cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tired of figuring out what card to pull at the POS?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Re: Tired of figuring out what card to pull at the POS?

@Loquat wrote:

The SPG Biz works out well in my situation because the wife and I like the Marriott properties (not to fond of how the merger is shaking out but that's another story) and with 2 monster, gas guzzling SUVs, her Civic SI, and my Scat Pack Charger, we burn through a lot of fuel and the 4x points work out well.  We have no children so we dine out a lot so it works well there also.  We both have cell phones and she has one for work and I've got my grandmother on our plan so we capitalize in that area to.  

We accumulate a lot of Marriott Rewards points in a short period of time.  I know a lot of folks didn't care for the 33% reduction in point value in the SPG-Marriott merger (and I don't blame them) but for us it was an increase as I was getting 1SPG (3Marriott points)/$ and now I'm getting 4 Marriott Points/$ and the change will easily net us an additional 1-2k points or more per month.  

Most of the properties we frequent didn't have a category change with the merger and a couple actually went down in category so this has been a win-win for us...minus the hiccups of actually merging the rewards program.  

Question, my wife works for marriott. Any idea if I can get the point value even with her discount. We're staying at Courtyards for $39-$49 a night pretty much every where we go so not sure if we'd still get the point perk.

Personal:

Business:

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:
But if you have a Samsung phone, the Altitude Reserve is hard to beat if you truly want to carry only one card. (4.5%) on mobile pay.

Works with Apple Pay too.  Points are worth 3% in cash or 4.5% in travel.

Message 12 of 29
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

The SPG Biz works out well in my situation because the wife and I like the Marriott properties (not to fond of how the merger is shaking out but that's another story) and with 2 monster, gas guzzling SUVs, her Civic SI, and my Scat Pack Charger, we burn through a lot of fuel and the 4x points work out well.  We have no children so we dine out a lot so it works well there also.  We both have cell phones and she has one for work and I've got my grandmother on our plan so we capitalize in that area to.  

We accumulate a lot of Marriott Rewards points in a short period of time.  I know a lot of folks didn't care for the 33% reduction in point value in the SPG-Marriott merger (and I don't blame them) but for us it was an increase as I was getting 1SPG (3Marriott points)/$ and now I'm getting 4 Marriott Points/$ and the change will easily net us an additional 1-2k points or more per month.  

Most of the properties we frequent didn't have a category change with the merger and a couple actually went down in category so this has been a win-win for us...minus the hiccups of actually merging the rewards program.  

Question, my wife works for marriott. Any idea if I can get the point value even with her discount. We're staying at Courtyards for $39-$49 a night pretty much every where we go so not sure if we'd still get the point perk.

I don't see why not.  With the SPG Biz you'll earn 6x points/$ in additional the 10x/points/$ for being a rewards member so you'll net 16 marriott reward points/$ with the exception of Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites where you'll earn 5x marriott points/$.

Message 13 of 29
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Wow.... seems like a no brainer! 

Personal:

Business:

Message 14 of 29
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

You get any bonus points charged on the credit card, but you already know you don't get the points for the stays. I too have family working at marriott/spg and the employee rate is great except not getting any points for staying at their properties. One thing I noticed recently at a Marriott in France is that I didn't even get credit for extra charges, like restaurant meals charged to my room. When I used to stay at SPG only because that's where family is, they always gave me the points for restaurant charges and parking, at least. 

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.

Message 15 of 29
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

I don't see why not.  With the SPG Biz you'll earn 6x points/$ in additional the 10x/points/$ for being a rewards member so you'll net 16 marriott reward points/$ with the exception of Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites where you'll earn 5x marriott points/$.

credit card point, yes. Not any points for stays because family rate doesn't allow points earning. Rooms are already heavily discounted. Been nagging about it for 20 years, haha.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really understand why people have 6 or more cards and use one for every type of purchase. Seems like a big hassle and you would be better getting 6 or 7 sign up bonuses and you would end up with a lot more in the end.  

Message 17 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:
But if you have a Samsung phone, the Altitude Reserve is hard to beat if you truly want to carry only one card. (4.5%) on mobile pay.

Works with Apple Pay too.  Points are worth 3% in cash or 4.5% in travel.

Right, but Apple Pay only works where there are NFC terminals.   Samsung Pay works (almost) everywhere as it can simulate a physical swipe.

Message 18 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@imaximous wrote:

You get any bonus points charged on the credit card, but you already know you don't get the points for the stays. I too have family working at marriott/spg and the employee rate is great except not getting any points for staying at their properties. One thing I noticed recently at a Marriott in France is that I didn't even get credit for extra charges, like restaurant meals charged to my room. When I used to stay at SPG only because that's where family is, they always gave me the points for restaurant charges and parking, at least. 

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.

You should get points (plus any elite status multiplier) for any@ charges made to the room outside of the room rate (unless it's one of the brands that didn't earn non-room-rate points prior to the big changes in August 2018).  Shoot an email to the front desk to request the points or contact @MarriottRewards on Twitter.  I had a similar issue with points not automatically posting for cash upgrade and other charges made to our room in Paris this year.  The Twitter team took a day to get back to me, then they forwarded my request to the hotel.  The hotel got back to me with an apology and stated that they should have been credited automatically and said they would put them through again.  I still didn't see the points a few weeks later and followed up; the 20k or so points were in my account the following day!

Message 19 of 29
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

One of my rules is never to carry more than 3 cards in my wallet at any one time.  If you're slicing and dicing your spending onto 4 or more cards, you've probably passed the point of diminishing returns.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.