly.  She did not smile.  She kept forgetting my order and had to take it three times, so that 15 minutes after we ordered our food she still had not put it in.  When they delivered the food, I tried to hand some of the plates from apps to the busboy, and he told me to just push them forward toward the bar.  The bartender then told me not to put them there.  When I explained that I had been asked to place them there by the busboy, she said "I don't care, don't put them here."  She still got 15%, which I think was more than she deserved.  I've been a waiter as well, and there are too many that feel entitled to that tip.

But back to the topic at hand, and as to your point about not caring what they do with it, I don't much care either. But that isn't the point.  It benefits me to leave it on my CC, both because I get points and because I often do not have cash.  If the best argument they can present for me to give them cash is so they can cheat on their taxes, that's not a compelling argument for me to change my payment behavior.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 26 of 47
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@aplast. Smiley Wink MyFICO hugs n kisses.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 27 of 47
aplast
Regular Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
@aplast. Smiley Wink MyFICO hugs n kisses.

absolutely Smiley Happy

and btw, I do love getting cash back so leaving gratuity on a CC is 110% ok in my book!

Message 28 of 47
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Sorry my wording was not to tell you tip cash.  It is your right to tip as you please cc, cash, lottery or to not tip at all.  I would never not tip because that person does rely on the tip as income.  Tax evasion is breaking the law.  But it is the choice of the person that I gave tip to.  I would not hold it against them.  I look at it this way that extra money they don't report could be feeding a child or keeping the heat on.  Or could be going to drugs, gambling ect..  That's why I say do as you wish.  Also sorry OP I will not reply any more I do don't want to Hijack your thread.  My guess to the outcome is going to be 60% tip cash 35% on card 3% lottery (older generation)  2% feel tips are not necessary.

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 29 of 47
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@staifokuzed wrote:

i'm with you on that - tipping no matter what (amount, i.e.  %, of tip may vary depending on level of service or cheerful/helpful attitude vs surly/dour, etc) but i always tip minimum of 10% (for not so stellar service/attitude), on up to 20%.... although usually 15-18% range. 

my reasoning is the same as you posted, maybe the tip will turn the day for them Smiley Happy 

ETA:  i almost always tip in cash for anything up to $10 tip ... but usually add tip to cc if the tip is over $10, just because i don't carry alot of cash

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.