Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Credit Card - Poor Credit Recommendation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tire Credit Card - Poor Credit Recommendation

ISO recommendation for credit card for tire purchase.

Spouse and I had 750+ scores until hours cut and illness hit our home last year. Attempting to rebuild credit after having credit card late over 60 days and house being late for 180+ days before they'd refi. The last pull 580 (a month ago). In dire need of credit card for tires, roughly $2k, for both vehciles. Any recommendations for guaranteed approval? Denied Tire Pro card but not sure which bank it was through exactly.

We understand this is not the way to rebuild our credit but are ISO of suggestions to help us out the bind we're in.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Tire Credit Card - Poor Credit Recommendation

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Most of us here have been where you are, so don't sweat it. Im certainly not going to tell you this isn't the way to rebuild, because actually...it is. You have low scores, and derogs on your report, gotta start somewhere.

I know that you understand approvals arent guaranteed, so my suggestions are Pep boys, Firestone, Discount tire.

Before you apply though, search here on the forums in the "approvals" sections, and type in "firestone", and search a bit. The posters usually will list their stats such as baddies, scores, income, and approval limit.

That way, after researching some, you can decide which card would be a best fit for you and your credit profile, and how good the chances at approval may be.

Good luck, and hope to see you in approvals posting your own thread! Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 9
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Yor best bet is probably a product from CFNA (creditfirst). They are a division of Firestone... They issue Tires Plus, Firestone, and a few other automotive/tire cards....  However, you will probably see a $700 SL with scores in your range... They almost exclusively use TU.. TirePros is a Synchrony/CarCare one card, a little harder to get an approval on..

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

Yor best bet is probably a product from CFNA (creditfirst). They are a division of Firestone... They issue Tires Plus, Firestone, and a few other automotive/tire cards....  However, you will probably see a $700 SL with scores in your range... They almost exclusively use TU.. TirePros is a Synchrony/CarCare one card, a little harder to get an approval on..

Could they both apply individually for cards based on their scores... I.E Husband and Wife apply seperately... 

Perhaps thats enough for them to put tires on both vehicles....

Message 4 of 9
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Sure.. No reason that cant be done...

I've worked with CFNA at my work for years (15+).. They are probably the most lenient as far as TIre/Auto card companies go.. Ive seen a LOT of 560-600's get approved.

cfna.com   (hope that is allowed)

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Just a thought. Roughly 7 yrs ago. I was having a rough time after moving from a layoff and losing 15k in salary a year. My SUV needed tires badly, tread showing. I went to used tire places around town. Got tires for 150 balanced and installed that lasted over a year. I did it twice until things improved. Second set were Michelins! They lasted over a year. So for the price of 1 new tire and got 4 until things inproved. Its amazing what people turn in or they buy them from totaled veicles. JMO as I said.

Message 6 of 9
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Just a thought. Roughly 7 yrs ago. I was having a rough time after moving from a layoff and losing 15k in salary a year. My SUV needed tires badly, tread showing. I went to used tire places around town. Got tires for 150 balanced and installed that lasted over a year. I did it twice until things improved. Second set were Michelins! They lasted over a year. So for the price of 1 new tire and got 4 until things inproved. Its amazing what people turn in or they buy them from totaled veicles. JMO as I said.

This is a great idea actually!  My DH has a Dodge truck that has tires that cost an arm and a leg so he does this regularly instead of buying new.  Especially in our area there's tons of construction going on and he enevitably ends up with a nail or screw in one every few months...much easier to swallow $40-50 than over $200!
Another option is Walmart...their store card might give you an approval in your score range, even being a Sync product...AND they have 0% interest promos for 12 mo on purchases over $299...sometimes longer as the holidays approach.  As another poster mentioned, it's unlikely you will get a $2k limit for both cars to get tires in that score range.  But I've bought my last 4 or 5 sets of tires at WM.
Good Luck! Smiley Happy
Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of good ideas in this thread.  Firestone will almost certainly pull TU if that matters.  I got one as my second card after a secured Capital One.  It was for $1,000.  I probably had FICOs in the very low 600's at the time.  If you want new, Fireston and Walmart would probably be your best bet.

Message 8 of 9
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Hi, read your post and am hoping you have some insight.

I just stared clearing credit and have some disputes in process that should clear. You can see my 3B scores in signature

Was rejected by firestone. Have no open retail lines or bank lines just student loans that TU marks being open. They are newish at three years aaoa is 1.5 years. I have one collection in dispute and 1 lien in dispute that should clear as it is past refile date.

Got email to call cfna . played tel tag for two days. Was told today they cannot tell me anything until my letter of disapproval arrives.

Any words of wisdom of what to do besides wait😢

Thanks

Mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.